will it be exspensive/worth it?!?

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2014 00:04 #617264 by MaizenBlueCrew
will it be exspensive/worth it?!? was created by MaizenBlueCrew
So im wanting to start a motorcycle project i have very limited knowledge but im very motivated to get my hands dirty and learn. so i came across a bike on craigslist (1978kz400) but its covered in dust and doesnt start the guy says it has good compression and spark and that the carbs just need cleaned. also he said wen he pulled the front brake it wouldnt release. he said all the electrical works and clean title he wants ($300 +$80 for hauling to me) is it worth it? or am i getting in over my head?? Any feedback would be excellent thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2014 00:21 #617266 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Hard to say, carbs could need new diaphragms, carb intake boots, is the airbox there? Tdanny might be worn/ pop out of gear/ wont shift etc. anytime you buy any used bike (running or not) it's a crapshoot

I've had free bikes that just needed carbs cleaned and got up and running within a few hours, and i paid for a bike that ran but wasnt rideable ( no brakes) and ended up having a messed up trans.

Depends on what you want to do with it also

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
04 Jan 2014 01:33 #617271 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Agreed, It is hard to say. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with machines at the moment. Thats what sets the difficulty. If you have a mechanic friend to help you with the hard stuff, than even better.

They are fun to learn on. I forewarn, being so old and sitting in a shed (hopefully not outside in the weather) the parts list can get a little long.

Do it if you think you can do it and don't give up.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

More
04 Jan 2014 04:43 - 04 Jan 2014 04:43 #617275 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
I echo what the others have said. Additionally, you have to define 'worth it'. Monetarily, you'll probably lose...I have five bikes and the only one that will ever show a profit (if I sell) is the Z2...I have way more in the others than they are worth. However, was it 'worth it' in terms of enjoyment? Absolutely, I'd do it again with twice as many bikes (except that I value my gonads right where they currently are).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 04:43 by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2014 11:02 #617303 by MaizenBlueCrew
Replied by MaizenBlueCrew on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Thanks for the feedback im probably gonna run with it seeing as how its hard to come across a 70's jap bike in my price range in my area but i think in the end it will be worth it ive always wanted a bike and its not something im looking to make money on just enjoy. but if anyone could help me out on where to get parts for an old bike and do they sell parts at say autozone

More
04 Jan 2014 11:53 - 04 Jan 2014 11:55 #617307 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Really can't judge if its worth it without looking at it. Or at least a picture. It sounds like it hasn't ran in a long time. But if it has spark and compression it should start even with out a carburetor. Just take along a can of starting fluid, a batter jumper and a buddy to help. take the air filter off and spray starting fluid directly into the bore of the carburetor. If the battery is week you could hook up the battery jumper as an assist. Turn on the ignition and make sure the kill switch is not in off position. Some of these bikes require the clutch to be pulled in order for it to fire it up. Don't know about the one you are looking at. Either way make sure it is in neutral. Open the throttle half way and fire her up. It should run for a few seconds. That will confirm that it is just the carbs that need cleaning. So if it runs that is half value. The other half is how much for everything else it needs. Body work in good condition with everything there? What is missing (Mirrors, turn signals, gauges, center stand, etc, etc.)? Does it have a valid title. Stay away if it doesn't, very expensive to resolve.

You will also most likely need new tires no matter how good the look. If they are over 4 yrs old I would change them. You are risking your live if you don't. You can check the date code on them. Read up on how to read the date codes on tires before going to look at them. Because if they are only a couple of years old and are not cracking, that will save you at least $200.00 in tires alone. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 11:55 by KZJOE900.

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2014 12:13 #617313 by MaizenBlueCrew
Thanks for the advice im gonna try that see if it starts and all the lights work so im guessing the battery is good and he has a clean title. i thought i posted the pics from craigslist but ill try again
Attachments:

More
04 Jan 2014 12:55 - 04 Jan 2014 13:03 #617316 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Well... caked with a film of mud so can't tell much. Look for oil leaks when you go look at it. See if there are oil stains below where it sits. Look at the head ans sides of the engine for oil residue. Missing the side covers, don't know how much for a KZ400, but for my KZ900 I paid a $130.00 for one that came with the emblem. Seat needs new re-upholstery. Can buy it from a guy on Ebay for les than $50.00 and do it yourself. Front caliper and brake master cylinder will most likely need rebuilding (approx. $70 both). Check the front fork tubes for any oil residue (any leaks). Definitely ask him if there are any parts (not currently on the bike) that comes with it. The fairing is Shoei FM2 fairing I think. Anyhow, make a list of all that it needs and give him a first bid of $150.00 I wouldn't go no further than $250.00. Its going to take you at least $500.00 to get her on the road. Tires alone are $200.00.

Just one last edit. This bikes looks in rough shape. Most people would look at as no more than a parts bike. So you can tell the guy that. Don't let your emotions and desire to ride a bike cloud your judgement. There will always be another one that will come along. Much easier to start with a cleaner bike than try to fix a beaten down one. I would wait for a clean bike in the $500.00 range runner. Otherwise, you will find a year go by and hundreds of dollars without riding. Just my two cents.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 13:03 by KZJOE900.

More
04 Jan 2014 13:57 #617322 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Unless I had unlimited funds and time and was more interested in learning how to build a bike from scratch than I was actually riding a bike, I would pass on that one. Some stuff, such as side covers, you will be able to buy used from eBay, but In order to make the bike SAFE and roadworthy you should plan on tires, sprockets, chain, brakes, fork rebuild, shocks, and who know what else. All that type of stuff must be bought new, and some of it can be pricey. If you can find a bike that is currently in regular use on the road for $750 I suspect that would be a better economic solution. As KZJOE900 pointed out, the bike in the pic has all the earmarks of a parts bike, so putting it on the road safely is not going to be inexpensive. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2014 16:37 #617337 by MaizenBlueCrew
Ok so i bought the bike and i can see im in for long learning prosess but im ok with that. first problems are the lights turned on but then the battery died so im gonna replace that. theirs no oil in the bike and the gas tank is empty so i took the tank off to realize that the fuel line from the petcock was not connected so ill have to replace that (old tube is there just broke off at petcock) also the tank sounds like it has old rust or sand in it so im gonna clean that out doesnt look too rusty inside but im gonna clean inside with rust remover (metal resue) so my plan was to clean the tank and fix fuel line replace the battery and air box filter put some oil amd gas amd see if it starts (not trying to drive it yet just get it running) i know im gonna need a lot more things so any feedback again would be great or advice on where to start thanks (p.s. im goin for a cafe look)

More
04 Jan 2014 16:50 #617339 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
After you clean the tank, but before you put any fuel in it do yourself a favor and install an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs. Otherwise no matter how clean you get the tank there will invariably be some small funky stuff that will end up in the carbs. This can be particularly frustrating when it happens just after you have cleaned the carbs, as you must clean them again. If you don't mind, it would be interesting to see a list of the parts and any labor you use as you get the bike back in good shape and a running tally of the cost. This information could prove quite instructional to anyone else taking on a project like this. If you cannot find a part be sure to ask on this forum as folks here can usually find stuff. Also, keep in mind that despite the age of the bike some parts are still available from Kawasaki and that can actually save you money compared to the price some eBay sellers ask, so be sure to ask on this forum. Below is a link to some general info that should help you get started in working on the bike. Good luck with your project. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2014 18:01 #617346 by MaizenBlueCrew
I was gonna start ordering parts offline from dime city cycles but if anyone has any other sites where to get stock parts for cheaper would be great and i have a buddy that works at napa that i can get a good deal from but idk if they parts for a 78kz400???