KZ550 Mods

• mad_mods_alex
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2020 13:18 #826499 by mad_mods_alex
KZ550 Mods was created by mad_mods_alex
Got ahold of this 83 KZ550. Only downside for me is it's shaft driven. Been wanting to build a bobber for some time now and this will have to do. I may eventually sell it unless it grows on me. Seeing that this is my first motorcycle, Iv'e only driven dirtbikes and 4wheelers growing up I always wanted to get into the road bike scene. I'm a mechanic by trade with 10+ years experience and so far this is becoming a great learning experience for me. My father owns a 96 Shadow that was already converted to a bobber and that is what got me hooked on trying to find a motorcycle of my own. I have torn that one down to the frame and am currently working on getting that one back to clean working order. Going through the frame repairs that needed to be done by the guy who did the conversion and resealing the engine for all the leaks. Once I'm finished with that one I will be going full time on mine.

This bike has been sitting for a couple years in the back of our shop and I got the owner to let it go and trading out some labor so it's a good deal for me. Not too sure on the exact route on the build theme wise but I've always liked steampunk look for motorcycles. We will see how this goes.

Starting on resealing the carbs as that was the main complain when we first got into it, owner just lost concern for it. I will also replace small things here and there as I need to in order to get it running properly. Plugs, wires, oil change, coolant fuel tank clean out, etc.

Any advice or criticism is appreciated like I said first time owner and first time really tearing into a motorcycle for me. Enjoy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
27 May 2020 16:10 #826684 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ550 Mods
Welcome to the forum! I would advise you get it up and running and ride it a bit to make sure you like it before committing to a bob job. Nothing sucks more than putting a bunch of time and money into a bike only to realize you don't like it. If its relatively stock you may be able to recoup your costs if you sell. The resale value on these chopped bikes is very very low.

More
27 May 2020 16:30 - 27 May 2020 16:33 #826686 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ550 Mods

DoctoRot wrote: Welcome to the forum! I would advise you get it up and running and ride it a bit to make sure you like it before committing to a bob job. Nothing sucks more than putting a bunch of time and money into a bike only to realize you don't like it. If its relatively stock you may be able to recoup your costs if you sell. The resale value on these chopped bikes is very very low.

What? Are you say steampunk ( steampunkworkshop.com/dave-geertsens-steampunk-motorcycle/ ) is not everyone's idea of the perfect bike? Amazing! Gosh, I wish I was creative enough to do that to my 1977 KZ650-C1. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

STEAMPUNK

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2020 16:33 by 650ed.