New to this site, Kawasaki 1979 Z1R Project, help?

More
07 Nov 2016 19:47 #747526 by greystroke
So about 2 years ago I bought this kawasaki z1r and its been a while just doing little things when I had time from school and after work. Needless to say progress wasn't fast, nor very quality seeing as my end goal was just to get to a point where I could just start it up and see if it ran well. I've made sure that the engine turned over manually so in theory it should, after I rebuilt and cleaned the carbs. found a decent replacement to the petcock as a few other minor things. My major hangup has been the brakes, all the brakes were like brand new so I didn't bother finding replacements for them, and once I flushed the brake lines and the front and rear reservoir of all that old crud and put them back on, I tried to get the brake fluid to go into the pistons to bleed the brakes. The rear one took a little while but it went through and it has a good amount of pressure. The front is where I'm having a serious problem. I'm pretty sure that it is the front master cylinder that is leaking out of the piston but I'm not really sure, after I took it a part and inspected the innards, cleaned it real well, and put it back together with a new dust boot. I couldn't find a replacement for the piston assembly so I was just hoping for the best after a good cleaning, Atlas no good and it still doesn't pull any brake fluid into the lines, instead it seems to come out where the piston is. Just been lurking for a while and haven't really seen anyone else have this problem or at least they figured it out. I'd really appreciate some ideas or somewhere to get a new piston assembly.

Oh also I really wanted to repaint it the original factory color, the silver blue color, if anyone knows a paint code or a way to get one that'd be really helpful, but very far down the line.

I'll also put a picture of the day I got the bike, its pretty rough!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2016 19:53 #747528 by greystroke
Just learned I probably should I put this under chassis, oops didn't know. Sorry.

More
08 Nov 2016 07:33 #747555 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic New to this site, Kawasaki 1979 Z1R Project, help?
i have this saved under z1r front master cylinder rebuild.

i believe this is the same kit that a 78 kz1000 uses.
while the piston is slightly different it has been reported to work.

hth,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: greystroke

More
08 Nov 2016 07:52 - 08 Nov 2016 07:53 #747558 by Patton

greystroke wrote: ... kawasaki z1r major hangup has been the brakes front master cylinder...leaking out of the piston but I'm not really sure, after I took it a part and inspected the innards, cleaned it real well, and put it back together with a new dust boot. I couldn't find a replacement for the piston assembly so I was just hoping for the best after a good cleaning, Atlas no good and it still doesn't pull any brake fluid into the lines, instead it seems to come out where the piston is. Just been lurking for a while and haven't really seen anyone else have this problem or at least they figured it out. I'd really appreciate some ideas or somewhere to get a new piston assembly....

There are two orifices between bore and reservoir. One is tiny, and might still be clogged.

A bore not too severely pitted can remain leak-free even using the old piston if cups are in good (not torn) condition.

Was there any indication of leaking past the piston before disassembly and cleaning?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Nov 2016 07:53 by Patton.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
08 Nov 2016 19:55 - 08 Nov 2016 19:55 #747603 by DOHC

greystroke wrote: The front is where I'm having a serious problem.

I wrote that original post saying that the K&L kit works just fine in the Z1R (it's still working in my bike anyway). But it looks like my original thread is corrupted (server error). Here is the third page anyway: kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/569907-z1r-f...tute?start=40#659778

And I agree with Patton. You should remove the plastic elbow on the top of the MC and make sure both of those fluid ports are open. The front one (closer to the hose connection) is very small and frequently clogged.

As for the paint code, I've heard several people claim to have reproduced it, but I've never heard anyone share their code or formula. They want to sell premixed paint. Here is one example: paintworkz.com/customersZ1photos.html

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 08 Nov 2016 19:55 by DOHC.

More
08 Nov 2016 22:08 #747608 by larriken
Nice Z1R mate, that will be a sweet ride when you get it finished. I painted mine using Havasu Blue which was a colour used on Honda cars. I had nothing to compare it to when I got it done but have since put it up next to an original and it is pretty damn close. Here is a pic of my body work.
Attachments:

More
09 Nov 2016 11:09 #747639 by Mcdroid
BTW Greystroke, it is likely you have a 1978 Z1R, not a 1979 Z1R. The 1979 model was not marketed in North America (only in Europe and only 300 units were sold there). The 1979 model is very rare.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
09 Nov 2016 18:46 - 09 Nov 2016 18:50 #747683 by greystroke
larriken your paint color is dam near close to what I thought the color was, I might take that idea of yours when I get mine paint ready. Its beautiful.
Mcdroid Is there anyway I could tell the difference other than just knowing that they're rare? I thought the title said 1979 but I'll have to double check now. Thanks for the information!

Patton and dohc when I disassembled it I noticed the really small one but never found anything to fit in there small enough, but when I take it apart again I'll give it a shot. Thanks and I don't really it acting like it was leaking before disassembly and I don't know if there is a problem with the bore that could be an issue too. How would you recommend cleaning it?

Thanks for all the responses!

Also how rare are Z1R-TCs?
Last edit: 09 Nov 2016 18:50 by greystroke.

More
10 Nov 2016 02:45 - 10 Nov 2016 02:47 #747695 by Mcdroid

greystroke wrote: Mcdroid Is there anyway I could tell the difference other than just knowing that they're rare? I thought the title said 1979 but I'll have to double check now. Thanks for the information!

Yes there is...log onto www.zedder.com...scroll down to 'bike info' click and then find the '1000' motorcycles. Sequentially open up both the KZ1000D1 and KZ1000D3 databases and compare the ranges given for the motor and frames VINs. Those that fall between the ranges are those of the D2 (1979) VINs. Use the VIN and info on your motorcycle, rather than what has been registered on your title.

I have only met (on-line) a few folks with a genuine D2 Z1R's...and they were in France and Germany.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 10 Nov 2016 02:47 by Mcdroid.

More
11 Nov 2016 11:57 #747771 by MDZ1rider
D2's had the 20l tank with the centered fill port and 19" front rim like the D3's. The D1's had the 13l tank with the right offset fill and 18" front rim. Your tank is from a D1. I can't tell the rim size from the photos. Checking the VIN will tell you for sure. The Z1R's were not great sellers when new. Dealers had lots of leftovers. The title may say 79 based on the sale date.

If it turns out you really do have a D2, the correct color would be Ebony (Black) or Luminous Dark Red.

As far as the rarity of the Z1R-TC's, documentation is sketchy, but 500 is what most people accept. There were 250 silver and 250 of the Black Mollys. The problem is no one has a list of the actual VINs that were converted to TC's. There's a guy who claims to have the list, but he won't release it. He will verify if your VIN is a real Z1R-TC if you e-mail him. He also says he has 5 of them. All the parts are available to convert a Z1R to a Z1R-TC, including the graphics and even reproduction owners manual supplement. It wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to take an $8-10K Z1R D1 and turn it into a $25K+ Z1R-TC. With only 250 Black Mollys made, I must have seen half of them on EBay over the last couple years. Just like art, if an item becomes valuable enough, someone will be tempted to make a fake or forgery.

More
11 Nov 2016 13:39 #747777 by greystroke
The only reason I asked is because my dad in the 70s was one of the dealers who sent them off to get converted in California. We have one of them but the paint isn't original. I think this dealership was in either New Orleans or baton rouge. I'd have to ask him againot. Just curious of how they've held up over the years.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
12 Nov 2016 06:30 - 12 Nov 2016 06:31 #747806 by DOHC

greystroke wrote: Patton and dohc when I disassembled it I noticed the really small one but never found anything to fit in there small enough

I used a carb cleaning wire set to clean out that small hole. I have this one:
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL35-3498

I'm curious about what year your bike is. If you post the frame and engine numbers I can look it up for you.

As for the Z1R-TC, most everyone agrees that there were 500 bikes converted, out of a total run of about 17,000 standard 1978 Z1Rs. As MDZ1rider mentioned, they can go for $20k or more now. Even if the TC you have doesn't wear the original paint, it's still likely very valuable. Especially since you know the history of the bike and can be certain that it's an original TC. Did your Dad get the bike new? If so, does he still have the sales slip where they made the buyer sign away any warranty and liability? That document would show the frame and engine number, and is great documentation to prove the TC is real (it adds quite a bit to the price).

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 12 Nov 2016 06:31 by DOHC.