Restoring Old KZ!

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2012 18:33 #525441 by edhilgendorf
Restoring Old KZ! was created by edhilgendorf
Hey, my names Edward I am new to the forum, I live in Gainesville, Florida and I'm in the process of restoring an KZ650. It was my grandfathers bike, and been in storage for about three years, before that I rode it pretty much daily but put it up once I bought a newer bike. Couldn't stop thinking about it, so now I've pulled it out of the shed and want to get it running as a daily rider. Before I took possession of the bike in '09, my dads friend owned the bike for nearly 7 years, and a lot of the parts have been swapped out and it's definitely seen better days. On the frame it says KZ650E, 7/79. So the first thing I want to do (and why I'm posting in electrical) is overhaul the ignition. I'd like to do an electronic ignition, and get new wires, plugs, boots, coils.

My first question: How do I know which model this bike is, so I can select the correct ignition from Z1 Enterprises?

Second: How difficult is this to install?
I have moderate electrical experience, I've replaced the R/R on my SV and done other small tasks, like replacing the glass type fuses on the KZ with blade type.

Any ideas on where to start or what to do will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'll get better pictures soon, thanks!

Attachment Photo05281719_3.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2012 18:47 - 28 May 2012 18:50 #525443 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Restoring Old KZ!
You need to get the vin number of the engine, it is on the right side right below the carbs on the top the engine. you should also get the vin number off the frame its right behind the headlight bucket on the steering stem head on the frame. then get on zedder.com and click bike info then scroll down to 650cc and click on the 1979s and it will tell you vin number ranges for both engine and frame.just look thru them until you find your vin range.also would do some searching in the search for old posts that discuss electronic ignitions with the 650s.Some 650s if i remember correctly have charging issues while running electronic ignitions. the electronic ignitions pull to my amps if i remember correctly would do some searching to learn more.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 28 May 2012 18:50 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
28 May 2012 18:55 #525444 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restoring Old KZ!
Welcome aboard! Once you determine exactly the year/model of your "new" bike you may want to consider using the electronic ignition system from a newer KZ650 model. Those are very reliable and do not draw as much current as some (or all?) of the aftermarket systems. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 May 2012 18:57 #525445 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Restoring Old KZ!
That's the general consensus, the stator is not up to the task on the 650 for electronic ignitions but there is an upgrade to fix that. Z1Enterprises would be a great place to start.
Your grandfather's bike? Man, I feel old now.

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2012 20:57 #525477 by edhilgendorf
Replied by edhilgendorf on topic Restoring Old KZ!
Wow thanks for all the quick replies! For some reason, I can't find KZ650s on zedder? I am looking here: zedder.com/msg1.htm#Kawasaki but it seems to skip from 400 to 750.

Also, here is the number on the frame: KZ650E-000197 Is this the frame vin? The engine vin is: KZ650DE026194

Does this mean I have a different frame/engine? I work at autozone, so I have a little knowledge about these things. Usually, on cars VINs match.

I'm glad I asked here before jumping on a new ignition. I'll look around for a newer ignition. Are these pretty much universal, as long as it is a KZ650?

Thanks again, can't wait to get this thing in shape!

Side note: Anyone know where to find a front fender and new side covers...?

More
28 May 2012 21:12 #525485 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Restoring Old KZ!

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 May 2012 22:01 #525496 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Restoring Old KZ!
Look on this page

Looks like you have a very low number E model so it's possible that you have a D model engine. They were only loosely associated back then so it could be that you ended up with a low number frame and a high number engine from the previous model.
Guys who are into concourse ready, pristine Z1's look for those born-on dates on every part and can tell if they are original based on how close together in time they are. The rest of us? Not so much...

More
28 May 2012 22:50 - 28 May 2012 22:52 #525504 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restoring Old KZ!
Your bike is a 1980 KZ650-E1 LTD. Both your VIN and the engine number are correct for this model. Look at this link for confirmation:

models.kz650.info/index.htm

For the electronic ignition for the KZ650, here's a quote from anarki650 on the KZ650info site:

"81 and newer kz650 or 750 4 cylinder models will be a direct bolt up. You'll need the CDI box that goes along with the ignition, and the later coils probably wouldn't hurt to match resistances. Really a very easy swap and would be a direct plug and play with less actual electrical work involved than initially timing any of the aftermarket systems."

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 28 May 2012 22:52 by 650ed.

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2012 16:58 #525700 by edhilgendorf
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGreat! Nice to finally know which bike to pick when looking for parts finally! I'm going to e-mail each of those salvage companies with parts requests, I just wanted to make sure I am asking for the correct part. I'd need basically the entire ignition system for an 81 or newer KZ650 or 750, this would include the ignition that replace the points and condensers, what exactly is that called? It's a magnetic pick up, right? Also I would need the coils that come of a 81 or newer kz 650 to match the new ignition? I've scoured Ebay (what a pain) and have only found the coils ()

I am realizing I should have put this post in the Project forum, didn't realize there was one, sorry..
On an unrelated note, I don't have a tag, or title, and the last person who had the bike legal has passed away.(my grandfather put a tag on it for me, under his name a few years ago, then passed away a year later) Where should I start on getting a new tag or title for this bike? Thanks again.

More
29 May 2012 17:50 #525708 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Restoring Old KZ!
I'd get new ignition parts:
New ignition coils
New sparkplug wires
New sparkplug caps(or if you're going with non supression sparkplug wires, as you don't want both because it may lower the spark energy).

The IC Igniter may come from a doner bike, but you'll need the pickup(pulsing) coils and the mechanical ignition advancer, with the magnets along with related wiring.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 May 2012 17:54 #525709 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Restoring Old KZ!
Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• edhilgendorf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 11:30 #526095 by edhilgendorf
Well thanks again for all the help, with those salvage sites I was finally able to track down some ignition parts, and one of the missing side covers. I can get the ignitor and pulsar plate from cycle-salvage, and he said all I will need now are the coils, which I'd prefer to buy new anyways. Is there anything I am missing, or am I good to go with the ignitor, pulsar plate, and new coils? Someone recommended putting Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and let it drip over night since it has sat so long. Is this necessary or a good idea?