REAL 80 Z1 CLASSIC! BARN FRESH, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

More
25 May 2014 17:59 #633968 by nedrowjoe
I have an 81 csr1000, I love my bike and I love old kawi's in general, The other day, on a trade, I picked up a 1980 z1 classic (first fuel injected 1000cc bike, 1 out of 800 or so, my father had one in 1980) , they guy didn't know what he had, the bike is barn fresh, for real. it would need to be polished to the max and some parts re-chromed. it has 4900 original miles, it is almost all complete, the stock exhaust is gone, who cares, it needs a good 4 into 1 anyway, no side covers, missing the key, missing the chrome covers for the back of the tach and speedo, everything else is there, original gold colored mags, all the fuel injection parts, engine turns over. stock airbox is there. I thought I was picking up a run of the mill POS beat up 80 kz1000 since that was what it was advertised, I was going to sell it for parts to make some money to buy a gun. now that I have a matching original z1 clasic, I dont have the extra capital to fix it up, I also could never part such a complete z1 and still have a conscience. What should I do? let is sit and hope to hit the lotto, or sell it and let someone else bring it back to life? What would you do? and if anyone out there is interested PM me! I am really looking forward to any suggestions, thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2014 18:40 #633973 by peter1958

More
25 May 2014 18:45 #633974 by nedrowjoe
baldwinsville, ny, just outside of syracuse

More
25 May 2014 21:19 #633996 by Polarbeezy

nedrowjoe wrote: baldwinsville, ny, just outside of syracuse

BVille you say? I am working on a 1980 KZ750 LTD as we speak, I am right up the road. We will have to ride one day good sir. Post some pictures!

More
26 May 2014 14:27 #634050 by nedrowjoe
If you live on downer street i know where your located, I see a guy always working on one bike or another, all old jap bikes right on downer street. If its you, you have a pretty cool bobber

More
26 May 2014 14:44 #634053 by Polarbeezy
Oh no thats not me but I know who you're talking about. Im from the sodus bay area I travel 370 to north syracuse all the time.

More
26 May 2014 20:33 #634095 by Tomolu5
Could you turn a buck or two just flipping it?

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
27 May 2014 18:59 #634226 by nedrowjoe
I could flip it an make a profit, and right now I could use the money, but, I traded for it and have no actual money into it. I know I would probably regret getting rid of it, the chances of me ever finding another z1 classic I could afford is not very good. I'll never afford a GTO or a sweet Camaro, this bike is probably the closest I'll have, that's why I'd almost rather have traded for a run of the mill Kz1000 , i would just part it out and make my money quick, but parting this out is a sin. I mean 1 of 800 (thats what my dad tells me, he had one iin 1980). All BS aside, If I got a reasonable offer I would probably let it go

More
27 May 2014 20:12 #634234 by Tomolu5
Perhaps you sell off your other bike to fund the restore of the z1 classic? Not sure if that's an option, just spitballing.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
29 May 2014 07:37 #634431 by bruce
I Have one that I'm riding and trying to sell for $3000.00 and no offers yet . The first thing that you need to do is find out if the computer works. do not disconnect the computer with out disconnecting the power wire first. and charge the battery and try to start it. Mine would start and idle just fine but would not rev up. I was able to fix the computer and it runs great. I have been told that 2700 were made for north American. There are not too many still running with the fuel inj system, most have been converted to carbs. Good luck. I would love to help but I'm out in Idaho.

1980 KZ1000G Classic

More
30 May 2014 18:56 #634720 by nedrowjoe
I am going to try to get her started, I have to do a couple things before I start it anyway. BTW there is a product out there called the micro squirt. They have a model that is compatible, It's a full replacement of the stock injection system. I believe it contains all the electronic parts.I think I'm just gonna get it running and drivable and make a little more money. and 3,000 seems low, is it converted to carbs? how's her chrome?

More
02 Jun 2014 07:53 #634999 by bruce
You can check it out in the for sale section. Its in very good condition.

1980 KZ1000G Classic