750 twin revival

More
14 Nov 2013 12:45 #613071 by Hemp
Replied by Hemp on topic 750 twin revival
Quick Update,

I put my seat fabrication on hold, I cut the foam and procured the vinyl but encountered some idling problems with the fuel system. I'm not stitching until engine runs strong.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Like a moth drawn to the flame I fell to the temptation to try running pods. And like lemmings off a cliff I encountered idling issues. I stared by cutting out some of the rubber shoulder inside the pods with a utility knife. This shoulder/lip can block the jelly bean shaped air intake on the carb manifold. There was a metal lip inside the rubber that I couldn't cut so I stuffed a sock in the filter and fired up the Dremel.
[IMG

After I installed pods and 125 mains I tried to fire her up. It took a lot of kicks and starter fluid. Only started in half choke and kept idling rough. After warm up I turned throttle 1/8-ish and it would quickly sputter, backfire and stall. Plug chop revealed dry black fouling. Some how I was getting what appears to be an overly rich combustion after putting on pod filters...? Never turned throttle more than 1/8 because it would stall. Could be a variety of factors so I decided to start over with another full carb clean with an emphasis on my pilots and then check float level.

Be careful when researching these BS-38 carbs. There's a lot of different configurations with conflicting specs. These carbs were used on XS650's with different style chokes. The jetting also changes through out the different KZ750 years. Check out the below link for your BS-38 KZ specs. www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...gories/93-kz750-carb
For my float level check I grabbed some 3/16 pvc tubing. I couldn't improvise any hardware to connect the tubes to my bowls. The tube was too fat to wedge in the drain hole so I cut an angled slot and slowly twisted/screwed the tubing into the female drain threads. This seemed like a precarious fit but the tubing screwed all the way in and made a strong leak proof fit.
[IMG

[IMG

My first reading was 0mm. The fuel in the tubes was parallel with the very top of my bowls. I wonder if this contributed to my rough idle and rich plug chop...? After bending the float tangs once I got a 3mm-ish drop.

Next step is try firing her up again with pods and see how she idles. If problems continue I'll put airbox back on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.