Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1

• tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 13:28 #744620 by tv_cafewannabe
Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1 was created by tv_cafewannabe
Looking for some feedback on how to kick off my cafe racer build. I posted a "hello" in the new members forum with a pic.

The motor in my bike looks very clean, but is not currently operational. It has likely sat for 20 years with only 9500 miles on it (poor thing :( ) It kicks over smooth, shifts ok, but my compression test only showed about 75 psi on both cylinders. I put a bit of oil in the plug holes and ran the test again with no change in the results. So, I suspect either a head gasket leak or valves are out of adjustment. No matter, my long term plan is a complete top end rebuild because chances are gaskets are shot, piston rings are cheap, and I honestly have never done one before and look forward to learning (I can hold my own turning a wrench and know just enough to be dangerous).

My searching on the following question has came up with no results thus far.

The question is, do I bother with the rebuild (along with carb rebuild) to get it running and tuned this fall before I do my cafe build over the winter (in Minnesota) or do I just see if I can get it started as is (maybe see if head bolts can be torqued a bit, valves adjusted, clean up the carbs good, new plugs. patch any wiring issues, etc) just to see if the motor has the potential and do the rebuild later in the winter so I can fire it up and ride it in the spring to break in the new rings properly without it sitting for several months without even starting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 13:31 #744623 by Julian_Boolean
Replied by Julian_Boolean on topic Re:Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1
Take the engine apart and see what the internals are like, you were going to rebuild the top end anyway so you won't have lost anything by taking it apart.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
06 Oct 2016 13:38 #744627 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1
I'd patch it together and get it running if you can, before I got into the whole project.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: tv_cafewannabe

• tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 13:51 #744631 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1
I just don't want to get into a situation where I build a bike that has a hopeless motor nor rebuild a motor only to have it sit and wait to be run so long that it has lost some of that "rebuild" potential before it even sees the road.

More
06 Oct 2016 14:06 - 06 Oct 2016 14:07 #744634 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Re:Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1
Adjust the valves. The compression will most likely come up and keep increasing once it's running and the rings reseat.

Get it running and see how it runs for awhile. This helps to know what is a must do before your tear it apart.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 14:07 by GPzMOD750.

• tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 14:17 #744636 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Re:Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1
Perfect, that will be my plan!

October = get it running and plan the build
November = Start looking for the "must have parts" and tear down
December = Fabrication and fitment
January = Painting and final fitment
February = Motor rebuild
March = hopefully out on the road by the end of the month? Too optimistic in MN, maybe :dry:

More
07 Oct 2016 14:10 #744698 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Step 1 on a cafe build of an 82 KZ750M1

tv_cafewannabe wrote: I just don't want to get into a situation where I build a bike that has a hopeless motor nor rebuild a motor only to have it sit and wait to be run so long that it has lost some of that "rebuild" potential before it even sees the road.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rebuild potential". The new parts you install during the winter will still be essentially new in the spring. :-)

It's been sitting for a long time so you'll want to tackle the carbs (and the valve adjustment, obvi) first. Do you have any info on why it was parked back then? With only 9500 miles there shouldn't be anything catastrophically wrong but better to find out sooner than later.

Something else to consider: if you're planning to use a bike shop for any machining and/or fab work, you might want to start the engine rebuild before February. Other people may be getting bikes ready for spring and you could end up on a waiting list. :-) December might be a good time for such things: most people will probably be focused on the holidays.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R