KZ Cam Chain replacement

More
08 Apr 2016 20:42 #719989 by Markovich
KZ Cam Chain replacement was created by Markovich
Hi all, so I have been fighting a noise in my engine that I have determined is my cam chain and guides being at the limit. So I puulled the head and cylinders for inspection and found the chain was indeed at the upper limit per the manual. This caused the noise because the tensioner was not able to take up the slack fully anymore. I considered replacing the guides and getting a manual tensioner but knew I would be merely putting off the inevitable. So,I figured I was so far in why not? Pull the engine, split the cases, inspect everything and reassemble. Last night I prepped the engine and tonight I removed it. Currently it is sitting on my cart with two of the side covers off. I willl now try to post some pictures. I will try to update as I go. Later, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Apr 2016 20:54 #719995 by SWest

More
09 Apr 2016 02:34 #720015 by modz1r
Replied by modz1r on topic KZ Cam Chain replacement
its its anything like a Z1B i'm doing for someone the front blade may well have been snapped off and sitting in the sump !

Only the top idler was halfway decent.

More
09 Apr 2016 20:49 #720129 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic KZ Cam Chain replacement
Steve, I am already happy that I am taking this step. I have done a lot of work to the bike but internals haven't been inspected prior to this. So, I have completed the disassembly down to the cases being split. Went very well. Better than I thought at least so far. The KZP is a different setup than the earlier models with the rollers. I was able to remove the side covers and leave everything intact as I took it apart. I mean it was like voodoo to me until today. So I took pictures with my 4 year old tablet yesterday and I couldn't send them anywhere due to the old operating system so I took some more tonight so here goes: :)

Attachment 100_2341.JPG not found

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.
Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2016 20:54 #720132 by Markovich
That was a test run. Here is the rest. Later, Keith

Attachment 100_2342.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2343.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2344.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2345.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2346.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2347.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2348.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2349.JPG not found

Attachment 100_2350.JPG not found

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Apr 2016 20:56 #720133 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ Cam Chain replacement
I put this many different ways. There is a certain security in knowing what's going on between your legs. When I grab a hand full, I don't worry about something coming apart.
Steve

More
09 Apr 2016 21:07 #720135 by Markovich
I agree completely. I want to ride without worrying if I'm going to get home. Funny when I was 19yo I had a Honda 350 scrambler remember those? I don't remember ever doing any maintenance at all on it. Maybe I didn't have it long enough but really? I am 58yo and I am always looking at something. Weird huh? :)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Apr 2016 21:19 #720137 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ Cam Chain replacement
My first real bike was a 71 CL 350. Had it three years. Took it everywhere, trails, out in the desert, rode along side Harleys, other bikes and the Z1's. Rebuilt it in my apartment (got evicted for that), learned how to wrench on bikes with it. Dropped a valve, blow outs, you name it. I bought Bossie in 75 and sold it to the Honda dealer in exchange for a seat. :( I still miss that bike. :dry:
Steve

More
10 Apr 2016 18:30 #720235 by Markovich
Indeed 1st bike is always memorable. So, in true fashion I have decided to completely disassemble the engine and clean it up. I learned something today. Number 4 piston will not go thru the bore in the upper case. All the rest do. Found out the hard way. Got the crank partly out and couldn't remove it. All the books say remove the pistons first, now I know why. So I reseated the crank in the case and reinstalled the center bearing. Now I have to get a piston pin puller and remove them before I can go on. Other than that the disassembly was easy. Nown to clean and inspect once I get that crank out. Later, Keith

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Apr 2016 18:42 - 10 Apr 2016 18:43 #720238 by SWest
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2016 18:43 by SWest.

More
10 Apr 2016 18:42 - 10 Apr 2016 18:44 #720239 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic KZ Cam Chain replacement
You should be able to push a floating piston pin out with not too much effort. With the circlip out, try warming the piston up with a hair dryer and tap the pin out.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 10 Apr 2016 18:44 by missionkz.

More
17 Apr 2016 20:23 #721505 by Markovich
Yes, thought about both methods and then chickened out. Figured I would somehow screw it up without a proper tool. With my track record of having to do things at least twice I wanted to reduce the risks of my work. So, I started to do some things that were bothering me since I finished last time. Sanding down the surface rust in those hard to get areas when the motor is in. Removed the battery box and am cleaning that up proper. Well, as usual I start to get the wiring out of the way and then I say might as well clean up the wiring too. Krikey, might as well rip it all apart. Not going to do that but it sure is hard not to. Anyway, things are looking good as I move forward. Can't seem to find the seat I really want so I am going to build my own. I will post some more pics soon for all to see. Later, Keith