Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 09 Jul 2019 13:21 #807265

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
So I'm getting set up to do some powder coating. I have a dedicated electric oven for curing, so I'm limited to whatever will fit in there. I'll have plenty of parts on the bike that I'm working on that would benefit from this, and I have a media blasting cabinet as well. I have a couple of questions. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the idea of powder coating the wheels solid black? Also, for those that have done it, what is a reasonable price to pay to have a frame powder coated, since that will be beyond the scope of what I can fit into a 30" oven. I had a friend of a friend quote $300-$400 for this. Is that a fair price? It sounds high to me.....but I'm cheap so maybe that's a decent price.

Let me know and thanks,

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 09 Jul 2019 14:23 #807268

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I had my wheels and swingarm PCed.by a local(ish) company, I think they were about euro50 each. They blasted everything first and just to prove it,left some grit on the end of the swingarm when they powdercoated it. It gives it some character,I suppose. Other than that,I asked for satin wheels and matt swingarm,or the other way round ( I cant remember now) so,just to be sure,they did everything in satin. And it only took 6 weeks!!
I did some small bits myself at my local bike shop.They came out well and I enjoyed doing it. My frame I just paint painted.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 06:43 #807303

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the idea of powder coating the wheels solid black?

I prefer the stock look for the wheels, silver & black. Instead of using masking tape on the center of the spokes, I applied wheel bearing grease using my finger >> just touch the grease in the tub with your index finger, touch index finger to thumb or whatever to remove excess, then pat pat pat along the center of the spoke. It doesn't take much grease to prevent the paint from sticking. I used the same method to do the engine covers & emblems.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 06:46 #807304

• Webbie1
  • User

martin_csr wrote: Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the idea of powder coating the wheels solid black?

I prefer the stock look for the wheels, silver & black. Instead of using masking tape on the center of the spokes, I applied wheel bearing grease using my finger >> just touch the grease in the tub with your index finger, touch index finger to thumb or whatever to remove excess, then pat pat pat along the center of the spoke. It doesn't take much grease to prevent the paint from sticking.

That's good for paint, but wouldn't work for powdercoating because when you went to cure the powder in the oven the grease would melt off. But I wonder if there is a substance that could be used like that which WOULDN'T melt.....seems like a good idea.

Warner

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 06:48 #807305

• Webbie1
  • User

davido wrote: I had my wheels and swingarm PCed.by a local(ish) company, I think they were about euro50 each. They blasted everything first and just to prove it,left some grit on the end of the swingarm when they powdercoated it. It gives it some character,I suppose. Other than that,I asked for satin wheels and matt swingarm,or the other way round ( I cant remember now) so,just to be sure,they did everything in satin. And it only took 6 weeks!!
I did some small bits myself at my local bike shop.They came out well and I enjoyed doing it. My frame I just paint painted.

Well, I should be able to do anything up to the size that will fit into a 30" oven. So probably even the swingarm, but definitely not the frame. I could do everything up to the baking or curing part....so to pay $400 just to rent a big oven for an hour seems excessive to me.....but maybe I'm just too logical (or cheap!)

Warner

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 07:06 #807308

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
That's good for paint, but wouldn't work for powdercoating because when you went to cure the powder in the oven the grease would melt off. But I wonder if there is a substance that could be used like that which WOULDN'T melt.....seems like a good idea.

My mistake. I meant using paint, instead of powder coating. I used Duplicolor engine paint w ceramic. I wiped off the greased areas after the paint dried to the touch, then let the paint air cure for a day or two, then baked the wheels in a low temp oven. I think maybe 20 mins at 175o, then another 20-30 mins at 225o or something like that. The paint has held up well & I'm not aware of any chips or anything and it certainly hasn't peeled or flaked off anywhere.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 12:31 #807328

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
What about building an extension to the oven? A 'space blanket' tent or something similar, big enough to take the frame. Or a plywood box,lined with aluminium foil. Take the door off the oven and away you go.
Or is that a stupid idea? As dangerous as it sounds? Could it work? Is it the best idea Ive had all day?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 12:42 #807329

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27

Webbie1 wrote: Also, for those that have done it, what is a reasonable price to pay to have a frame powder coated, since that will be beyond the scope of what I can fit into a 30" oven. I had a friend of a friend quote $300-$400 for this. Is that a fair price? It sounds high to me.....but I'm cheap so maybe that's a decent price..

Just had my third one done. $300 - $400 for blasting and powder? $300 sounds like a good deal and $400 might be a little high for just the frame. I just this done for ~$450

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
Attachments:

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 13:04 #807330

• Webbie1
  • User

jayrodoh wrote:

Webbie1 wrote: Also, for those that have done it, what is a reasonable price to pay to have a frame powder coated, since that will be beyond the scope of what I can fit into a 30" oven. I had a friend of a friend quote $300-$400 for this. Is that a fair price? It sounds high to me.....but I'm cheap so maybe that's a decent price..

Just had my third one done. $300 - $400 for blasting and powder? $300 sounds like a good deal and $400 might be a little high for just the frame. I just this done for ~$450

I just had a local place (not a friend of a friend) with very good reviews quote me $250 for blasting and coating. So I'll go there when I'm ready to....

www.mpscoatings.com/

Warner

Last edit: by Webbie1.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 13:06 #807332

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27

Webbie1 wrote: I just had a local place (not a friend of a friend) with very good reviews quote me $250 for blasting and coating. So I'll go there when I'm ready to....

That's awesome if the work is good! I had to shop around to get where I was at.
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 10 Jul 2019 17:56 #807335

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
Not all powder is created equal. Urethane powder is much more durable than polyester.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 11 Jul 2019 05:17 #807347

• Webbie1
  • User
Well, here's my first attempt at powder coating. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially based on the condition that I started with. I have a LOT to learn, but it's a fun process.

Warner

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Nessism, martin_csr, jayrodoh

• Page: