Restoring Old KZ!

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 15:16 #526130 by edhilgendorf
Replied by edhilgendorf on topic Restoring Old KZ!
New development- I want to do a compression(can this thread be moved to projects...?) test, so I pulled off the timing cover and manually turned the motor (after replacing the oil), it seems to turn a couple times, but then hits a spot where it won't move. The spark plugs are out, so it shouldn't be stuck due to compression. Any ideas what to test for or how to tackle this? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2012 15:33 #526134 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Restoring Old KZ!
If you don't have a shop manual, I'd stop now until you get one, as you could possbly be trying to bend a valve. The shop manual will walk you through the timing steps needed to sync the cams and valve train.

Manuals(Some of these websites sell used manuals, just ask)
www.repairmanual.com
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 15:43 #526140 by edhilgendorf
I have a manual- somewhere. After contacting a local bike shop, he recommended rotating the engine back and forth slowly with the marvel in it. I tried that, and now it turns freely by hand. I don't think it would be out of time, as the chain is a manual adjuster and has never had problems, also I haven't taken any thing off the motor other than the timing cover. Is there a way to "flush" the motor? I'll track down the repair manual this week, thanks again.

More
31 May 2012 16:31 #526146 by MFolks
About the only way I can think of "Flushing" the engine will be in first changine the oil,getting it to run, so it gets up to operating temperature and then replacing the oil again. Any flushing solvent may thin out the lubrication between moving parts, possible seizing piston rings, or damaging bearings.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
31 May 2012 17:11 #526150 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Restoring Old KZ!

edhilgendorf wrote: ...can this thread be moved to projects...?....

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2012 01:20 #526243 by edhilgendorf
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOk, so got the engine to turn over smoothly, so changed the oil and checked the conpression: 120,70,90,the last one wouldn't read at all.

I'm still dead set on getting this thing running, already paid for the new used ignition.

How does this look:

Thanks for all the advice.

More
01 Jun 2012 01:42 #526245 by MFolks
Low to no compression might mean possibly open or (hope not!) burned valve. I'd get a shop manual and read up on checking the valve clearances. On this bike and the 750's, the cams must come out to replace the valve shims, as they are the under bucket type.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2012 01:56 #526246 by edhilgendorf
I was considering a stuck or out of adjustment valve, but I remember before I took the bike, 3 years ago it had a valve adjustment done. After that I probably at 5000 miles at most on it. Looking on Ebay, these motors have up to and over 170 psi per cylinder. Seeing as the valve adjustment was done not even 10k miles ago, and the bike is almost 100 low per cylinder, I feel like I should just jump on this deal. (considering its only an hour drive from my house) Is there something obvious I could be missing here? I will pull the valve cover and check clearances tomorrow, thanks again!

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2012 14:39 #529601 by edhilgendorf
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo swapped the motor, and now looking to continue with the electronic ignition install. Which coils should I go with? The ignition I got was stock from a 81 KZ. I found these on Ebay, look to be in nice condition:

Thanks for any input!

More
16 Jun 2012 18:08 #529643 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Restoring Old KZ!
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

edhilgendorf wrote: So swapped the motor, and now looking to continue with the electronic ignition install. Which coils should I go with? The ignition I got was stock from a 81 KZ. I found these on Ebay, look to be in nice condition:
Thanks for any input!

Would suggest checking with Z1 Enterprises for two brand new ignition coils, and a set of Dyna plug wires.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD