will it be exspensive/worth it?!?

More
04 Jan 2014 19:49 #617357 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
To see if a part is still available from Kawasaki try this - Go to Kawasaki.com. On left side put cursor over "Owner Information" then on drop down menu click on "Parts Diagrams." The click "Continue" next to "Motorcycles" and click on model/year/etc. on drop down. Once you get the list of parts for your bike you can click on the category of parts - such as "Air Cleaner" and you will see a diagram of all the parts for that category. Then when you click on an actual part number on the list under the diagram it will say if the Item Status is "Active." If it is "Active" Kawasaki still sells the part through dealers. Also, at that little page you can click on the yellow highlighted question mark for a cross reference of which bikes share that part or click on the red highlighted S to see earlier part numbers for the same part.
If you want to change bike models you can enter the new model at the top. Also, you can put in just the first part of the model (i.e. KZ400) and it will list all the years and sub models. You also can put in a part number up top and switch the word "MODEL" to "PART NUMBER" using the little drop down in that box. If you do that it will show all the models that part is used on.

Z1Enterprises is a good place to buy parts. For stock parts still available from Kawasaki it is hard to beat the prices at Partzilla.com. You can plug in the part number at the search box and it will show the price, but you should first go to Kawasaki.com to see if the part is still "Active" because Partzilla, like many online sites, will list prices for obsolete parts even though they cannot supply them. If you run into trouble finding an obsolete part ask on this forum and we may be able to help find it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Feb 2014 18:07 #621024 by MaizenBlueCrew
Replied by MaizenBlueCrew on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Ok so update on my kz400 and need any help comment info...ok so removed the tank hit it with some metal resue turned out good.found out i have to replace the petcock...i wanted to try and start the bike to see if the motor was any good so i refilled the battery removed the airbox it had junk in it i then installed the battery attached a fuel hose to the fuel inlet on the carbs poured some gas and tried and got nothing...i then pulled the plugs poured some gas in the cylinder holes and put the plugs back and after a couple kicks it started sounded great didnt smoke then died seconds later so i removed the carbs opened up remived the diaphrams amd slides opened the float bowls remived three brass jets from each float bowl soaked them in carb cleaner amd remived the floats (didmt clean) then sprayed carb cleaner through the carbs everywhere i could includeing the fuel inlet thn reinstalled. i attached a fuel hose to the carb fuel inlet poured gas in it because tank is off bike and it wont start i opend the drain screws in each carb amd about the same amount of gas came from each one (fair amount) so i think the carbs are gettimg gas also the airbox isnt on it amy suggestitions would be great thnxs

More
03 Feb 2014 18:35 #621025 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Buy a manual and go through all the regular maintence items for the ignition.
Your car s need to be rebuilt. Again use your manual. And if your after the
'Look' of a cafe racer just start painting it to make it pretty like all the hipsters.
If you want a bike that you can ride, check compression and valve lash after
you get the engine running. Then start with the foundation of your bike, the frame.
Judging by the pics it's not been taken care of. Replace the steering stem bearings
and swing arm bushings. As long as the engine runs everything else is repairable.
Then go thru the brakes so you will have a solid and safe foundation to build upon.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
03 Feb 2014 20:03 #621036 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Play hard ball. These particular bikes are difficult for certain parts.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
03 Feb 2014 20:03 #621037 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Why is it 80 to bring to you? Is it far,m

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Feb 2014 20:16 #621038 by MaizenBlueCrew
Yeah i already bought the bike ive had it a few weeks now and the guy lived pretty far but i was just curious on why the bike wont start for me i wanna get it to the point that it will start amd stay running amd because ive already heard it run i feel its not that far from being able to that. then ill go further on the build any suggestions would be great the bike has oil but im gonna do an oil change and the electric start wont work

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
03 Feb 2014 22:41 #621042 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
First of all, Welcome to the KZ Rider Forum. Great group of members.

Where to start here?! ... :whistle: Dude, Do yourself a huge favor and listen to others here. Get yourself a service manual. If you are trying to revive an old battery by simply adding water then it is no wonder you do not have any electrical life. Get a new battery. Also, get the carbs cleaned by an experienced mechanic or friend. ........ OK, I will make a short list of maintenance & trouble shooting:
-Test for Spark. See Service Manual.
-Check Your Fuses. Replace with all new fuses.
-Change The OIL & Filter.
-Clean the fuel tank out. So you have done this ok. You sure all debris and rust is removed?
-Clean the carbs out including the bowls. So you have done this, ok..... but did you use a carb rebuild kit?
-Purchase new Spark Plugs and gap to spec, In Owners Manual or Service Manual.
-Clean the air filter or better yet replace. Wait no airbox, right? Then get a foam sock or air filter pod and hose clamp it on to at least filter your air. Maybe you can find a stock airbox on ebay.
-If YOU DO NOT HAVE A NEW BATTERY THEN GET A NEW BATTERY.

Wish you the best on the restoration. Best advice is to keep it basic, simple and fundamental. You can then get as detailed as you wish.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Feb 2014 23:36 #621044 by MaizenBlueCrew
I did not use a carb rebuild kit im not an expert but everything inside the carbs looked to be in excellent shape except the float bowl gaskets which i replaced and i do have the stock airbox its off the bike currently because i removed the carbs for cleaning and im using the battery that came with the bike amd i definetly didnt fill it with water lol my stepdad had the stuff to fill it not sure wat its called but all the electrical works except the push start button. i havent checked the fuses i still need to change the oil and filter but i have never done that so not really sure whwre i could get a filter lol amd also the engine has compression and spark like i said it started wen i poured a lil gas in the spark plug holes

More
03 Feb 2014 23:57 #621045 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Oil filter at Z1 enterprises. I bought one off ebay for my year and model...wrong filter. Or you can check a local motorcycle shop if they have one in stock.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

More
04 Feb 2014 01:42 #621047 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic will it be exspensive/worth it?!?
Where are you located? I have quite a bunch of KZ400 stuff...

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

• MaizenBlueCrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Feb 2014 11:57 #622020 by MaizenBlueCrew
So i ended up just buying new spark plugs it still didnt start so i checked to see if they were even sparking amd they werent so tore open the right side control housing wich the kill switch button was broken so i bypassed the kill switch and it started right up after i poured some gas in the hose on the carb fuel inlet (petcock leaks thats why i didnt just put gas in tank) so to end this thread it was definetely worth the 300 +80 for hauling the bike just looked to be in rough shape because all the mud but she runs like champ and cleaned up well i feel its worth 2x wat i paid and am grateful the first motorcycle ive had first time working on anything did it all myself with the help of this lovely forum so i appreciate the info amd help and will try to post some more updates on the bike