Freebyrd's 81 KZ1000 Build

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
13 Dec 2010 20:53 #416856 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
I believe that if you're using the stock KZ shocks, you will want to replicate the stock installed angle. Simple as that ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2010 06:50 #416885 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
porchev914 wrote:

I believe that if you're using the stock KZ shocks, you will want to replicate the stock installed angle. Simple as that ;)

I forget who's exact project it was but I started looking and seeing the Ohlin (sp?) shocks with the reservoir attached to it for the dual shock setup and really liked the look of those, and I would assume they perform much better than the KZ's stock shocks. Is this true? How much of an advantage would it be to use a newer shock like that? Any and all opinions welcome!

I do not plan to use the bike for a road course or course racing, but do like to ride aggressively when possible. I'm wondering if it would be worth the time and money to use an aftermarket shock setup. Thanks!

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
14 Dec 2010 07:18 #416890 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
The Ohlins would certainly be an improvement over the original pogo sticks. Pricey stuff however. I bet the project that you have in mind is royalratch's bike. Here's the link: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...=11&id=406129#406570

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
14 Dec 2010 15:24 #416948 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
The ohlies are nice, but u can get away with zrx shocks for less $$. if u dont like the zrx shocks u can get your mony back through ebay. check ebay or zrxoa.com for zrx shocks.
if u bought new ohlies they would be Valved and sprung for a particular bikes geometry.
As i mentioned above u should duplicate the stock shock geometry , no mater what it came off, or they will be toooo stiff or soft.
if u use the same top mount just put the bottom mount in a location that will duplicate the right angle. just keep in mind that the placement should be similar to the original donor, in relation to the axle as well, for the best ride quality.
play with the zrx shock length of 14" and an angle of about 54* measured from the top of the arm .
this will give u an idea of the ride height for the zrx shock.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
17 Dec 2010 07:52 #417397 by freebyrd24
What do you guys think about 80's CB900 Air assisted shocks? I have two pairs of them from a couple parts bikes I parted out. I don't think they are anything that great, but the thought had crossed my head. I think the technology of those is too old too. Probably worth it to get ZRX shocks?

Would the mono shock be worth it over the dual shocks? It would be a lot more work, but would it pay off that much more? I prefer the dual shocks, but just thinking out loud here...

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Dec 2010 06:44 #417554 by mark1122
freebyrd24 wrote:

What do you guys think about 80's CB900 Air assisted shocks? I have two pairs of them from a couple parts bikes I parted out. I don't think they are anything that great, but the thought had crossed my head. I think the technology of those is too old too. Probably worth it to get ZRX shocks?

Would the mono shock be worth it over the dual shocks? It would be a lot more work, but would it pay off that much more? I prefer the dual shocks, but just thinking out loud here...

as far as performance goes, i dont think u will be able to notice on the street. if u take it to the track , maybe. it would depend on your skill level. u would need a skill level to exhaust the limits of duals before a mono would help u.
i think the moding of a bike is all about personal aesthetic preferences. unless of course u need performance upgrades for the track.
if u can gain both at the same time thats great, but most of these alterations are about aesthetics.
keep in mind that if u improve the front and rear, u will not really feel a performance upgrade until u gusset the frame.
since u were reluctant to move the top shock mount, u may want to steer away from a mono. the mono involves a lot more frame work and cost if u need to farm the work out.
i have to farm my work out so i went dual shock to save money.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
19 Dec 2010 08:42 #417714 by freebyrd24
That is true Mark, I agree with that. I could tack things in place but I'd have to farm a bit of it out. I think I'll stick with the dual shock setup. Any opinions on those CB900 Air shocks I have? Worth it or are they just as bad as the KZ "pogo sticks" as someone called them? :laugh:

I didn't find any ZRX shocks yet, I'll keep my eyes open for them though. I don't have any real good motorcycle yards around here, so a lot of parts I need online.

Also, I was takinga look at Testrossa's thread on his build and say some of his bracing. My frame already has a lot of that bracing in it... Did they stiffen up the frames in the early 80's?

Thanks!

Sold:

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
19 Dec 2010 11:04 #417728 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
The factory frame bracing was evolutionary, and evolved with the factory's understanding of the importance of the suspension and frame components in going fast. I have no input about the CB shocks, I can only say the stockers I have were clapped out and only good for keeping the land fill company :)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Dec 2010 12:02 - 19 Dec 2010 12:06 #417736 by mark1122
freebyrd24 wrote:

That is true Mark, I agree with that. I could tack things in place but I'd have to farm a bit of it out. I think I'll stick with the dual shock setup. Any opinions on those CB900 Air shocks I have? Worth it or are they just as bad as the KZ "pogo sticks" as someone called them? :laugh:

I didn't find any ZRX shocks yet, I'll keep my eyes open for them though. I don't have any real good motorcycle yards around here, so a lot of parts I need online.

Also, I was takinga look at Testrossa's thread on his build and say some of his bracing. My frame already has a lot of that bracing in it... Did they stiffen up the frames in the early 80's?

Thanks!

lets see a pic of your frame. the kz1000's had poor frames. if u look at a kz650or later gpz frame u will see a lot more bracing around the neck and other areas.
i dont know anything about the shocks u have exept that they are over 20years old, and that doesnt bring quality to mind.
How long are they? eye to eye?
if you would like to add gussets to the frame i can send u some pics that will put u on track about what to think about. just say so bud.

does that swing arm have a side load thrust bearing? this is so u can torque the pivot bolt tight and it will not interfere with the swingarms pivot ability.it wont bind so to speek.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 19 Dec 2010 12:06 by mark1122.

More
19 Dec 2010 15:06 #417768 by freebyrd24
I'm not sure of the side load thrust bearing, how can I find out about that?

Here are some pics highlighting some of the frame bracing I see, probably just stock from the factory, as well as a better pic of the bike with suspension on it.

Mark, I'll take any and all pictures you have regarding bracing! I'd really appreciate that! Thanks! :woohoo:

Sold:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Dec 2010 15:47 #417785 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 1993 ZX-9 Parts Bike
killer looking rear rim and swingarm

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Dec 2010 17:56 #417808 by mark1122
freebyrd24 wrote:

I'm not sure of the side load thrust bearing, how can I find out about that?

Here are some pics highlighting some of the frame bracing I see, probably just stock from the factory, as well as a better pic of the bike with suspension on it.

Mark, I'll take any and all pictures you have regarding bracing! I'd really appreciate that! Thanks! :woohoo:

what is that frame , an 81ltd?? it looks like a gpz?
it is very well braced as is.

look carefully at the swingarm baring set up u should be able to tell if it will accept a side load.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)