help with my build

More
27 Feb 2014 06:21 #623493 by steele650
help with my build was created by steele650
So im looking to update a few things on a custom kz I brought I want to put a wider rear wheel like a 200 on the back problem is the frame is custom and I dont know how to tell if it will work or will i need a jackshaft also I want to upgrade the front end to a springer or just american pretty much but I cant tell if its an old harley front it on it know or the original kz is there a way to inspect this before I start buying parts .. heres the bike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2014 06:56 #623498 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic help with my build
hard to tell from the pic but prolyy kz front end.
the frame is going to need to be widened in the back to get a 200 in.
it takes at least ten inches usually.

hth,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
27 Feb 2014 07:11 #623503 by steele650
Replied by steele650 on topic help with my build
Ok thanks I was thinking I might have to widen the frame
But atleast now I have a general measurment ... well that will be next years winter project cause I want to ride this year... I can see if I have any closer pics of the front end the fork tubes are really long if u notice they actually sit up above the trees which I thought was weird but the builder must have wanted to get it as low as possible ... I think a custom front end ill do wonders for this ride so that will be the last project for this year unless its goint to be 2 expensive. .. to replace everything

More
27 Feb 2014 07:23 #623505 by steele650
Heres some other front angles I found ...ive been planning on this for a while now im just trying to see how much ill need to replace like whole front end system or forks trees etc.. or eveythings wheels brakes etc... is there anyone else on here thats had a chopper build off a kz650 I see kz1000 builds all the time but not 650s and usually everything is american except the powerplant this bikes seems to be a kz built in a chopper frame if that makes since.
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2014 17:19 #623779 by steele650
Hey I measured today and have 10 inches of clearence in the rear alsi looks like theres some spacers on it to fit the 150 back there im going to keep looking into it cause it might work and if not I should be able to do a 180 and vet alittle bigger the back.. forks were 31 inchs from the top of the tree and the way they did it there actually about 3 inches longer than that so I dont think there kz unless there from a 1000 or something... thanks for the help im looking to order my front end first but im going to order my wheels as a set so I need to see what rear I can go up 2 ..

More
01 Mar 2014 18:40 #623798 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic help with my build
They look like stock forks that someone but longer tubes in .Looks like you could get by with shorter ones as those are way past the top of the tree. How about a pic of that frame from the side. It looks weak to me, could be a safety issue.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
01 Mar 2014 19:30 #623805 by steele650
Heres some side pics...
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2014 19:57 #623815 by steele650
Why do u say that I uploaded some more side pics

More
01 Mar 2014 20:19 #623818 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic help with my build
I'm not an expert frame builder by any means but I would say that bike is NOT safe to ride. There does not look to be enough support anywhere. The style is................. unique. To each there own but for safety sir I suggest getting some info on bracing the frame properly. Good luck.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
01 Mar 2014 20:27 #623819 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic help with my build
Here is a video that goes over some basics for frame geometry

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
01 Mar 2014 20:58 #623823 by steele650
I'll have john dodson check it out from gangster choppers here locally he does the work on it currently working on my tank the bike originally built out of SC but was worked on at Milwaukee iron in lynchburg VA the guy I brought it from worked with randy simpson before the shop closed he sold me the bike after the owners son didnt want to pay for servicing so I didnt pay much for wouldnt hurt me to buy a new frame but I was confident in the build but im no expert so thanks ill have John take a look at it cause he does awesome work. The guy I got it from was literally bragging on the builder and how he didnt make mistakes like alot of builders out there this guy had a 60, 000 bike in the back yard so I had no reason to doubt him.

More
01 Mar 2014 21:06 #623824 by steele650
If you've seen or herd of Southern Steel the tv show these are the guys... he was one of tge master builders..