EZ's KZ750 LTD

More
21 Mar 2016 12:41 - 21 Mar 2016 12:42 #716570 by ezweave
EZ's KZ750 LTD was created by ezweave
So it begins...

Attachment Kz750-2.jpeg not found

First motorcycle, and it's a big bastard I am still getting used to. I ordered some BiltWell Maynard bars, hoping I can swap everything over without having too many headaches. I may have a problem with the signal indicators (which are mounted on the bars), but I can figure that out. Maynards do have a little bit of a rise section I might be able to utilize the stock mounts on. Going to have to play it by ear.

After whatever hoops I need to jump through for that (which should make the bike a bit more manageable for a n00b like myself), I think a new chain and dropping the, from all of my searching through here, heavy dual exhaust is probably in order.

Long term, I'm not going for a cafe look, but I think the bike could be lightened up a good bit by removing useless crap. There are some small crash bars up front, the rear fender, etc. The weight of the bike is a bit much for me to manage, but some of that is the fact that I'm a smaller dude (145 pounds), I learned on a 250, and all my other expertise is on 125 dirt bikes. I figure between doing short rides to get used to it, and making some small changes, I can get used to the weight (dry weight was like 493 or something new), and get it closer to 400 pounds.

I'm all ears when it comes to suggestions, though. The biggest downside is that I live smack near the capitol in Denver, so my short rides are going to be very short. Haha. At least for a month or so. Fun, but scary at the same time. Lol.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 12:42 by ezweave. Reason: attachment didn't show up

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 14:39 #716593 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic EZ's KZ750 LTD
Be extra careful of clearance between handlebar switches and fuel tank at full lock so as not to inadvertently scratch or dent the tank.

Best to first remove the tank prior to removing and replacing handlebars, but may prefer to pad the tank during the handlebar swapping exercise.

Upon conclusion of handlebar installation, very carefully check the clearance at full lock in both directions.

And don't worry too much about the bike weight, as most riders adapt very quickly, usually within the first few miles of real world riding. Or test ride a Gold Wing for a few miles, and then get back on the 750 "lightweight." :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Mar 2016 15:52 #716599 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic EZ's KZ750 LTD
I had the same issue with the front indicators. What I did was take a spare set of rear indicator stalks (I had since one of the rear indicators needed replacement) and used them to mount them on either side of the headlight at the bolt. I believe you don't need any other parts if you're clever with the grommets and other mounting bits. Good luck!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
21 Mar 2016 16:01 #716602 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic EZ's KZ750 LTD
The bars will make a huge difference. Reducing weight, not so much. I'd work on doing all the maintenance before messing with things like the exhaust.