help with my build

More
01 Mar 2014 22:28 #623828 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic help with my build
Right on! Like I said I don't build frames. Just want to make sure it is safe to ride.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2014 22:58 #623829 by steele650
Replied by steele650 on topic help with my build
Thanks I definitely want 2 make sure it's safe. ... I'm thinking of doing a springer front end I currently have a 19in front wheel I want to do something bigger probabely a 21 no bigger than a 23 .. Do I need to run a shorter fork by the difference in wheel size?

More
02 Mar 2014 00:43 #623830 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic help with my build
Can't believe we are having this discussion

If that ride was mine I wouldn't change a thing.. Frame tubes look large enoughy to carry the torque and hp and the real everyday riding style..

Now as to your wants..

Larger rear tire..

I think it would take from the beauty of the rear fender which I think is gorgeous but borderline to skinny with current tire size..

Any bigger and "I" would have to change the tail and could lean to a different rear half of frame.. Don't touch it..

Front forks..

I love your bike.

But springer.. Love the idea but Harley it isn't .. I'd go kz1000p and stick a 130 front

I believe that's what I had on my last kaw

Tire was the best ever at slow turns.. Had that extra 1/2" of tread that eliminated slow left turn wobbles..

Best accidental motorcycle upgrade I ever tried.. $70 including shipping from amazon due to odd ball tire size..

Let me dumb it down..

I would be so happy to have your bike and don't believe I'd change a thing.. When a custom is made each mod leads to the next.. If you change it .. It will turn into a whole different bike which you may later deny but killed this awesome specimine

F1Schumie

More
02 Mar 2014 07:39 - 02 Mar 2014 07:48 #623859 by steele650
Thanks a lot I love the bike 2 im just one of those people when I see things I see how to make them better. But your right one thing will lead to another and it will be a while nother bike I have to be careful....
I completely agree on the rear the fender almost has like a streetfighter type aggrssive style just 2 skinny but I can live with it for a while eventually im going to want to change it. It was my 1st thing I wanted to change but realized I may have to change more than im thinking and should wait and do more research..

I wanted to go for a modern look in the front thats why I was thinking springer and a larger front wheel it will give it a extra custom look... thanks though I'll look into it the 130 sounds interesting and unique.... I actually found a kz1000 engine I am thinking of buying and having chromed out and all that either to replace this one or for another build once this one is complete. I was thinking the right front end and full restoration could make this bike a local show winner I've never scene anything like it around im sure their is but I havent seen it and what I seen is all xs650 no kz's.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 07:48 by steele650.

More
02 Mar 2014 08:00 #623862 by steele650
The other option is to buy shorter tubes powder coat them black and just add a new larger front wheel and make it work.. I want it to be completely custom and highly functional. 23inch wheel uses a 130 tire but not sure if I would have to change my rake I dont want to do that it's just right for thizs bike feels good where it is ... would I have to rake it to get a 23 or just use shorter forks..

More
02 Mar 2014 08:46 #623866 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic help with my build
I am no frame master either but it does look weak to me. Just my opinion. If you have people you trust that can physically look at it and you are happy with what they have to say go with it. Best wishes with the project.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
02 Mar 2014 13:09 #623909 by steele650
Yeah im going to have someone look at it to make sure...