1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2018 19:35 #780360 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 00:02 #781985 by RLBuddi
Replied by RLBuddi on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.

Kray-Z wrote: Unless it is a 2K paint, I'm surprised that you did as well with rattle cans, unless you took the pics when it was still wet....

No sir, this was Bomgaars Store tractor paint, highly recommended by a good buddy who does a lot of body work, ...he said it was very nice paint to work with. I agree with him! This was Black Gloss made by Van Sickle. Gonna use 2K clear when I repaint it.

More
07 Aug 2018 22:15 #788435 by RLBuddi
Progress

More
08 Aug 2018 08:42 #788461 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Looking good. Feels good when it comes together after all the work.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

More
09 Aug 2018 06:37 #788516 by RLBuddi
This is the first time I've ever tried to paint anything before. I got soooooooooooo much prep time put into this project, ..basically, I'd spent all last winter and most of the summer prepping, and just simply trying to learn as much as I possibly could prior to any attempt. I can't believe it!! About half embarrassed by how much time I've got wrapped up into just the prep work alone.

I think I made a little mistake by painting this in the hot blazing sun, ...then, after final clear coat, left everything out in the sun hoping to bake it dry. However, pretty sure it'd caused a scaly/flakey like texture in a few places.

Also too, I'd never used bondo before, but think it must have been absorbing a lil bit of moisture, ...dunno, but the bondo was done @ the beginning of winter, therefore it had been through a lot and was exposed to a lot over time (from a material standpoint)

Yeah, it's been a long, interesting and rather fun learning curve for me!! Wish I would've had a better, cleaner place to do my paint/clear BUT ...bottom line, it looks WAY better now. Thank you all!!! Thanks for all the great help I'd received from you fine folks here!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
09 Aug 2018 14:49 #788545 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Thumbs up for your paint job, no one is perfect (me too).
Waiting for the final bike pics!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi