Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 May 2013 15:44 #587042

• Dr. Gamma
  • Dr. Gamma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

KZ1000A2A wrote: HA! Probably a good thing you didn't get into old Ducati's or something. :dry:

That policy only applies to computers, not anything mechanical!!!

Had an old bevel drive Desmo twin back in the 70's. It was a bit more of a challenge than a Japanese four to work on thats all.

Just got tired of waiting for parts for the damm thing. "Six months and you gotta leave a the bike"
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 May 2013 18:31 #587057

• mvent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Great project,will be following along.

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 May 2013 18:37 #587058

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
hei gamma

you should definetely get in touch with Arthur Art Kowitz, aka dbsuperbiker in this forum, he used to race back at the time at national levle and he is still a top runner in AHRMA.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 13 May 2013 00:13 #587119

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Dr. Gamma wrote: ...prints too small to read....

If not already done, try holding down the "Ctrl" key on the keyboard while tapping the "+" key, which might enlarge the screen image.

Then hold down the left mouse clicker and drag the image around as desired.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 15 May 2013 18:45 #587570

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Is that a Bassani pipe?
2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 15 May 2013 19:10 #587578

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Is that a Bassani pipe?

Yes Sir It is!!! I used to get the "Do It Yourself Kit" the unwelded Superbike pipe kit.

That way I could cut and roll the sections and tuck the pipe up real close to the frame.

Then my welder Extraordinaire would tack it all together as I held the pieces in place on the bike.

Gee I sure am going to miss good old Jim Lubarski out here when I need something welded!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 15 May 2013 20:08 #587584

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
Lifes a bitch then you grow old and move near old man rock. I can see next bike of the month coming up!

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 17 May 2013 23:16 #588004

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I don't want to sound like a jerk but what money would your really need to put this back together if you have all the parts?

Tires would be the most expensive, chain, various seals, fluids?
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 18 May 2013 07:55 #588028

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Do you mind if a few of us copy that set up? ARe you able to post up pics of those parts that you still have not put back on the machine?

Dr. Gamma wrote:

wireman wrote: Do you have any detailed pictures of the sprocket cover and foot pegs? :)

Thats the only picture I have right now of the cut sprocket cover, and feetpegs. The feetpegs are just old H2 triple buddy pegs mounted in the upper hole where the two studs go for the stock feetpeg bracket mount. Now the shifter linkage is a true work of art in my book. I put a bronze bushing in the lower stud hole for the stock feetpeg bracket. I had a stock shifter shaft cut down, and those triangle pieces made at my old machine shop I used to use back in the late 70's. Those shifter parts were changed to something like what came on a KZ1000R back in 1982. That shifter setup you see in picture is sitting in a parts box some where in my Superbike parts collection. I was mounting all the KZ1000S1 feetpeg brackets, pegs, and rear brake setup when I packed it all away to work on my GSXR750 back in 1986.
Thats one of the projects I have to finish to get the bike ready to ride. I just hope my handmade tuckup Bassani pipe clears the righthand S1 bracket.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 21 May 2013 17:32 #588575

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

CruisingRam wrote: Do you mind if a few of us copy that set up? ARe you able to post up pics of those parts that you still have not put back on the machine?

Dr. Gamma wrote:

wireman wrote: Do you have any detailed pictures of the sprocket cover and foot pegs? :)

Thats the only picture I have right now of the cut sprocket cover, and feetpegs. The feetpegs are just old H2 triple buddy pegs mounted in the upper hole where the two studs go for the stock feetpeg bracket mount. Now the shifter linkage is a true work of art in my book. I put a bronze bushing in the lower stud hole for the stock feetpeg bracket. I had a stock shifter shaft cut down, and those triangle pieces made at my old machine shop I used to use back in the late 70's. Those shifter parts were changed to something like what came on a KZ1000R back in 1982. That shifter setup you see in picture is sitting in a parts box some where in my Superbike parts collection. I was mounting all the KZ1000S1 feetpeg brackets, pegs, and rear brake setup when I packed it all away to work on my GSXR750 back in 1986.
Thats one of the projects I have to finish to get the bike ready to ride. I just hope my handmade tuckup Bassani pipe clears the righthand S1 bracket.

Just got my computer up and running. Some nice soul since me a virus under a MicroSoft label and I opened it. WHAT A MAJOR MISTAKE!!!! Just got it back this afternoon. I kept myself from blowing a few holes in it this time!!!

No problem copying my shifter linkage, I copied it from the Vetter bike.

I don't even know what I have in take off parts, and other parts. Like I said befoe, I packed most of that stuff away back in 1986!!! I will in the near future bring all those boxes down to where I live now, and see what I got.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 21 May 2013 17:49 #588579

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

Hollywoodmx wrote: I don't want to sound like a jerk but what money would your really need to put this back together if you have all the parts?

Tires would be the most expensive, chain, various seals, fluids?

Well I wish it was that easy..

Got to put a motor together. That means the head I plan on using needs 8 fresh valves, and a good valve job. Just to be safe, I will put in new camchain, replace the valve springs. My old Yosh pistons need new rings. I would not mind finding a new set of 1015cc Slipper pistons it I could!!! Then hope the block is in spec, and no egg or taper. I NEVER put a fresh head together with used cam bearings either. Gaskits.

Now the chassis needs the S1 rearsets to be finished up. I hope they clear my tuck up Bassani pipe. If not I will have to build another style of rearsets then. I was putting Suzuki handlebar switches on both sides on bike when I parked it. I would like to get a set of Ohlins rear shocks if I could. Now if my Morris mags fail Xray test, I need like 2 grand in new wheels then!! And it goes on and on. In my book there is no skimping on the old family recipe in my book!!

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: badd grammer

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 02 Jun 2013 17:42 #590482

• AHRMA120
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
X-Ray your wheels? Is there some new vintage racing club that has cash purses? Your racing for wood and fun. I built my bikes from the ground up using stock parts current and old, all Kawasaki if I could. Both my bikes were fast and top of the field. There was one guy I could never beat. I think Craig Murray was his name out of New England, smoking fast on an old Guzzi with no ground clearance and i think he only ever used one set of tires in three years. I wouldn't have kept either for a good throw away. There are fast guys in Ahrma, best to just get in there and see where you stand. All the good stuff out there is now stock. The only thing I spent big money on was custom pistons, carbs, shocks and electronics. Spent a lot of time on Geometry and massaging forks. My Kz 900 was 22.5 degree front end with 61 inch wheel base and my little handling gem was 23.5 with 55 inch wheel base. I also practiced on track days against modern 600's. Top rider to top rider yes they pulled away but only in straights. My 650 dynoed at 85 hp and the 900 at 130. But I don't think anyone had a better handling bikes in class. Arthur is an excellent rider with a good bike but I am sure mine handled better. Won Daytona twice and as Jerry, can't remember his last name, engine builder for Johnny Staska said. Its who brought the beans. Staska was very, very fast until he highsided right in front of me and destroyed the bike and himself. If you don't crash once a year, you are not going fast enough.