'81 650 Project

More
22 Mar 2013 10:54 #578123 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic '81 650 Project
remove the tank and drain it.
mix some soapy water in a spray bottle.
wrap a rag around a air blow gun and stick the rag wrapped blow gun into the neck and blow air into the tank and spray the underside with the soapy water and watch for bubbles.

that should tell you where your leak is.

hth,
leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 11:21 #578127 by SlowRide
Replied by SlowRide on topic '81 650 Project
What car is that in the backround? Supra?

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 13:57 - 23 Mar 2013 14:46 #578153 by ShouterVW
Replied by ShouterVW on topic '81 650 Project

SlowRide wrote: What car is that in the backround? Supra?

Yes, 1987 Supra. My other project

Before tear down
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 14:46 by ShouterVW.

More
22 Mar 2013 14:51 - 22 Mar 2013 14:53 #578164 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic '81 650 Project

I have another question. With the drag bars, I cannot use the original turn signals, where could I find a set that maybe attaches to the forks, or the frame?

You could install the turn signals at the headlight bucket by getting some stems & installing them in place of the big headlight bolts. If you do it that way, you can replace the small grounding ring w a 10mm ring terminal from the auto parts store. KZ400 & Honda CB stems are a couple of options. Z1Enterprises has a few KZ stems.

I've seen turn signal fork brackets on ebbaayy... not sure what turn signals to use w those. The CSR's upper tubes are 36mm.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 14:53 by martin_csr.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 16:01 - 22 Mar 2013 16:53 #578180 by ShouterVW
I will have to look. Stupid idea to have the turn signals mounted to the handlebars...

There are a lot of choices of turn signals on the dime city cycles website. But I need to figure out a place to mount them. Maybe a frame mount somewhere
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 16:53 by ShouterVW.

More
22 Mar 2013 17:13 - 28 Jul 2013 11:28 #578188 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic '81 650 Project
There are probably many ways to relocate the turn signals.
Here are some fork brackets.
[ebbaayy]360613435562[ebbaayy]

Something I just saw today from doing a search for Turn Signal Brackets.
[ebbaayy]360503974556[/ebbaayy]

I used aftermarket KZ stems from Z1Enterprises.... very easy.
I ditched the handlebar brackets but kept the stock turn signals & wiring.
The stems were a direct swap w the headlight bolts.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 11:28 by martin_csr.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 18:01 #578199 by ShouterVW
Awesome thank you! It's always informative when you chime in.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 18:19 #578202 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic '81 650 Project
Nice project, what happened to the ltd handlebars? mine are still on there, when I set them on a flat patch of pavement they are way out of alignment (good base for pushups if you get tense). it is good to keep them in case the other ones get uncomfortable. They also help with the brakes from what I have noticed anything else isn't level. just a little insight for your consideration.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2013 18:27 #578204 by ShouterVW
I still have the things. I just find them uncomfortable and horribly ugly. I'm 6'4" so the lower handlebars make riding the bike much more comfortable.

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Mar 2013 22:45 #579176 by ShouterVW
Okay I got the carbs reassembled. Checked and adjusted the float height, and threw them back on. It was pretty nice today, so I fired it up. It's finally running on all 4, but I am having some of the same issues as before. When I crack the throttle from a load, like I am leaving a Stop sign, not on the throttle much, but trying to accelerate to 20 mph say, it bogs down and wants to die, I have to pump the throttle to keep it alive. Will doing a full vacuum sync solve a problem like this?

It just occurred to me, since there are no '81 specific carburetor kits, I bought 1978 kits from carbkitcapital.com . All the seals and gaskets were the same, but are the jets different? What are the jet sizes on a 78? The original '81 jets are 92.5 main and 15 pilot. Could this be the root of my issues? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Mar 2013 00:24 #579197 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic '81 650 Project

ShouterVW wrote: So I am guessing that I have too much play in the lever as seen in my video?

I do plan on getting a set of drag bars when money starts rolling in. Either those or the superbike bars as mentioned.

Does the lever feel firm or is it spongy?
How much meat do the pads have on them,have you tried bleeding brakes some more to see if it helps? :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Mar 2013 00:36 #579198 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic '81 650 Project

ShouterVW wrote: Okay I got the carbs reassembled. Checked and adjusted the float height, and threw them back on. It was pretty nice today, so I fired it up. It's finally running on all 4, but I am having some of the same issues as before. When I crack the throttle from a load, like I am leaving a Stop sign, not on the throttle much, but trying to accelerate to 20 mph say, it bogs down and wants to die, I have to pump the throttle to keep it alive. Will doing a full vacuum sync solve a problem like this?

It just occurred to me, since there are no '81 specific carburetor kits, I bought 1978 kits from carbkitcapital.com . All the seals and gaskets were the same, but are the jets different? What are the jet sizes on a 78? The original '81 jets are 92.5 main and 15 pilot. Could this be the root of my issues? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks

Did you do a mechanical synch on the carbs when you reassembled them?
When you separate the bodies like that to clean them you definitely should do a mechanical synch to get the slides all on same sheet of music,then do a vacuam synch once its running to fine tune everything. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.