Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !

• Julian@MotoCARR
  • User
  • Automotive Afficianado
More
06 Mar 2012 13:07 #508117 by Julian@MotoCARR
Replied by Julian@MotoCARR on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !
Want to do another one :D?

Humans are smart
People are stupid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2012 14:53 #508127 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !
always happy to help keep these old bikes rollin :cheer: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
11 Mar 2012 20:22 #509102 by Scootjockey
Replied by Scootjockey on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !
Progress Update.

I decided that I wanted a better place to work on the bike, so I spent the weekend building this......

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

It's nice and sturdy, and still light enough to move it around the garage. It's JUST long enough to fit the KZ.

I bought some cool handlebar risers on Ebay. They're stock risers from a 09-12 Ninja 650R. I'll shorten and re-thread the stems to fit my upper triple.

[IMG

[IMG

I've finally got a line on a machine shop to turn down the rear sprocket carrier, going to go by this week. It's nearly time to temporarily install the engine in the frame to check for sprocket alignment. I built the lower table leg braces high enough to get the legs of my engine crane under the table. That will help lifting the engine up there to get it in the frame. I think that I will be able to lift an entire bike up there with the crane if I want to.

One last pic. Here's the engine, sleeping under the shelves. It's hopefully going to be waking up soon :-) It has a 1075 Wiseco kit, APE cylinder studs, and Pingel cam cover end plugs; other than that, it's stock. I'm putting police bike CV carbs on it, but that's as far as I'm going to go this season. I'd like to put in some hotter cams and do a little port matching, but that's for next winter.

The black is powdercoating. I found out the hard way that Castrol Superclean (the purple stuff) is strong enough undiluted to etch the powdercoat and dull the shine. I sprayed it with high-temp clear, but that has also dulled over time. Next time it comes apart I'm stripping it back to aluminum.

[IMG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1980 KZ1000 LTD (MKII Body, 1990 ZX7 Front End and Rear Wheel, GS1100 Swingarm, 1075 Wiseco Kit, STILL not finished!!)
1986 FJ1200 (Home again!)

"Scoot jockeys?"
"Yeah, nomad trash"

More
30 Mar 2012 16:31 #513049 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !
hei scoot

dont know if you check your PM's so in any case,

i use ZX6R rear 520 sprockets and the front ones are AFAM 24502, just add the teeth number i.e. 24502-16

by cross referencing it looks like a JT sporckets JTF516 is similar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scootjockey

More
30 Mar 2012 19:17 #513066 by Scootjockey
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll look into those part numbers. I haven't been online here in a little while, life happening elsewhere.

1980 KZ1000 LTD (MKII Body, 1990 ZX7 Front End and Rear Wheel, GS1100 Swingarm, 1075 Wiseco Kit, STILL not finished!!)

"Scoot jockeys?"
"Yeah, nomad trash"

More
01 Mar 2013 22:47 #574812 by Scootjockey
So....Hello everyone. I've been gone quite a while, but I'm back and workin' on the KZ again. I won't bore you with the details, but sometimes the hobby has to take a back seat to real life.

First, I was able to find a great machinist, who whittled a half inch off the sprocket side of the carrier. The sprocket studs are going to need to have a little trimmed off, but I can spin the wheel without hitting the swingarm as it is, just want a little more clearance.

Second, I drilled the upper triple for my risers, and got the All Balls races driven in. Looks like it's all going to bolt together perfectly. I still need to grease the bearings.

Third, I'm negotiating with my wife right now on the purchase of a welder :) . I'm gathering frame bracing info and will start gathering the materials that I need soon. If the welder falls through, I may get the plates and tubing fitted, then take it all to my brother's house and have him weld it.

I'm going to get some pics taken and posted tomorrow, hopefully I can get a lot done this weekend.

Happy to be active here again. Safe riding!!

"Scoot jockeys?"
"Yeah, nomad trash"

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Mar 2013 00:04 #574824 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !

Pigford wrote: My Mk.II runs a 180 section rear (GSXR s/arm & wheel) - fitted a 5/8" off-set front sprox and had 5mm shaved off the rear sprox carrier......

Keep up the good work ;)

Attachment quag_2012-10-15_2013-03-01.jpg not found

B) B) B) B) B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Mar 2013 00:11 #574827 by wireman

Scootjockey wrote: So....Hello everyone. I've been gone quite a while, but I'm back and workin' on the KZ again. I won't bore you with the details, but sometimes the hobby has to take a back seat to real life.

First, I was able to find a great machinist, who whittled a half inch off the sprocket side of the carrier. The sprocket studs are going to need to have a little trimmed off, but I can spin the wheel without hitting the swingarm as it is, just want a little more clearance.

Second, I drilled the upper triple for my risers, and got the All Balls races driven in. Looks like it's all going to bolt together perfectly. I still need to grease the bearings.

Third, I'm negotiating with my wife right now on the purchase of a welder :) . I'm gathering frame bracing info and will start gathering the materials that I need soon. If the welder falls through, I may get the plates and tubing fitted, then take it all to my brother's house and have him weld it.

I'm going to get some pics taken and posted tomorrow, hopefully I can get a lot done this weekend.

Happy to be active here again. Safe riding!!

maybe this will give you some ideas on frame bracing B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2013 02:32 #574844 by Scootjockey
I like the sheetmetal bracing near the coil mount; I usually see that done with tubing. Thanks for sharing :-)

"Scoot jockeys?"
"Yeah, nomad trash"

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Mar 2013 03:00 #574848 by wireman
I do that because it ties more surface area of the backbone together, and it leaves more working area for running stuff behind them than the tubing style braces B)

More
03 Mar 2013 07:02 #575038 by farmer1
Replied by farmer1 on topic Goodbye LTD, Hello MKII !
So is it a shaft model tank or a mk2 tank? looks good.

More
03 Mar 2013 13:53 - 03 Mar 2013 13:55 #575062 by Scootjockey
I'm using a MKII tank and tail section. The shaft frame is different, and that tank won't fit the standard frame. My side covers are from a shaft drive, and it looks like they aren't going to fit right either-grommet holes and seat lock hole don't line up correctly. I need to get the correct MKII side covers, and I still might need to add the bottom grommet tab to my LTD frame.

"Scoot jockeys?"
"Yeah, nomad trash"
Last edit: 03 Mar 2013 13:55 by Scootjockey.