1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Feb 2016 16:14 #710981 by iwish4a69camaro
1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod was created by iwish4a69camaro
Hey Guys-

I've got my dads shovel, but knew I wouldn't want to ride it everyday to work. So I've been looking around for a cool 70's Jap 4 bike to build to ride everyday. Something cool, but budget and not too nice that I wouldn't want to ride it all the time. I was looking for a CB750 mostly when I fell into this 1981 KZ1000 LTD. I would've preferred a bike with a kicker, but for $500 bucks with clean papers I cant argue with this gem. 9k original miles.

[IMG

It's remarkably clean for a bike this vintage for this cheap. It's all there, no hacked wiring, solid compression on all cylinders, all papers clean and clear. It wont fire due to intermittent spark, probably from a bad ignition box. I'm going scrap all that stuff and go with a Dyna setup anyway. I've had nothing but awesome luck with those. Speaking of, anyone know which Dyna fits the 81 1000 engines? I know they are slightly different from earlier bikes.

The plan here is clean it up, get it running nice and not change much unless it makes it more comfortable, faster or handle better. Trying to remain true to what the 70's style Z1 and KZ's were about. Pods, a Kerker or equivalent exhaust setup, some new bars, and lightly updated semi-stock suspension.

I do have a few questions.

I'd love to run spokes on this bike. Does anyone know which hubs will fit the dual front discs and rear disc with minimal work. I don't mind lacing them myself I just dont want a headache fitting the hubs. I'm thinking an 18" rear and 19" front to get the stance about right.....opinions?

Bars, two knee destruction's and an ankle full of hardware later I much prefer mid's to rear sets, so I plan to clean those up simply, maybe with some homemade pegs in the stock position. I also don't like leaning over the tank with a ton of weight on my wrists like most clip-ons give. Anyone ever throw a set of super bike bars on one of these got some pics?

Suspension, I imagine someone makes a set of progressive springs for the front forks. Does anyone know a direct swap rear shock that's decent for the money?

The seat, the thing has to go, am I better retaining the stock pan and just having new foam molded to the shape I want. Can any of the earlier KZ flat seats be installed? Other aftermarket options?

I think all the LTD's came with the "cruiser-ish" rear fender setups. Anyone know how hard it is to fit a 70's style "ducktail" fender to one of these. I'll be eliminating the rear fender and just want to run the stock plastic tail piece with a light tucked into it.

The tail section in question:

Thanks in advance guys, I think should be a fun build, with a cool end result.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Feb 2016 16:48 - 16 Feb 2016 16:50 #710988 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome

Progressive springs up front and got these for the rear.

Got a used seat for $40 delivered.

I like to take some stuff with me so I added some room.

Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 16:50 by SWest.

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Feb 2016 06:51 - 17 Feb 2016 06:51 #711051 by iwish4a69camaro
Replied by iwish4a69camaro on topic 1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod
Thanks for the welcome, I've been reading lots of things here on the board.

Looks like this might be the ignition setup I need, I'll have to switch to Dyna 3 Ohm coils, but that should cure any and all ignition problems. We recently did this to a friends hacked up GS550 and it worked like a champ.

www.oldbikebarn.com/dyna-s-ds2-1-electronic-ignition-system
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 06:51 by iwish4a69camaro.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 06:57 #711054 by SWest
I got mine from Z1E $139 and my Dyna coils on eBay. What coils do you have now?
Steve

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Feb 2016 07:38 #711065 by iwish4a69camaro

swest wrote: I got mine from Z1E $139 and my Dyna coils on eBay. What coils do you have now?
Steve

Stock coils on the bike now.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Feb 2016 07:51 #711067 by SWest
How many OHM's do they test out to be? Some were 3 and even 2 in the later years.
Steve

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Feb 2016 08:16 - 17 Feb 2016 08:27 #711071 by iwish4a69camaro
I havent put a meter on them yet. It's on the list of to-do.

I believe the Dyna requires 3 OHM coils. I had planned to buy their coil kit. I hate electrical problems.

How hard is it to fit an earlier tailpiece on these later bikes? Some things I've read said it involves cutting off the frame supports and welding on earlier ones, other reports say just add in bolt brackets, which seems really simple.

I'd also like to run one of these Corbin Gunfighter seats, but it seems they stop at the same time the tailpiece I want to run stop. Can one of these be fitted to a later frame? Or am I stick having the stock pan recovered and reshaped?

Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 08:27 by iwish4a69camaro.

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2016 08:39 #714615 by iwish4a69camaro
Well last night I tore into the heart of the thing. As the bike had been stored for 6 years I knew the carbs would at the least need a good cleaning. I was right, the varnish smell almost knocked me down when I pulled the bowls. I'll soak them for a couple days in PineSol then carb clean them and paint them before re-installing.

I did have a question, I will be swapping to a manual petcock, which lines can I block off that were for vacuum? As far as I know this bank only has one fuel supply line correct? Also which lines are for bowl overflow?

None of the lines were on the carbs when I picked the bike up.

Also can someone help me ID which carbs these are? I want to make sure before I order the gaskets and stuff.

• iwish4a69camaro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2016 08:40 #714616 by iwish4a69camaro

More
09 Mar 2016 16:34 #714674 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic 1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod
Hey there, congrats on the project and very exciting for sure! First off I highly highly highly recommend getting a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike, I picked one up and it makes all the difference in the world.

That being said, I am pretty darned new to bikes myself though not new to wrenching come from the automotive mechanic background a while back. I would wait for someone else to verify it for me but those look near identical to my Mikuni BS34's so shooting from the hip thats what I would guess, but again wait for someone with more experience and far smarter than me to confirm. AS for the vacuum line for the petcock, I am converting to a manual one myself. There is just one vacuum line that runs from the petcock to the carb bank. If you are asking what to plug, you need to plug the vacuum port coming from the petcock as well as the vacuum port on the carb bank... if memory serves it is carb #2 that the vacuum line goes to. Once again though, verify with someone with more experience and more brains than myself.

Best of luck and hope that helps!
- Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
11 Mar 2016 10:20 #714912 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic 1981 Daily Rider Resto-Mod
Pine Sol totally wrecked the finish on my 78' LTD carb's!!
Turned them a very dark charcoal grey/black.
And although getting grease and road grim off very well, did very little to clean the innards, passages and critical tiny emulsion holes.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650