This thread might be a dud..

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jan 2013 05:15 #566341 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic This thread might be a dud..
That and im sure i need to re-jet with that exhaust. No matter which way i go with the build, ill be keeping the airbox. I like how pods look but i heard they are nothing but trouble with how the bike runs.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2013 08:14 - 08 Jan 2013 08:19 #566343 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic This thread might be a dud..
1:19 secs into last clip (after tire chirp)...
Tim's face is classic!.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think the young man got a chubby.... :blink: :whistle: :woohoo:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 08:19 by Old Man Rock.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
08 Jan 2013 18:28 #566389 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic This thread might be a dud..
that thing needs some slick paint. what color do you want it

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jan 2013 18:43 #566392 by Kitten Tooth

Old Man Rock wrote: 1:19 secs into last clip (after tire chirp)...
Tim's face is classic!.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think the young man got a chubby.... :blink: :whistle: :woohoo:

That was when i weighed like 250 pounds. im 175 now B) atleast my poor bike doesn't have to haul a fat bastard around anymore :woohoo:

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
08 Jan 2013 18:52 #566394 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic This thread might be a dud..
Sounds like some mischief inside the clutch cover so far. I do NOT recommend tearing the motor down unless at least one of the following criteria are met
1. You have at least 2 other motorcycles
2. You have successfully rebuilt more than 1 inline four.
3. You have a mentor that meets above mentioned criteria.
4. You have the money to pay a pro to pick up your pieces.

Whenever I get around to putting together a streetfighter style thumper, I intend to pay a pro to do the engine, and hopefully they will let me apprentice under them for the job. One of our esteemed builders was gracious enough to agree to that for me, hopefully I get my act together as long as that offer still stands (kills me to see skills and knowledge like that not get passed on.)

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2013 01:57 #566489 by Kitten Tooth
I completely agree. If i had someone work with me on the motor i would be more than happy to do so. But me and my dad are basically at the same level of understanding and I dont know anyone else i could trust to help me either. the next best thing would be to drop it off at one of the local shops here in Sioux City and have some hack mechanic quickly pull it apart and slam it back together using old parts to save time. When i pull the motor apart, Ill do what KZjoe said to do. Have different manuals covering the same areas to compliment eachother on their information. I do have you guys too. :) So If i really need some help with something ill post detailed pictures and descriptions to help figure out why im stumped. I totally love this forum and the people apart of it. I have been helped more times than i can count and i have saved so much money just by becoming a member. If i do the rebuild.. Im going to be the one doing it. If i put it all together and it fires up and bends all the valves because i failed at doing the timing, it'll come back apart until i figure things out :D

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
18 Feb 2013 12:41 #573004 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic This thread might be a dud..
I don't think it's fair to say that this thread is entirely a dud from the start... It's a pretty fair question to ask about starting a rebuild, and this is certainly the place to ask about it.

While there is very good advice in the preceding responses to the initial question, I also think that a positive vote is worth throwing out there. I realize the simply fact that you have a bike that is running well at the moment, and I tend to agree with the general sentiment that you perhaps ought not to screw with at good thing when you have it, but at the same time, sometimes that's how you learn.

Dig into some of the old rebuilds on the forum, and have a look at what some of those guys did. There are some pretty amazingly well done/rebuilt bikes on this site whose owners didn't seem to know that much at the outset, and who probly didn't own much more that a socket set to begin with. (Now, to be fair, I don't know if owning ridiculous amounts of tools, and all that is a GOOD thing always, but I still like having the right tool for the job, and it WILL cost money!)

I guess all I'm driving at here is that if you are serious, organized and committed to getting the job done, it will happen eventually, and you'll likely find the support you need here to get it done. Having a couple of other bikes to ride may be nice, but probly not needed. Maybe not having the bike running is just the boost you may need to get the project done and spend the extra hours on it, I don't know.

In any case, I guess I just figured all the good but sorta negative advice needed a foil. Go for it... :laugh:

Cheers

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)