1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.

More
15 Dec 2017 12:30 - 15 Dec 2017 15:32 #776090 by RLBuddi
1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project. was created by RLBuddi
I've painted the side panels, tank and tail x2 now. I didn't have a "good" place to paint so outdoors it was. I couldn't get away from leaves, dirt, dust and bugs getting into my paint. So, plans are to put up some plastic sheet walls up and use a space heater to heat within PRIOR to painting but NOT during. Will clean and wet the floor a little to hold dust down. Since most of the dirt and dust come from the painter himself, what can a guy wear that would help?
Last edit: 15 Dec 2017 15:32 by RLBuddi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
05 Jan 2018 10:04 #776966 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Hey, I have the same problems - I don't have a good place to spray now until I build a new shop where I can paint in a separate "clean" room. As far as what to wear, those disposable coveralls that car painters use is the best. I find keeping dust out after spraying is the hardest. If you can, dampen your floor slightly before starting to paint. Wear clothes just out of the wash. I have problems with a tiny fly species here that seems to be magnetically drawn into the type of paint I like to use (Sherwin Williams). They come out of the nearby grass and swarm my parts outside as soon as I start spraying, so I've given up on outside completely.. The only other place I have right now is ok, except not heated and next to no light. I've missed entire tubes while painting frames in that low light.....

Just a few things I see in your pictures that I hope can help - you have a lot of orange peel - check your pressure and fluid settings - too much paint, not enough pressure, maybe holding the tip too close to the parts. 8 - 12" minimum, staying perpendicular as much as possible. Mix a little on the runny side. Get a decent gun, if you don't have one already. Something like Devilbis "Finishing Line" or better quality for base and topcoat spraying. Yes, there is a difference. My good guns spray beautifully at 20 - 25 psi, my cheap ones need 30 - 40 to even work half - ass-ed ok. Save the cheaper guns for primers and painting small chassis parts.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi

More
05 Jan 2018 10:24 #776969 by RLBuddi
Replied by RLBuddi on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
This is rattle can paint. Would've prolly turned out ok if the darn bugs weren't so bad. And my silly ass swarming around to look at it.

Kray-Z wrote: Hey, I have the same problems - I don't have a good place to spray now until I build a new shop where I can paint in a separate "clean" room. As far as what to wear, those disposable coveralls that car painters use is the best. I find keeping dust out after spraying is the hardest. If you can, dampen your floor slightly before starting to paint. Wear clothes just out of the wash. I have problems with a tiny fly species here that seems to be magnetically drawn into the type of paint I like to use (Sherwin Williams). They come out of the nearby grass and swarm my parts outside as soon as I start spraying, so I've given up on outside completely.. The only other place I have right now is ok, except not heated and next to no light. I've missed entire tubes while painting frames in that low light.....

Just a few things I see in your pictures that I hope can help - you have a lot of orange peel - check your pressure and fluid settings - too much paint, not enough pressure, maybe holding the tip too close to the parts. 8 - 12" minimum, staying perpendicular as much as possible. Mix a little on the runny side. Get a decent gun, if you don't have one already. Something like Devilbis "Finishing Line" or better quality for base and topcoat spraying. Yes, there is a difference. My good guns spray beautifully at 20 - 25 psi, my cheap ones need 30 - 40 to even work half - ass-ed ok. Save the cheaper guns for primers and painting small chassis parts.

More
05 Jan 2018 12:41 #776977 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Space heater with atomized paint products hanging in the air scares the crap out of me. Don't turn your garage into a bomb. Do not use anything with an open flame for a pilot or heating mechanism I too create a makeshift paint booth with sheets of plastic, but I won't paint unless it is warm enough to do so.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
05 Jan 2018 13:59 #776980 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.

RLBuddi wrote: This is rattle can paint. Would've prolly turned out ok if the darn bugs weren't so bad. And my silly ass swarming around to look at it.

Really? Rattle cans! Up here in the nation that leads the world in being just north of the USA, our environmentally friendly rattle cans plain don't dry with any kind of high gloss finish. They go on looking great, but as they dry, turn a semi-gloss at best. I would never use rattle cans if I didn't hate cleaning the guns so much. I have had a few cans of gloss black paint given to me from the USA that were much better than what we can buy at the hardware store.

Unless it is a 2K paint, I'm surprised that you did as well with rattle cans, unless you took the pics when it was still wet....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
06 Jan 2018 15:46 #777017 by Don R
Replied by Don R on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
I make a spray booth out of a big cardboard box and keep my work inside of it. when done gently cover and walk away.

More
26 Feb 2018 22:27 - 26 Feb 2018 22:28 #779453 by RLBuddi
It was still kinda wet, but this was some tractor paint I was told about, it came from Bomgaars and was really nice to work with and looked good, but it turned out like crap due to bugs and dust. I will be using SprayMax 2K high gloss as my clear coat though.

I like the make-shift cardboard box booth idea. I think I may try it.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2018 22:28 by RLBuddi.

More
01 Mar 2018 00:43 #779586 by RLBuddi

ajsfirehawk wrote: Space heater with atomized paint products hanging in the air scares the crap out of me. Don't turn your garage into a bomb. Do not use anything with an open flame for a pilot or heating mechanism..........

No no no! Never that! Lol ....yeah, my buddy was painting a bike frame in his basement when suddenly the hot water heater pilot light ignited the air over-spray and fumes suspended in the air. He said flames went up his pant leg and burned most his leg hair and pubic hair. He'd said he learned a valuable lesson that day. To die by fire would be one helluva horrible way to go, not for me. ;) B) B)

More
03 Mar 2018 08:52 #779690 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Bingo. Wow, terrifying about your buddy. That had to be rough on Mr Sniffy.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

More
16 Mar 2018 15:24 #780350 by RLBuddi

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2018 17:27 #780352 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 1982 1100 Spectre ...ongoing project.
Not even a cheap tarp to keep all that moisture off of it? :(

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
16 Mar 2018 19:23 #780359 by RLBuddi
I'd been dinkin around with it, then duty called and was OTR when all this snow came. But I do have a bike cover for it.