1980 Z1R at a snails pace

More
24 Jul 2011 20:56 - 24 Jul 2011 23:19 #464661 by Oarhead
1980 Z1R at a snails pace was created by Oarhead
Disclaimer: This is not a thread that shows fancy bikes and master fabrication. There will not be any elegant solutions to complex problems.

What you will see is a pretty beat up bike that is going to be brought to the point of running. That's it, that's all. It is my first bike and I have been told that I will probably drop it or lay it down in the first year of riding. I would feel pretty stupid if I had to repeat all of that hard work.

My fabrication tools include: a hand drill. That's it. Laugh all you want. I do however have a friend with a drill press and a lot can be done with that and a band saw. I guess I need to find somebody with one of those.

Ok, here is what we are starting with:

Attachment P1010398_2011-07-24.JPG not found

It has been sitting in a barn for a bit. It is in rough shape but it runs.
Easy right? Tune the carbs, install signals and we are pretty much ready to ride.
Maybe not. I have a problem. I always end up diving deeper and deeper than I should.
So I started to do a bit of this:

Attachment P1010399.JPG not found

And this:

Attachment P1010413.JPG not found

As you can see from the last pic there is a just a teeny bit of work to do. FOr now that means cleaning the gunk off of it. Not sure if I have to replace the chain and sprocket for the time being. THere doesn't look like too much wear on the teeth.

Here is the dash. THe fuel gauge is missing and the fascia is conveniently in multiple pieces for easier loss. THe tach and speedo work and are in good shape. I think I might just trim the shit out of it and clean it up. Ditch the top face - I have emailed a number of scarap yards int eh states and have heard nothing back from them. I am not ready to $300 or $400 for that one plastic piece - maybe when I am old and rich. I need to figure out the dummy light though. Feel free to suggest.

Attachment P1010406.JPG not found

Here are the carbs:

Attachment P1010403.JPG not found

I opened up the bowls and they were pretty clean inside. Having said that, i ahve never seen teh inside of a carb before so my opinion doesn't mean shit. Still, it looked clean. Good enough for now.

I wanted to see what was behind the light. So I took it out. Why not.

Attachment P1010402.JPG not found

The left fork ear is broken and ground down in a couple of places. I was stoked to find one online from Z power (thanks yo). Yesterday I removed the top triple so that I could install it when I get it. I just about blinded myself when the springs popped the topcap off. It was practically something from looney tunes. In the process I found that the air valve in the topcap of the left fork is totally stripped. Luckily it doesn't hit the handlebar riser but it is probably something I should replace. THere was no pressure in the tubes - is this something that I need to address when I put it back together? Is there a pressure/rider weight chart?

Ok, that is enough for one day. I have to spread it out so that it looks like I am progressing somewhere.

Next topics:
1. Drilled handlebars and what a MFing pain in the ass they are. FOr more than one reason.
2. Seat pans and what a MFing pain in the ass they are. Rust + seat pans = beer + more beer. Apparently they go really swell together. Why did the Z1R have to be 'special'? In my world 'special' = damn expensive.
3. Electricty and I don't get along. Ever.
4. Bryan gets the idea that he can manufacture something even though he doesn't own any tools.

Good day.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 23:19 by Oarhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
24 Jul 2011 23:35 #464698 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Cool, another barn find 80 Z1R. I've got her sister in my garage...and its just as rough, well maybe rougher lol.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Jul 2011 11:18 #464775 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
nice...very very nice...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Jul 2011 20:57 #464890 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Great find and welcome aboard.

Please get a factory shop manual ASAP before some flying bit goes thru yer head! You may be able to find a free one in the file base on this site, otherwise, it will be the best $$ you ever spend on the bike.

Next topics 1-3 can be solved by the helpful folks around here. You're on your own with #4. ;-)

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Jul 2011 21:10 #464893 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 Jul 2011 21:44 #464905 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
With time and $$, all can be brought back to like new.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2011 22:10 #464913 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Great find/save and welcome.If u really get desperate I have a perfect seat and tank for that bike in my shop.Let me know if u need em.bj

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Jul 2011 22:21 - 25 Jul 2011 22:23 #464915 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
1. Just open your wallet and take out a fist full of hundreds.
2. Rub down the bike with them, they really like it and respond well.
3. Stick a few in the gas tank, several in the carb intakes, and a mitt full up the tail pipe...

You're ready to begin! :laugh: :woohoo:

Love it. :pinch:

PS - Dont run that shit till you get some pod filters on there and set the fuel height in the carbs, and turn the mixture screws out till the engine stumbles, then turn back in a half turn. Make sure to constantly set your idle back to 1000rpm after every change - and make sure that all four pipes are getting hot at idle, choke closed - dont give it throttle.
To check pipes, spray with a water mist - it should sizzle off immediately on all four pipes the same after a minute of idling. Or tap damn quickly with fingers.

Oh yeah... a compression check wouldnt hurt, inline fuel filter. Fresh gas and oil. Lube all cables,etc.

Ah hell, just get the damn manual as suggested!! :laugh: :P

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 25 Jul 2011 22:23 by TeK9iNe.

More
26 Jul 2011 01:50 #464976 by Oarhead
Replied by Oarhead on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Thanks for the kind words.
Bought a manual the same day I bought the bike. I don' have access to the oracle of Delphi so I settled for a CLymers.

THe clutch perch was busted so i found a 2nd hand one for $10. Took it apart and enameled it. It's ready to go back onto the bike. I am a bike building maestro. The sheer hours spent spraying that clutch mount should seal my place in the pantheon of master craftsmen. If that didn't do it, the cardboard template of a hidden rear fender should do it.

While I am here I have 3 questions about handlebars:
Question 1: I am tall and have big monkey arms. THink Mr. Tickle from Mr. Men. So I wanted to swap out the bars for some superbike bars: lower, less sweep, better riding position for me. Now, I can find superbike bars and for a good pair I am looking at $50ish. For crappy ones I am looking at 25ish. But none of them are drilled. A new pair of drilled bars cost $130ish. I think you see where I am going. I will have access to a drill press soon. But seriously, do I really want to drill 2 holes into a set of bars?? is that ok? I bike ride, and I sure as shit would NEVER drill a set of handlebars on my bike. Do people do this? I checked wall diameter of undrilled bars and they are the same as my drilled bars.

Second question: Do I have an alternative? The metal grommet on the inside of the left electric pod (signals, lighst etc), fit oh-so nice into the drilled portion. It doesn't look like it is compatible with no hole. UNless there is some fancy way to rout 10 wires into the aether only to have them reappear at the appropriate connector.

THird and final question (and yes, I used the search function): Is there some sneaky way to run wiring in drilled bars? It took me an hour(!!) to pull the wiring Out of the bars, I shudder to think what it will take to run that back in.

More
26 Jul 2011 02:13 #464980 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
I wouldn't drill out a set of bars. The burr left behinde will eat through the wires in about 10 minutes. Get the cheap superbike bars and buy some of the factory zip ties and just tie the wires to the bars. The kawasaki ties are about a half inch wide and you might be able to get them at Z1enterprises.com.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Jul 2011 07:23 #464996 by 0Z.Z1R Mk2
Replied by 0Z.Z1R Mk2 on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Oarhead..have just done the wire refit through the bars,and is easier than you think.

Tape up the connector ends,tie a piece of string to loom,thread the string through the bar and do the pull push thing.

This job is made much easier by lubing the bars and wiring loom.:whistle:

1976 KH 500 triple
1978 Z1R D1
1980 Z1R MK2
1983 Gpz750 turbo
2007 ZRX 1200r
1982 GSX 1000S Katana
1983 GSX 1000S Katana
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

More
27 Jul 2011 01:37 #465231 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
welcome!

you have an awesome start i am loving all the z1r's coming out of the wood work. :evil:

dashes are a bitch,hard to find and expensive when you do.you might give redlinecycles a call when you get serious.if you plan to dump it much.
might be a good idea to strip the z1r specific stuff off and get your sh!t together.
then put it back right.
kz 900 or 1000 tanks will fit for some learnin.
i don't know how much zpower charged you for that bracket but i recently had to go in with another member to replace one of mine that was broken in a wreck.it wasn't cheap.
when these Z1r's goes down for some reason the like to slam the fairing into the pavemnt and jack the fairing and brake the brackets even low speed dumps get expensive quickly.
you have the makins of an awesome bike,i can't wait to see what you do with it.
keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0