First KZ project

More
22 Apr 2014 09:43 - 26 Apr 2014 00:49 #629962 by JoeyD11213
First KZ project was created by JoeyD11213
Hello everyone, this is my first KZ project so please excuse my ignorance.
While in Ottawa visiting family over the weekend I checked searched Kijiji for "project" and this popped up. Growing up my father had three old KZ's, all immaculately kept and babied. Since I was a kid I've always had fondness for these old girls. Anyways I bought the bike on impulse because I didn't think I could go wrong for $200.00. It is not my ideal bike but it will familiarize my for when I finally get into what I want.

It's a 1984 ZN1100.
It has 45XXX km on it.
Someone started to prep it to be painted and it was forgotten.
Been sitting for a while so it isn't currently running and I haven't had a chance to see what it will need.
My intentions are to make it look a little sportier. Tank swap, forks, café seat and tail.

Wish me luck.

Project 1984 ZN1100 (first)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Apr 2014 00:49 by JoeyD11213.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2014 10:36 #629966 by JoeyD11213
Replied by JoeyD11213 on topic First KZ project
I have just about worn the search button out on here trying to find a decent tank compatibility list. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know what year KZ tanks might fit on this bike. Looking at exploded diagrams and doing the reading I have so far from what I can tell the frame is the same as KZ models. I just want any tanks other than the one on there now. Not only is it ugly but the inside is rusted and the seam is starting to bubble.

Project 1984 ZN1100 (first)

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
22 Apr 2014 18:45 - 23 Apr 2014 01:37 #630016 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic First KZ project
Hey Joey, welcome to KZR. Unfortunately there isn't alot of late model KZ stuff on here. Your bike shares some parts with the GPZ1100, but because your bike is a shaft bike the frames are very different. It will be very unlikely that you will be able to find a tank to swap without some sort of modifications to the mounts. When i have been looking for a tank to swap, i loaded the bike in my truck and drove out to a bike salvage place. i made some measurements and dug through the tanks until i found a couple i thought might work and then tried them out in the parking lot. It required both mounts modified in the end. Personally i would just try and get that sucker running decently before i worried too much about a tank swap. Or you could sell it for a profit once its running and buy your "Ideal" bike.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2014 01:37 by DoctoRot.