KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project

More
26 Aug 2011 19:21 #472006 by KraZ900
KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project was created by KraZ900
Thought since I have a project bike I might as well start a thread. So you guys/gals could view the slow on going progress of my KZ. Just got my rear duck bill fender in yesterday. I'm going to get some hardware and attach it. It doesn't match the color of the bike, it's black, but the bike will be blacked out any ways. Going for a blacked out look very little shiny things. Might keep the case and carbs aluminum, but all the covers, head, valve covers, frame and body parts will be a black. I think the contrast of the black covers on the raw aluminum will look good. I was also contemplating a satin black except the frame, gloss for easy wipe up of oil and grime. All chrome will be gone. Maybe little bits of shiny things like then headlight, mirrors, sanctions, chain barrels, hose clamps, etc. I don't have to worry much on the brake rotors because I'll just turn em blue. :P Will be posting a picture of the duck bill installed tomorrow.
Note this project is going to take a while, due to being a broke joke. So if anyone want to sponsor my bike to speed up the process. That will be awesome. If not then I tried, lol "hey what do I got to lose?":laugh: I have been looking for wrecked zx10's like crazy. Everyone that has one wants too much for them. Like one I found had a smashed tank, seat was gone shrouds were beyond repair as well as the frame, but the front end was good minus the handle bars, and so was the rear swing arm and wheels. The guy wanted 2 grand? What? the thing is totaled! "I'll give you 700". He wouldn't take it. He said "I still owe on this bike" Obviously he wasn't riding with full coverage. Oh well. I'm keeping my eyes out.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 15:15 #472571 by KraZ900
Replied by KraZ900 on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
So sorry no pictures. My computer had a crazy browser hijacker. It was about ready to start a fresh copy of windows anyway. Also snapped a throttle cable.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 18:35 #472630 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
not sure what the master plan is, but a 94 to 97 zx9 has about the longest front fork available. in the upside downers.
good luck

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KraZ900

More
30 Aug 2011 19:33 #472993 by KraZ900
What causes wobble? When I am coasting and I let go of my handle bars the bike front wheel wobbles. It also wobbles when I start to top out in speed. Is this an alignment issue? Is the rear wheel cocked to one side? Or is this what happens without a stabilizer?

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Aug 2011 19:46 #472994 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
id start with ballancing the tires. then chack steering had and swingarm bearings, rear wheel alignmnt

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
13 Feb 2012 22:47 #503847 by KraZ900
Sorry It's been awhile. I still have the bike so no worries there. I just ordered some parts for it. I just bobbed off my inner rear fender. I also cut the hanger of my muffler so it will sit higher. I was dragging pipe on right hand turns lol. I have decided to put a fairing w/ turn signals on it, and a cbr tail light with integrated turn signals. Will post some pics soon. Oh and any info on extending swing arms will be cool since I cant find a mono shock swingarm to save my life.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD

More
14 Feb 2012 12:21 - 14 Feb 2012 12:21 #503953 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
these zx636 swingers make a nice swingarm for the kz's.

zx636 swingarm

have you seen

ramtoughs thread

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 12:21 by 531blackbanshee.

More
16 Feb 2012 02:02 #504335 by KraZ900
Thank you. Most helpful.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD

More
16 Feb 2012 02:39 - 16 Feb 2012 03:00 #504343 by KraZ900
Here are some pics of the work in progress.

The previous crackhead owner had murdered the ignition so I got a plastic piece and covered the hole, filled the hole with an extremely expensive 2 part 3M epoxy (courtesy from my buddy in the body shop next door). So I slapped a new ignition in Bam. NOTE: The safety pin for cleaning out that hole in the brake fluid reservoir.

Planning stitch lines on the new seat cover. Im going to split the seat pan into two parts taking about an inch in the middle, then weld it back together. Giving the seat a thinner profile. I'm used to a motocross seat, so the big fatty patty seat is just to hard for me to shift around on.

Got the inner fender out, pretty easy only a couple of bolt holding it in. Made my cut lines.

Made the cuts with a air hack. Did a stereo install for a guy today, he said he just got a powder coating gun and an oven, so he is going to spray it black.

I don't have a before picture but my exhaust pipe was about parallel with the ground and I was draggin pipe on corners so I brought it up a bit.

I cut the ear off the top and flipped it upside down. I put the ear on the hanger and swiveled the pipe up to get ready to tack into place.

All welded up! Had to throw a sliver in to complete the hanger ear. But the pipe is up and happy. And my girlfriends right foot will stay warm.

Things that got ordered: Black 28" drag bars, New throttle cables, tach cable, bar end mirrors, cbr rear tail light with integrated turn signals, an orange right side cover $18, and a front fairing.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 03:00 by KraZ900.

More
16 Feb 2012 10:55 #504390 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
how bout steppin around by the front and taking a pic of that crashbarstuntcage dealio you got going on up front.

looks interesting.

glad that you are making progress.

thats some pretty welding :) .

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
25 Feb 2012 04:11 - 25 Feb 2012 04:14 #506215 by KraZ900
Well got most of my parts in. Just waiting for the fairing. Installed the tach cable, drag bars, taillight, and prepped all the plastic for painting. Talked to the painter next door at Auto Body Concepts and he said if I buy the paint and primer he'll shoot it for me. Pretty nice of him.
Here is the picture right after I got it back from M-Tech motorcycles. Fresh valve job. The mechanic said that there were a few valves that had no clearance and the rest were pretty tight, also he noticed that one of the cams skipped timing so he fixed that. He fixed my leaking petcock and synced the carbs for a grand total of 150 bucks. So basically payment for just the valve job, I could not be happier for the service there. To blackbanshee: There is the dillio on the front I think I'm going to keep it on there. It has some tabs on it that I could possibly mount some fog lights? :huh:

Stripped it down and installed the drag bars.

Here is the cbr taillight.

Used some super mighty glue for this piece of metel for the light to hook on. This glue is a 2 part 3m epoxy that bonds to prepped surfaces and cures so fast, it was setting up in the mixing tube while I was pumping it out of the gun. It takes 5 min to set up and 10-15 min to cure to a workable sand able material.

Used some heavy duty stereo backstrap to secure the light in place. If that doesn't hold I'll weld up a bracket to the subframe.

Its pretty bright this is just the running light.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 25 Feb 2012 04:14 by KraZ900.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Feb 2012 04:37 #506216 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ900LTD Streetfighter Project
I think you will really like that taillight. I have a R-6 integrated LED taillight on my bike that I bought from Motodynamic and I have had no trouble with it. It looks like it fits really well.

Keep up the good work. Seems like you are making good progress.

BTW I like the crash bars. They follow the frame nicely. I think you should keep them.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN