Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 11 Jul 2019 06:50 #807356

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 620
Great..., just great!

Now slmjim is mumbling & convulsing, 'cause the tool junkie within is needing a powder coating kit fix. :dry:

Seriously though, nice job!

As to martin_csr's use of grease for paint masking:
slmjim learned to do that as a kid to mask the windows, headlights & such when painting clear slot car bodies in the day, but used Vaseline instead of grease. Still use it to this day. Can't vouch for Brand X petroleum jellies. The oils in grease tend to migrate (creep) across a surface, which can compromise fine painted edges. Vaseline doesn't do that.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 11 Jul 2019 07:16 #807360

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Great..., just great!

Now slmjim is mumbling & convulsing, 'cause the tool junkie within is needing a powder coating kit fix. :dry:

slmjim learned to do that as a kid to mask the windows, headlights & such when painting clear slot car bodies in the day, but used Vaseline instead of grease. Still use it to this day. Can't vouch for Brand X petroleum jellies. The oils in grease tend to migrate (creep) across a surface, which can compromise fine painted edges. Vaseline doesn't do that.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thanks for the encouraging words. Honestly, it wasn't big bucks to give it a try. I bought the harbor freight kit, which is normally $70. They had it on sale for $60 last weekend, and I had a 20% off coupon, so it was $48 plus tax. Then I bought a used electric oven off of Craigslist locally for $65 and wired it up in my garage. So I'll probably recoup my money after doing a few parts.

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 11 Jul 2019 07:40 #807362

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27

Webbie1 wrote:

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thanks for the encouraging words. Honestly, it wasn't big bucks to give it a try. I bought the harbor freight kit, which is normally $70. They had it on sale for $60 last weekend, and I had a 20% off coupon, so it was $48 plus tax. Then I bought a used electric oven off of Craigslist locally for $65 and wired it up in my garage. So I'll probably recoup my money after doing a few parts.

Warner

Looks great!
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

Powder coating....thoughts and questions 11 Jul 2019 07:56 #807364

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

jayrodoh wrote:

Webbie1 wrote:

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Warner

Looks great!

Thank you! Here's what it looked like when I started.

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F
Attachments:

• Page: