Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 09:26 #799254

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Love the work you been doing! Everything done with quality. Wheels look great! Post a picture of her once you are done with the upgrades of her in the sunshine with some nice background to to it justice.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 12:29 #799261

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Move0ver, just a suggestion.
The Tarozzi rear brake mechanism get a lot of play over the time into the joints.
I made a bracket for the rear MC and a banjo bolt brake switch. Works great for me with no Play.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 12:53 #799263

• Move0ver
  • Move0ver's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
When you say joint play, do you mean left/right movement in the barrel actuator linkage?

My MC is mounted pretty much the same way as yours only on the inside of the frame

I appreciate the advice, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying.

Edit:
I'll add, I've modified the drum brake version of the tarrozzi rear sets to work, meaning I'm still utilizing the stock brake pivot to actuate the piston.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 13:24 #799270

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
I am talking about the extra linkage mechanism.

Attachments:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 13:33 #799271

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
You can adjust the leveler with this pin to the right angle you need.

Attachments:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 14:14 #799274

• Move0ver
  • User
Got it.

I see what you're getting at, with reducing the number of pivot points (you're using a direct link from the pedal to the MC rod, I'm using like... 3 pivot points).
I see a few improvements I can make in tolerances, but I'll try using this current setup first. The alternate is to just create a completely new arm that directly link the pedal to the rod, much like your setup (albeit with a big angle in it).

The pin between the new arm and the master cylinder is a very tight tolerance, but the two pins in the linkage between the foot peg and the barrel have significantly less. I could look at machining up two new pins and a new H-linkage to remove any slop in the system. The barrel fits over the frame mount very snugly, and when properly lubricated operates smoothly.

While I had no complaints of sloppiness when using these with the drum brake, I can imagine there will be some things more apparent with the new setup.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 26 Feb 2019 15:35 #799283

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
Give it a try and expand your MC to the outside of the frame with some longer bolts and washers, just like proof of concept.

It´s an easy try and error, i have go the same way as you first and ended up with my Setup.
Attachments:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 27 Feb 2019 08:06 #799330

• Move0ver
  • User
Changed the oil and replaced the leaky stator cover grommet:

Got the supplies from johnnys vintage. He loves Spectro oil, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I wasn't sure if I still had the oil filter washer so I ordered a spare... sure enough, I'd lost it at some past oil change.

Whoever removed the cover last sure loved red RTV...

It's a good thing I'm replacing the whole sub-harness...

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 27 Feb 2019 08:07 #799331

• Move0ver
  • User
Cleaned up:

And new wires/grommet installed

Also... thanks to johhnys for the tip....
studs are great for holding the gasket in place:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 10:56 #799401

• Move0ver
  • User
Axle spacers are coming along:

And the side covers are cleared

I'm not going to use the 900-DOHC emblems on the side covers, because the Giuliari seat already has that on it... but the side covers look naked.
Any suggestions on striping or decals (OEM or custom) that I could use to make them flow better?

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 11:32 #799402

• KZErider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Maybe mimic the striping on tank and tail piece on the side covers, but in black.(?)
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 11:35 #799403

• Move0ver
  • User

KZErider wrote: Maybe mimic the striping on tank and tail piece on the side covers, but in black.(?)

I was thinking something like that. The bike is actually "Moro Blue" it's an Audi color that is a deep blue when the sun hits it.