KZ440 Tracker

More
03 Mar 2014 16:29 - 03 Mar 2014 16:31 #624069 by TheWHall
KZ440 Rat Tracker Thing was created by TheWHall
Hey guys I'm new to the KZR world and I'm just starting up my first build and thought I'd start up a thread. I picked up a 1980 KZ440 LTD with 38758 miles. It was was pretty rusted up when I got it, so I've been going at it with some rust remover and some sand paper. I also picked up a new Shinko 712 front tire, some satin black DCC super moto bars, and a new brake line as the previous owner apparently lost the stock one. I have a few pictures right now, but I'll snap a few more when I get the bike back from the shop. Also, all work is being done out of the back of my friends pick-up as I am currently living in the dorms at University.

Attachment photo22.jpg not found

This was after the first coat of the rust remover. I put on two more coats and sanded it with 400 grit and got it down to nice clean metal. Probably going to throw a matte clear coat on it this weekend and go rat style.

Attachment photo3.jpg not found

Attachment photo4.jpg not found

Slowly but surely

1980 KZ440 trackerish build (on a college kids budget)
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Mar 2014 16:31 by TheWHall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2014 19:16 #624084 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic KZ440 Rat Tracker Thing
Hands full but even 1 hours work and this baby lives another day..

Way to resurrect the dead.. Zombielove
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheWHall

More
04 Mar 2014 03:11 #624116 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic KZ440 Rat Tracker Thing
How does it run?

A bike that doesn't go, turn or stop isn't much fun.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
04 Mar 2014 18:13 #624195 by TheWHall
Replied by TheWHall on topic KZ440 Rat Tracker Thing
She runs great as far as I can tell. Rode her around the parking lot at the shop where I got the tire mounted and didn't find anything wrong. I got the brakeline today and will be mounting and bleeding the line on Thursday. I do need to jet the carbs but that's not happening until I get some mufflers on there.

Slowly but surely

More
06 Mar 2014 22:37 #624395 by TheWHall
Replied by TheWHall on topic KZ440 Tracker
Well I already posted this once, buuuut I accidentally posted in the wrong topic, so here I am in the projects thread. I got myself a 1980 KZ440 LTD with 38,000ish miles on it. Bike runs like a dream but needs to be jetted and have some mufflers added as it currently does not have any (too loud for my taste). I am currently just waiting on a brake line to get it street worthy again, so hopefully everything goes smoothly on the first ride. In case you couldn't tell I want to make this into a trackerish build, something I know will be hard given the LTD step frame and my limited fabrication skills, so it's going to be baby steps. Here are a few pictures of how she sits now.

Slowly but surely

Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2014 04:28 #624399 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic KZ440 Tracker

TheWHall wrote: Well I already posted this once, buuuut I accidentally posted in the wrong topic, so here I am in the projects thread. I got myself a 1980 KZ440 LTD with 38,000ish miles on it. Bike runs like a dream but needs to be jetted and have some mufflers added as it currently does not have any (too loud for my taste). I am currently just waiting on a brake line to get it street worthy again, so hopefully everything goes smoothly on the first ride. In case you couldn't tell I want to make this into a trackerish build, something I know will be hard given the LTD step frame and my limited fabrication skills, so it's going to be baby steps. Here are a few pictures of how she sits no

Nice Project!!
Please post pics as you progress!!
Regards
TennesseeZ

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
10 Mar 2014 23:13 #624790 by TheWHall
Well I got the bars and brakeline on tonight (pics tomorrow), but am having trouble keeping her running now. Upon further inspection the tank isn't in as good of shape as the previous owner led me to believe and there is quite a bit of loose rust on the bottom of the tank. I'm going to take it off and flush it with more gas to see if that solves the problem (there is strong spark and compression in both cylinders and he supposedly had just finished rebuilding the carbs before selling to me). Any other suggestions are welcome.

Slowly but surely

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 Mar 2014 17:02 - 11 Mar 2014 17:11 #624869 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ440 Rat Tracker Thing
are you running an inline fuel filter? Regardless of whether or not the carbs were recently cleaned if rust got in there it could easily plug one of the jets which would cause the bike to run poorly. Flushing with gas isnt likely going to help you out at all. I would use oxalic acid to clean the remaing rust out of the tank and use an inline fuel filter.
here is a link on cleaning a tank with oxalic acid.
www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/vintage...fe-rusted-tanks.html
Last edit: 11 Mar 2014 17:11 by DoctoRot.

More
11 Mar 2014 17:19 #624875 by TheWHall
Yeah I've got a filter on there. There's not any rust inside the tank itself, it appears to be falling from around the gas cap and the screw for the gas cap. I haven't run it that much I started it a few days ago and took it around the parking lot and parked it. Then yesterday only one cylinder would fire unless I gave it a little throttle, but as soon as I let it go back to idle it died. I'm going to take the carbs off tomorrow and clean the bowls and get the sediment out of the tank and go from there.

Slowly but surely

More
12 Mar 2014 19:34 #625013 by TheWHall

Attachment image.jpg not found

Attachment image_2014-03-12.jpg not found

Here's how she sits today. Cleaned out the tank and all the rust was coming from the holes for the screws holding the gas cap on. Also cleaned the petcock, put more gas in and she started right up. Took her for a ride and has no high end throttle response. So once I get some new mufflers on there (straight pipes are too loud for me) I'll order some jets. After spring break I'm thinking about stripping the tank and clear coating over the raw metal, but I haven't decided yet. I'm also going to be making a solo cowl for it so I'll post pics as I get through those. It'll be pretty quite for the next few weeks as I have finals and will be home in Washington for a week as well.

Slowly but surely

Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2014 13:28 #630504 by TheWHall
It's been a quite a while since I updated the thread, but money has been hard to come by lately. I ordered new jets from 6 Sigma racing and was in the process of installing them when I ran into an issue. The needle set screw on the left side carburetor it stuck and stripped beyond all hope. It seems that when the previous owner rebuilt the carbs thought it would be a great idea to torque everything to the point where you can get it out. Any suggestions on how to get it out would be greatly appreciated. And I have already ordered a new one so destroying it is not a worry.

Slowly but surely