1981 KZ305 CSR-A1 Restoration

More
03 Jun 2014 10:40 #635137 by PennChemist
1981 KZ305 CSR-A1 Restoration was created by PennChemist
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've been posting on an alternate Kawasaki vintage bike forum for a little while, but thought I'd also come over to KZrider! Been browsing a bit and realize there are many knowledgeable folk here!

So when inheriting our home from my late father-in-law came an 81 KZ305 that had been left to sit for a while. The cover had turned to dust pretty much and the bike has seen some of the elements. Not sure how long it's been sitting, or when it last ran and how it was when it was in working order so I'm starting from ground up. Here is some photos I took on my flikr page - Some photos of the bike

Began at the fuel tank. After trying to clean it up a little bit I found that the tank is a loss. There is a large portion that has rusted completely through. I've been looking for a tank for some time now. Just got a KZ750 tank I ordered yesterday which I felt might work given parts diagram comparision but unfortunately it will not fit. It's a bummer as it's quite a nice tank! So still searching for a replacement tank.

I got some oil into the bike (as it had none when I got to it). Opened the valve covers and inpected into where the oil is filled and really everything internally I could see looked good. No rust of any sort that I could see. Did seem like everything had a nice coating of oil on it though it had been sitting. No moisture or anything. Went and put some oil in the cylinders and after a few days gave the crankshaft a spin and it turned nice and easy for me. So really happy that the engine is moving.

Front brakes engage and hold tight though they don't want to let go so much. But at least function. Will get to rebuilding them in a little bit. The tires, chain, and cables I'm sure need replacing.

I removed the carbs and they are gummed up and wreak of varnish. I have had the main and secondary jets soaking in carb cleaner for a while now. Unfortunately the pilot jets were completely stripped. Pretty severly. I've been trying to extract these jets and have not been very successful. Had them sit with some PB blaster for a few days. Then went to using left-handed bits and extractors on them. One side I unfortunately have turned the jet into nothing but metal bits. Some remains sticking to the side. Really dont know what I can do... figure I have to replace the carb now. The other side still has some left. I didn't drill as much of it but still can't get it out with an extractor. I figure I will try and give it some heat via a torch to hope to losen enough to get it out. But fear I'm looking at new carbs which I didn't want to have to do. Why is the metal so silly soft? Just disintegrated on me.

And that is where I am right now. I am enjoying the learning process but am getting a little frustrated at where I am right now. I don't really have too much experience with mechanical dealings, but love learning new things. And would certainly love to get this bike running! Really dig these older japanese bikes!

Currently rebuilding first motorcylce - 1981 KZ305 CSR-A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
03 Jun 2014 16:37 #635208 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic 1981 KZ305 CSR-A1 Restoration
take your carbs to a machine shop they should be able to get them out.

More
03 Jun 2014 16:45 - 03 Jun 2014 16:46 #635210 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1981 KZ305 CSR-A1 Restoration
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI don't know how much you want to spend on bringing the old girl back to life, but here's a KZ305 CSR-A1 tank that simply cannot be beat (not cheap though). He is accepting offers. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 16:46 by 650ed.

More
04 Jun 2014 06:01 #635306 by PennChemist
Replied by PennChemist on topic 1981 KZ305 CSR-A1 Restoration
Hey, thanks for the replies fellas! I really appreciate it!

Hmm... that's a good idea. As a matter of fact the company I work for has a machine shop here on site. I don't really know the guys that work in the department but maybe they would even do me a solid. Cool, thanks for the suggestion!

Ha, yeah Ed I've been watching that jem of a tank. A brand new tank from the early 80s! That was an awesome find for those guys. I've actually been communicating with the seller. They are a Honda/Kawi dealer that have been in business for a while. They just happened to find that tank in their warehouse when going through it. As much as I'd love to have that tank of course, it's a bit more than I'd want to spend. If money was no object I certainly would grab it but, yeah. Besides it would just make the rest of the bike look pretty harsh. Those guys at the dealer are looking for a used one for me. So hope I get lucky there!

Currently rebuilding first motorcylce - 1981 KZ305 CSR-A1