Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR

• ModularLettuce
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2011 02:41 #443380 by ModularLettuce
Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR was created by ModularLettuce
Howdy,
Never ridden a bike before, but it looks like a load of fun, so let's have at 'er!
My friend's dad had an old 400? cc KZ kicking around his barn that I always liked the look of, but unfortunately it had no papers to go with it, so I bought my own.. it's a 78 KZ650SR. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it looks pretty cool..

Here's some pictures I took before work..

What do you guys think? Decent starting bike?

Jared

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2011 06:53 #443383 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
Love is grand...then it becomes an obsession...then you turn into some sort of mutant Kawasaki monster...welcome to KZR

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
08 Apr 2011 08:23 #443386 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR

ModularLettuce wrote: Howdy,
Never ridden a bike before, but it looks like a load of fun, so let's have at 'er!
My friend's dad had an old 400? cc KZ kicking around his barn that I always liked the look of, but unfortunately it had no papers to go with it, so I bought my own.. it's a 78 KZ650SR. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it looks pretty cool..

Here's some pictures I took before work..

What do you guys think? Decent starting bike?

Jared

Hello, Modularlettuce, and WELCOME to KZr! :) :cheer:
The bike of choice for many veteran riders.
Gonna' need some parts, such as carbs and points cover.
Best advice right now for a young man new to bikes -- take a motorcycle riding course. B)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Apr 2011 10:49 #443397 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
I totally agree on the Riders Course. When I got my first bike I had been riding dirt bikes for years and was scheduled for the course since I had to have it to ride on base. I figured what the hell I'm going to ride anyway. Right up until a car ran a stop sign and my rear wheel hit sand resulting in a high side. I learned a lot in that class that would've come in handy in that situation. Now here in FL a riders course is mandatory. If you don't pass the class you don't get your motorcycle endorsement. It's a lot different than the take the written test get your permit we'll see you in 3 or 4 months if you survive to take your riding test days. Not to mention that with most classes you just take your certificate to the DMV and have the endorsement added to your license. Oh and a 650 is a great bike for a first bike.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
08 Apr 2011 11:57 - 12 Feb 2013 12:30 #443399 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 12:30 by martin_csr.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
08 Apr 2011 13:00 #443403 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
Welcome to KZR! Those pipes are cool!

I'll second, third or whatever the suggestion to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. It's well worth the weekend, and I actually enjoyed my course. I had a good instructor.

Might want to add a pair of new tires to your to do list. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the tires look like they could be "vintage." Don't ride on old tires no matter how much tread they have left.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• ModularLettuce
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2011 17:47 #443686 by ModularLettuce
Replied by ModularLettuce on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
Got a chance to play around with the bike a little bit last night.. and thanks for the responses.

When I bought the bike the seller said that everything was 'in the box' ..and it is. I tricked a friend into helping me last night and got *most* of the electrical issues worked out. Except why the rectifier wiring goes up in a cloud of smoke when it's connected to the battery (charging?) side. :evil:

Through the carbs on and squirted some gas into the cylinders. Fired up first kick. YES!

Why all the hate on my tires? They're brand new! :P

I'll get back into this later tonight, I've got to pick up a new headlight and some hoseclamps before everything shuts down in the mighty city of Langley.

regards,
Jared

More
09 Apr 2011 18:10 #443688 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR

dejavoodo41 wrote: I totally agree on the Riders Course. When I got my first bike I had been riding dirt bikes for years and was scheduled for the course since I had to have it to ride on base. I figured what the hell I'm going to ride anyway. Right up until a car ran a stop sign and my rear wheel hit sand resulting in a high side. I learned a lot in that class that would've come in handy in that situation. Now here in FL a riders course is mandatory. If you don't pass the class you don't get your motorcycle endorsement. It's a lot different than the take the written test get your permit we'll see you in 3 or 4 months if you survive to take your riding test days. Not to mention that with most classes you just take your certificate to the DMV and have the endorsement added to your license. Oh and a 650 is a great bike for a first bike.

im glad that when i got my motorcycle endorsement back in 86 all we had to do was a written test and a run around the course in the back of the drivers license office.

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

• ModularLettuce
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jul 2011 07:15 #460604 by ModularLettuce
Replied by ModularLettuce on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
Bam. That was fun while it lasted. The 90* fitting blew out of the petcock when I was riding and I'm guessing the fuel hit the exhaust. I dropped the bike as soon as I could stop it and tried to put out my flaming pant legs. For what it's worth, there was an extinguisher nearby..

Want to thank you guys for all the help and info I got off these boards :)
Jared

More
02 Jul 2011 09:27 #460612 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR

ModularLettuce wrote: Bam. That was fun while it lasted. The 90* fitting blew out of the petcock when I was riding and I'm guessing the fuel hit the exhaust. I dropped the bike as soon as I could stop it and tried to put out my flaming pant legs. For what it's worth, there was an extinguisher nearby....

Glad you're okay! :cheer:

If it's any consolation, this particular situation wasn't covered in any of the rider's courses I've taken.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
02 Jul 2011 10:00 #460615 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
One of the worse flame paint jobs I have ever seen! :ohmy: :whistle:
Sorry about your ride. Glad you are ok.
Extinguishers are very undervalued things until they are needed. I have one in all vehicles.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
02 Jul 2011 10:23 #460620 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Hey guys. First bike '78 KZ650SR
are you going to get it working again?

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler