1980 Z1R at a snails pace

More
12 Oct 2011 23:44 - 12 Oct 2011 23:51 #482856 by Oarhead
Replied by Oarhead on topic 1980 Z1R at a snails pace
Time for my random update. No pics. I keep forgetting my camera but to be hnest, nobody here will be impressed of clse p shots of a hole drilled through a piece of natty aluminium.

Work is killing me. Oh well. I have not won the lottery but expect to some day soon. However, like most canadians I don't buy lottery tickets.

I got a set of superbike bars and spent some time int he machine shop relearning how to use a mill. I got the handlebars drilled out which was great. I took peoples advice from here for running the wires back through and it worked great. The Bars look good on the bike.
I replaced all 4 blinkers but am a bit worried. hey had 1 less wire than what was on the bike when I got it. I need to try and figure out which wire is (+) and which is (-).

FInished most of the dash. I figured out how to use a rotary plate on the mill. I had already shaped the outside by hand so it is not a tidy as the inner curves. Attached the dummy light panel to the faceplate. Have to do some work with cleaning it up but I have to say that it doesn't look too bad. Stil have to drill out the hole for the ammeter. I don't have a fuel gauge so I will leave that blank or put something funny in that space. Suggestions? (I realize that i may be talking to myself here but apparently that can therapeutic so whatever).

I need to get some small diameter spacers to separate the three levels of the faceplate (fuel/amm; tach/speedo; ignition). I am going to drop by a hobby electronic store - somebody recommended using 'standoffs'. Apparently these are spacers that are used to separate electrical circuit boards. COuld be good. While I am there I will try and find a 3.4 W bulb. All I can find in hardware/automotive stores are 4W bulbs.

Bought a muffler. Supertrapp. I asked a Q in one of the other sections and got a good answer about how to hang it. Will chase that soon.

The wiring behind the headlight is a crazy rats nest. I am somewhat intimidated about how I will fit everything.

The seat that I got a line on looks fantastic (it will probably be the nicest thing on the bike).

Decided to just do a tiny bit of touch up paint. Stupid stupid stupid. I have now learned several valuable lessons about painting:
1. Don't use power sanders if you don't know what you are doing.
2. Read a couple of threads about painting before trying to paint.
3. Patience, patience patience.
3. THere is no such thing as touch up painting. I ended up painting the fairing, the tailpiece and part of one side panel (which is going to have to be redone). Tank, fender and both side panels will probably have to be done along with the header. Later.
Just doing rattle can for now. Maybe do something better in later years after I scratch it up a bit.

Going away for a bit so I won't be riding it this year. SHit. But hey, there is always next year.

Oh yeah, might as well throw in a random pic of nice stuff that i get to see around here. This is by Lake O'Hara. I went on a 3 day ski tour up there last year and will do it again this year. Killer spot but goddman was it cold: -30C (-20F) during the days.

Attachment P1010354.JPG not found

Attachment P1010341.JPG not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2011 23:51 by Oarhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.