Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike

More
24 Aug 2011 12:19 #471443 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike

Moshua wrote:

If you decide to remove that label I'd give you $15 for it. I need a newer model year template for reproduction labels I print.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2011 01:47 #476955 by Moshua
Replied by Moshua on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike
Sorry all i've been working very diligently on my VW Golf trying to get ready for a show in Indianapolis this Sunday.

I'm already thinking about all that i want to do. In the ev world they make some very small sealed 12v batteries which will be perfect to hide under a seat. Also reading the mosquito build thread has given me a lot of inspiration and great ideas.

I do have a question though. Where can i purchase a decently priced re-spoking kit. I'd like to have chrome spokes and a cream rim. Any tips on respoking the wheel. I've done bicycle wheels but never a motorcycle one. I know its very time consuming but i'd like to really put some time and effort and disassemble the wheels and make them look sharp. Thanks to all who have helped so far. I will begin putting things back together shortly and some possible fab work if i ever get up the balls to pull out the welder and learn some stuff.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Sep 2011 04:22 - 15 Sep 2011 05:57 #476976 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike

martin_csr wrote:

testarossa wrote: I'm with Proxy. I thought Mosquito 2.0 when I first saw this thread. I have always thought that a really stripped down, super light small twin like a KZ400 would be a fun bike for around town type use. Kinda like a bicycle with a 35hp motor. :woohoo:

Yeah, I've always thought this was a really cool bike too.

oh i like that,and i just happen to have a 400 fresh from the shed sitting in my truck! :woohoo:
other than the clip ons and number plate i think ive found the general direction for my build!

Attachment quagmire_2011-09-15.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 05:57 by wireman.

More
15 Sep 2011 12:53 #477040 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike
Your bike uses a permanent-magnet alternator, so that means it can use a capacitor instead of a battery. Capacitors are very small and light and can be hidden jst about anywhere. The only other thing you may have to do is use a regulator/rectifier combo unit from a later bike if the one on your bike is not a true regulator. The wiring diagram only shows the reg/rec as being a rectifier, but the service manual describes it as a true regulator. If it's a true regulator, then you are good to go with a 4000 to 6000 microfarad, 35v to 50v, electrolytic capacitor. Just put the capacitor in place of the battery. It has a positive and negative just like a battery.

Obviously you only be able to start it with a kick start, and you will want everything except the ignition turned off while starting.

Before converting to battery-less, you want to make sure the bike runs and starts easily with the battery, so build it with the standard battery to get all the bugs out, then convert to battery-less.

I would stay away from the lithium batteries for now. They prefer really good regulation that your bike won't have.

More
15 Sep 2011 19:48 #477117 by Pontiacdude210
Replied by Pontiacdude210 on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike
I'll be following this thread, I love seeing a bike turn from a pile of parts into something really sharp. I was fascinated by the mosquito also though :)

-1980 KZ550C Viper Red, Black Fenders

More
10 Dec 2011 05:14 #492484 by Moshua
bump for quick question

where can i find the piece i'm pointing to in the picture. I honestly don't know what its technical name is? Am i best to look for this in a parts bike or junk yard?

Any help greatly appreciated, If this could be made also let me know what you think

More
10 Dec 2011 05:58 - 13 Feb 2012 17:40 #492485 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 17:40 by KZ250LTD.

More
10 Dec 2011 06:50 - 10 Dec 2011 06:50 #492488 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Moshua's Kz200 Project Bike

Moshua wrote: ...technical name....

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Dec 2011 06:50 by Patton.

More
10 Dec 2011 13:03 - 13 Feb 2012 17:40 #492520 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 17:40 by KZ250LTD.

More
11 Dec 2011 07:09 #492628 by Moshua
Thanks guys I have the maintenance manual from kawasaki came with the bike when purchased. I'd like to get this thing all put back together and see if I can get it started. Very helpful info thanks again. I should have some more updates coming soon as I piece it back together. I'm also going to learn to weld soon which will be most beneficial to this build specifically and my other various car builds.

More
10 Mar 2012 23:26 #508962 by Moshua
bump

Well its been quite a while since i touched the bike too many other projects and now a proud father of a beautiful baby girl, but coming tomorrow i'm going to start assembly of the bike again. I've been looking through all my parts and the one thing i have decided is that the tank just won't do, its too rusty on the outside and inside and the gas latch seems to be broken. What other tanks might be compatible with this one? Perhaps the kz400, kz750 tanks? I'm looking for something that might give me a bit more fuel capacity and won't be too hard to fit on the bike. If i remember correctly my kz400 had very similar mounting points on its tank and was a bit larger.

also i'm going to be heading away from the bright colored frame and do a darker frame and polish as much of the aluminum and chrome parts and do the tank and tail piece in a faux rust paint job.

similar to this

More
13 Mar 2012 23:06 #509499 by Moshua
Another update bump

I've been seeing too many bikes out lately so I started on the build up. Repainted frame and cleaned up a few bits. I'll mount the motor tomorrow and get a tire for front and rear this week. Pics
Attachments: