Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 09 May 2020 17:30 #825349

• fixitmann
  • fixitmann's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
So I pulled my old KZ750E out of a shed that it had languished sadly in for the past several years.
I felt really guilty as I bought this bike brand new and it was like I had mistreated an old friend.
Its also been a few years since I have been active on here and looking through the forums I am glad to see so many of you all restoring and taking care of these bikes.
She is pretty rough but there is life still in the old girl and its going to be put back into safe riding condition again.
Here she starting the process hanging from my car lift which makes it handy for working on.

Surprisingly or not she fired up with the addition of fresh gas although the carburetors are leaking.
Front master cylinder is pretty bad, the rear flushed out and seems to be working.
Going to need fork seals.
Some of the more observant may have noticed that it doesn't have a black engine.
The engine that is currently in it is from a 80 750H, I still have the original but I swapped it over for this one since I acquired the H as a parts bike years ago and it had less than 20,000 miles on it. I still have the original but it was starting to smoke a little from 50,000+ miles. It may someday get an overhaul but not right now.
I am planning on pulling the head though since it is leaking a little oil from a bad o-ring.
Here is a picture from a few years back when she was a calendar girl here on KZ rider.

And one from a trip the wife and I took back in 1982 from KC to Colorado.

We have a history and a lot of shared miles...."
Will update as it come along.
So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 09 May 2020 17:47 #825351

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Nice! "Pretty rough" seem not very to me, but I started with a lot worse. Glad to see you are bringing it back to life! Pretty cool you are the original owner, too.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 10 May 2020 09:09 #825379

• krazee1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 197
I have your bikes twin! I purchased it a couple years ago, and with some extra time on my hands this spring got it into running condition. It had been neglected for twenty years, it's main issues were tires, brakes and carburetors Mine is a bit cosmetically challenged, but only has 5,000 miles on the odometer and runs like a Swiss watch. As much fun as it is to ride I'm tempted by a few project bikes on the forum to turn mine into a ELR or GPS tribute. Really cool you've had yours since new and have logged so many mikes together.
Mike
Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 10 May 2020 16:03 #825408

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Welcome back fixitman.
Your E1 - third photo - was my model as I gradually made improvements to mine. Almost 90,000 km on it. Last week I cleaned up some electrical, replaced brake pads and did the valve clearances. By next weekend I'll put the battery back in and have no doubt it will fire when I hit the starter button. All going well I'll get yet another year out of it ......... and so will you.

Ride on. Ride safe

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Last edit: by JR.

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 10 May 2020 16:44 #825411

• darlington
  • User
  • S. Darlington
  • Thank you received: 3
Great bike and great colour. I had he same bike and loved it. Should have kept it because of the colour. Oh well cant keep them all!
Keeping the good times rolling since 1982. Helping people with parts ,technical support and service of the 70's 80's Kawasakis. Building road bike bikes for individuals involved in Vintage Road Racing in the eastern Ontario region.

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 10 May 2020 18:38 #825419

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
If mine looked that good when I got it, I would have gone with a stock restoration. Unfortunately that was not the case!
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
Attachments:

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 13 May 2020 05:58 #825618

• fixitmann
  • User
Brief little update and a tip.
Cleaned up and bled both front and rear brakes, seem to be working with good firm feel.
Stripped done and removed carbs, coils, etc.
Pressure washed most of it.
Tip: Gatorade caps fit perfect for blocking off the intakes.
Got most of the parts on order.
I am rethinking the engine tear-down.
This one ran great and I had just done a valve adjustment when it last ran.
My son who also likes this bike is keen to re-ring the original black engine.
So we may leave this one as is, ride it for the summer and rebuild the original this coming winter and install it for next summer.
Either way it should be back on the road by the end of May or mid June!
So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.
Attachments:

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 15 May 2020 17:05 #825820

• fixitmann
  • User
Some progress today.
Resealed both front fork tubes.
Little more cleaning, not going to get too detailed as the goal is to put her back in riding condition for now.
Carb kits should arrive by the middle of next week so maybe next weekend for first trip?
We will see.
I have been looking at some of the other restorations and restovations..
Beautiful work you all are doing.
If things work out I will be making my own attempt at that this winter!!

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 15 May 2020 17:29 #825823

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
Be sure to ungang the carbs and replace the Tee and interconnect tube O-rings. They are almost guaranteed to be hard as a rock and in need of replacement based on experience.

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 24 May 2020 17:25 #826462

• fixitmann
  • User
Carb kits showed up yesterday so a quick go through with a couple cans of cleaner.
I split them and replaced the o-rings too as suggested.
Reinstalled them today.
Tomorrow I will start reinstalling the air-box, I always hated that part as the boots are a pain.
Mine are still fairly flexible but a heat gun should help if necessary.
Had to track down hoses and a valve for my old synchronizer tool as it has been so long the originals had rotted and cracked.
Shooting for an extended test ride by next weekend!!

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 20 Jun 2020 20:01 #828559

• fixitmann
  • User
Finally got the carbs straightened out.... Dang I am a expert now at R & R ing the stupid things.
Every-time I thought they were ready I would install them to find float levels were off, I must have missed some obstruction in the idle circuit..
I was beginning to give up so I took a step back for a few days.
I think I finally got it though.
Will finish some basic cleaning and hopefully it will be on the road next week if the rain hold off!!
Pictures will follow!!

Bringing my 80, KZ750E1 back to riding condition 22 Jun 2020 13:50 #828681

• fixitmann
  • User
Ok its back together and about to go on its first ride in a long time. Just a short one mainly around the neighborhood to make sure its going to be safe.
Then a quick run up and down the interstate .
Probably just ride it back and forth to work for a week or two before calling it good to go.
That's as much for me as it is the bike as its been 5-6 years since I last rode.
She shined up fairly well but I still have some wheels, cases and other aluminum bits to work on.
It really never ends... LOL
Attachments:

• Page: