Dwarf Car Project

More
01 Apr 2013 13:21 #579946 by justfreaky
Dwarf Car Project was created by justfreaky
Alright, So most of you will think I'm nuts! Perhaps.
I know there are a lot more current engines available; Fuel injected, etc...
This '80 KZ1000 was what ended up being in my budget.
I'll post some pics, questions and progress as things start coming together.
I just wanted to get a project thread started to track how the project is comming along.
Really enjoying the site! A lot of information to sort through and figure what will work for me.
Thanks to Wireman for his input on my project!

Steve

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 B4 LTD
1981 Suzuki XS1100 Special
1984 Honda VF500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Apr 2013 13:41 #580185 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Dwarf Car Project

Attachment popcorn_2011-05-24_2013-04-02.jpg not found

B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2013 21:34 - 23 Apr 2013 21:14 #580282 by justfreaky
Replied by justfreaky on topic Dwarf Car Project
OK; Bike stripped down and engine is out. Was a very productive day! :woohoo:
Just a little untangling of the wiring harness and that will be off also.
Carbs look very clean. Will still need to re-jet. So a good spraying down isn't going to hurt.

Next step will be to pull the pan. I want to check the pan for any ugly stuff; Check the oil pump; And install a trap door in the pan. The bike was pretty clean, so I am hopeful that things are good on the lower end.

Stay tuned for pics! :)

Steve

1984 Honda VF500
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 21:14 by justfreaky.

More
06 Apr 2013 09:24 - 06 Apr 2013 09:33 #580825 by justfreaky

Attachment sedan.jpg not found

Because everyone knows a project thread is no good without pics, let me see if I can load one.
As some will note, the rear clip was cut and some moron put trailer leaf springs on the chassis. I am working on repairing the rear clip and putting Carerra coil over shocks and springs on all 4 corners.

Steve

1984 Honda VF500
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Apr 2013 09:33 by justfreaky. Reason: More info

More
09 Apr 2013 15:20 #581415 by justfreaky
So, I've been collecting some parts. Oil pan trap door, magnetic oil drain plug, oil cooler fittings, oil cooler, manual cam chain tensioner, Rev limiter and velocity stacks have arrived. Awaiting gasket set and oil catch can/ breather. Also picked up a set of digital calipers and carb sync gauges.

Working on building my new air cleaner assembly; Hence the velocity stacks. Bought some aluminum plate and a 14"x4" K2C air filter. For those familiar with current "hot trends" in dwarf car racing, it will be very similar to the velocity system that Rossen Racing builds. Hopefully, all will work out well with my build. As the original air box has rubber velocity stacks inside, I think it should work out well. I'll try to post a pic so you all can see what you think.

Transmission on my truck went south. Awaiting my tax return to buy a tow vehicle so I can get the chassis off to the welder.

I guess that's my entry for today. Making progress; But slowly.

Steve

1984 Honda VF500

More
09 Apr 2013 15:58 #581420 by justfreaky
Here is a pic of the Rossen system. Of course it will have an air filter and a top cover.

1984 Honda VF500
Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2013 20:20 #581461 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Dwarf Car Project
I'm just trying to figure out how a KZ motor is going to move all that weight at any reasonable amount of speed. That looks awfully heavy for what torque these motors put out.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
09 Apr 2013 20:32 - 09 Apr 2013 20:36 #581465 by justfreaky
Engine sits in the chassis sideways and connects, via an adapter, to a driveshaft, then to a Toyota rear end. Total weight of the car will be around 1100 - 1200 pounds. They use anything from 600cc to 1250cc engines in these dwarf cars.For their size and weight, they get some pretty good speed.

As I mentioned in earlier post, it's what my budget could afford at the time. At some point in the future I will look towards a newer engine. For now, this should get me going. Going to be using the car for autocrossing.

Steve

1984 Honda VF500
Last edit: 09 Apr 2013 20:36 by justfreaky. Reason: additional information

More
09 Apr 2013 20:40 #581468 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Dwarf Car Project
I know they use these motors for this purpose all the time...even in dragsters....just doesn't seem like it would work but I know it does. This motor worked over will make a good one for what you are doing. Will be interesting to see how your car moves along. Keep us in on your progress with......pictures!!!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
09 Apr 2013 21:09 #581472 by justfreaky
The heaviest parts of the chassis, at this point, are the rear end and wheels/ tires.
It looks heavier than it is. While I am waiting on my new (to me) tow vehicle, I removed the engine from the donor bike ('80 KZ1000 LTD)along with the wiring harness and all the electronics. The bike was in pretty decent shape; Just been sitting awhile. My plan is to pull the pan, check the oil pump and install a trap door to keep the oil around the pump. Cam cover is next. Want to check the valve clearences and make sure everything looks sound up top. Cleaning up the carbs and working on my air filter right now. Hope to install the engine in the car and get my wiring and electronics hooked up as soon as possible. I'll post some pics as things come together.

Steve

1984 Honda VF500

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Apr 2013 21:57 #581494 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Dwarf Car Project

justfreaky wrote:

Attachment sedan.jpg not found

Because everyone knows a project thread is no good without pics, let me see if I can load one.
As some will note, the rear clip was cut and some moron put trailer leaf springs on the chassis. I am working on repairing the rear clip and putting Carerra coil over shocks and springs on all 4 corners.

Steve

Its been 20 years since I helped with a dwarf car chassis,maybe Im crazy/maybe things have just changed a lot but I seem to see a serious lack of any kind of triangulation and support in that chassis and roll cage. :blink:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

More
09 Apr 2013 22:26 #581510 by justfreaky
Still working on the chassis. Some of the bars in there are just temporary. When I get my tow vehicle, it is headed straight to the welding shop. Bracing for the cage, finish off the drivers compartment, doors... The main frame rails are 1x2x.125 and the main cage bars are 1 1/4x.125 tubing and more 1x2. I know I still have lots to do.

I picked this chassis up from a local guy that was wanting to build his own car. The project was scrapped after our local track dropped the dwarf cars. My plan is to use it in SCCA autocross events. I'm not crazy about the stock Datsun front suspension, btu it will do for now. Will change that at some future date.

The car under the tarp in the background is my other dwarf car. '40 Ford Coupe.I started that one 15 years ago with nothing but a pile of tubing and an idea. I've spent these past 15 years doing a lot of research and parts collecting. I moderate on a legends car site and plan to use a lot of the knowledge I have gained there over the years.

For now; Things are at least looking like I am making some headway. Once the welding on the cage is finished, I am hopefull that the rest will come along quickly.

Steve

1984 Honda VF500