Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 13:46 #826870

• Mr_Blonde
  • Mr_Blonde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I picked up this 1982 KZ750-E3 from a friends garage a couple weeks ago. This is my first bike, ever. After comparing the current and original odometers, bike has ~19200 miles on it. The plan is to get it running (hadn't been started in ~2 years) and do some body modifications of my own to bring it back to a stock-ish look. Before it was mine it had already been upgraded with pod filters, LED headlight, tail lights, turn signals, and low profile tach- and speedometer. The tail portion of the frame was hacked off just past the shock mounts and welded with a cross bar. A rear fairing was fabricated over the original and the mounting points were modified to accommodate. The seat is thin and "fastened" to the fabed bodywork with glue and velcro (I shit you not) that has since melted and failed.

I've gotten it to start and run for 8-10 seconds, after lots of carb cleaner and starter fluid spraying.

Killed my solenoid, will be replacing.

The guy I got it from gave me a box full of original and spare parts he had laying around, so I reinstalled the original tach/speed display because I like bulky things with lots of lights (was also my first foray into the mess that is the wiring).

Ultimately I plan on keeping the lime green color. I want to put a stock-ish two person seat back onto it so I might find a donor frame cutoff to rebuild the back of the frame. Not sure if I want to keep the tail fairing or if I want to go the minimalistic route with just a rear fender.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 14:04 #826872

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Mr_Blonde wrote: .............. Before it was mine it had already been upgraded with pod filters................

Upgraded? No offense intended, but in my not so humble opinion pod filters are not really an upgrade for most folks riding on the street. A LOT of motorcycle experience and expertise went into designing the air box and air filter. However, I'm sure there will be some who disagree. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 14:17 #826875

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

650ed wrote:

Mr_Blonde wrote: .............. Before it was mine it had already been upgraded with pod filters................

Upgraded? No offense intended, but in my not so humble opinion pod filters are not really an upgrade for most folks riding on the street. A LOT of motorcycle experience and expertise went into designing the air box and air filter. However, I'm sure there will be some who disagree. Ed

Fair enough. Perhaps to put it more accurately - "modified" with pod filters?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 14:19 #826876

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 381
Looks like you may have a bit of electrical work to do :unsure: As long as you don't go sticking things back together with velcro... ;)

I have a bit of a tough time with the back end of the 750E. Sometimes I think it looks good, other times I just find it to bulky. Am interested to see what you end up doing.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 15:42 #826877

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Super cool! Another 750 project! They are coming out of the woodwork here!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you in regards to that seat. Velcro? Lord have mercy! Finding a decent 750E seat can be a challenge. Same for tanks, but it looks like you are good in that regard.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 19:23 #826898

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
I found a replacement '81 KZ750e seat on fleabay. Be careful, check the bottom view of the pan. Many said they had "e" seats when they weren't. And the "no rust holes" seat I received had areas completely eaten through.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 19:25 #826899

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

Skidmark wrote: I found a replacement '81 KZ750e seat on fleabay. Be careful, check the bottom view of the pan. Many said they had "e" seats when they weren't. And the "no rust holes" seat I received had areas completely eaten through.

Well technically if there's nothing left then there wouldn't be any "rust holes" :silly:

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 19:29 #826900

• Mr_Blonde
  • User
@650ed in your "not so humble opinion" how big of a deal would it be to revert back to the OEM airbox (which I have in the box)? I'm assuming not as easy as just sticking back onto the carbs as they were rejetted to accomodate the pod filters. I am open to any and all advice because I really do want to learn as much as I can and enjoy getting the most I can out of this bike!

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 29 May 2020 19:49 #826901

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Mr_Blonde wrote: @650ed in your "not so humble opinion" how big of a deal would it be to revert back to the OEM airbox (which I have in the box)? I'm assuming not as easy as just sticking back onto the carbs as they were rejetted to accomodate the pod filters. I am open to any and all advice because I really do want to learn as much as I can and enjoy getting the most I can out of this bike!

If you already have the airbox I don't think switching back would be too much trouble. Aside from returning the carb jetting to stock, you would need the airbox to carb boots and the spring rings that hold them to the carbs, the two little metal brackets that attach the side of the airbox near the back to the frame, the little hose that connects the airbox to the engine breather, and depending on whether or not you already have it the round gixmo (#7) that sits inside the bottom of the airbox and holds the bottom of the filter in place. Of course you also would need the stock filter. It sound like you already have the had part (the airbox). I think many if not all the bits an d pieces are available on eBay. The image below may help my description. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 30 May 2020 02:57 #826912

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Another vote for stock airbox.
Look up your bike in the parts diagrams, they list stock jet sizes. If it shows other sizes it will say "option" next to it.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 16 Jun 2020 11:26 #828298

• Mr_Blonde
  • User
Some updates -

Replaced the purple handle bars with black Emgo Superbikes. Found a 750F seat on eBay, have the dampers, hinge pins and what not ordered. I did some of the “aftermarket” mounting points for the old seat and cowling. Also have a rear cutoff section of frame on route as a donor for the mounting points and support that we’re cutoff.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 09 Jul 2020 17:12 #830231

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

Next step in the project was modding the exhaust while also fixing a leak at the header (found out only two of the headers had the copper gaskets in place >_<

Previous owner (or previous previous owner) had spray can'd the Vance & Hines exhaust orange....I don't know why. But some aircraft grade spray on paint stripper took care of that and brought it back to OE chrome - much better in my opinion. Tried to decide what to do with the down pipes. Did some research on exhaust wrapping, the pros and cons.

Decided to do it, if only for cosmetic purposes only. Some said it helps keep heat away from the rider, but the pipes are routed such that they aren't close enough to my feet/legs for that to be an issue (at least I don't think). Then there's the camp that says it helps keep excess heat from coming back to the engine (and by doing so increasing horsepower). I don't necessarily buy into that, but if that truly is the case cool, its a plus in my book.

I think it looks cool. It's my first attempt at it. I'm sure I made some mistakes. The ladder ties I used seemed pretty shitty....hard to tighten securely enough without excessive coercion..... might end up buying some standard screw hose clamps from Home Depot if they fail.

More to come - hopefully mounting tomorrow (or the next day.....or the next day).
Attachments: