79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body

More
19 May 2014 13:29 #632974 by kingjoker74
79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body was created by kingjoker74
I'm new to the KZ world. Got a 79 KZ 1000 the other day and was wondering how hard it is to find and put on the police body work (fenders, fairing, solo seat, bags and the such.) Also is there another bike with a larger tank that will fit a 79 ltd without modification and possibly drop the fairing about 3 inches. I saw one that had that done and it does improve the looks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2014 23:27 #633873 by blakeem
Replied by blakeem on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
I'm far from an expert so correct me if i'm wrong but I've read that the '82+ police bike forks have wider spacing so I doubt the front fairing or front fender would fit.

I think the '82+ police single seat would only fit a '81-82 KZ1000 CSR LTD.

Perhaps one of the pre '82 police bike front fairing and fender would fit? I have read very little on these so I really have no idea. Sorry I can't be of more help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_Were-Rabbit

More
25 May 2014 16:12 #633956 by Bluesmoke69
Replied by Bluesmoke69 on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
I believe the police bike have a different frame and wider front end, but some one who has one will chime in!! Hope this helps, but any hing is possible with enough effort and money.LOL

More
25 May 2014 16:34 #633961 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
Your LTD is worth more than a police bike. Why don't you sell or trade for a
cop bike.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
26 May 2014 05:08 #634010 by fitscott
Replied by fitscott on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
I have a 1980 kz1000 police bike - it does not have the fairing mounts on the front of the neck - the early cop bikes had a windsheild- the footboard brackets and crash bar have tabs welded to the frame that the LTD would not have - there is some extra bracing also- the seat has small shocks and the rear frame and fender are different than the LTD - The tank is 5 gallons- There are a lot of police bikes for sale but most of them have high miles and might require some work - I also have a 2005 KZ1000 P24 that is the last year they made a police bike - I love the cop bikes but I think converting a LTD to a police bike would be more trouble than it's worth- Just my opinion

More
26 May 2014 11:06 #634037 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
I have a 1980 LTD and the early police tank (5 gal.) fits with no problems. It has a removable cap that is smaller then the LTD cap.The early police rear fender bolts on too. It is very long and would work great if you ride in the rain often.

Good luck.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2014 06:25 #639687 by kingjoker74
Replied by kingjoker74 on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
Well anybody that has a police bike in same or better condition that would want to trade let me know then. I'll post some pics soon.

• the_Were-Rabbit
  • User
  • Stays crunchy. Even in milk.
More
11 Jul 2014 13:06 #639719 by the_Were-Rabbit
Replied by the_Were-Rabbit on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
Hello everybody. I found this thread, and it relates to police bikes, and what I want to do on my '83 KZ1100 A-3 shaft model involves using police bike parts. Here goes...

My bike is an '83 KZ1100 A-3 with all the Vetter goodies- fairing, hard bags and travel trunk.

I have looked freaking EVERYWHERE I CAN to find aftermarket foot boards and a "heel and toe" shifter.
Apparently, none exist. Unless I have them custom made, or find them salvage. I was looking at Blakeem's
pics of his '82 police bike, and got a good hard look at how its foot boards and forward controls were mounted.
Considering that these parts mount on a welded-on sub-frame, I might be able to take the boards, brake pedal setup, and the shifter setup, and fabricate a sub-frame for them, using my case guards as the front anchor, and
a custom fabricated mounting plate using the engine mount bolts in the rear. I'd have to find a "donor" bike that I could get the entire forward control assemblies from, sub-frame and all, and I think it'll fly nicely.

I wouldn't part with my KZ1100 A-3. Period. It just suits me fine, and I'm hard as hell to please. If I could ask somebody here who has a KZ1000P, circa 1982 or '83 to take some pics of the control assemblies to see how they "hook up", I'd really appreciate that. If you have the parts too, let me know. Like I said, if I could get the boards and controls, still mounted on the sub-frames, and the sub-frames cut at the frame, that would make fabrication and mounting much simpler. But if I have to fabricate, that's OK too.

Thanks for listening to my little bit of insanity, and I agree with the others here. Keep your bike an LTD, and if you want a police bike, buy one. The LTD really is worth more.

Gracias, mi compadres!

the_Were-Rabbit

My Kaw? Daily ride! "Voodoo Red"- a 1983 KZ1100 A-3 shaft model, full Vetter fairing, hard bags and tail trunk, A vintage cruiser/touring for a vintage guy...

• the_Were-Rabbit
  • User
  • Stays crunchy. Even in milk.
More
11 Jul 2014 13:13 #639720 by the_Were-Rabbit
Replied by the_Were-Rabbit on topic 79 KZ 1000 LTD to police spec body
Blakeem, thank you for the pics of your Police bike. I was able to see how things mount up for the foot boards
and forward controls. If you happen to take pics of the Police bike again, may I ask a favor? Can you photograph
the forward controls, on top and underneath closer in, so I can see more detail of how they mount? Also the rear
master cylinder- it's in the same position as my A-3, and I might be able to get the brake pedal and linkage from a
Police model to "fit up" to mine with few problems.

There are no aftermarket components that I'd think would compare to these. And they would sure make riding "Voodoo Red" a lot more comfortable. Plus, they would actually look like they were stock for the A-3.

Many thanks!

the_Were-Rabbit

My Kaw? Daily ride! "Voodoo Red"- a 1983 KZ1100 A-3 shaft model, full Vetter fairing, hard bags and tail trunk, A vintage cruiser/touring for a vintage guy...