trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2010 18:29 #389978 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
Well, it was worth a tri :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2010 14:56 #392200 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
HEY TRI , Its great to see that u are doing this little GPZ. Cool bikes for shure.B)
looking forward to following the build.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
19 Aug 2010 16:05 #392226 by 9am53
I agree, we are all so busy with the big bikes, but I really loved my little 550, they are bikes that deserve a good project thread.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Aug 2010 19:03 #392279 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
progress......

went to triple AAA where were members and they have a members only motor vehicles assist person...walked right in and was helped.......
When i got the bike i got a signed title/pink slip....i knew by the plates and the p.o that 2000 was the last year of tags........i guessed 300-400 in back fees...i feared 1000 or so......
Drum rolllllllllllllll..............450.00 not bad seeing as i got it for 100 with some work to do ,and it only has 25000 on the speedo...

have been bead blasting sections and waiting on a gas tank to surface....

(I NEED A 84-85 GAS TANK!!!!)any leads would be great...

So i am also waiting on new ,new,plastic bank card...my new one turned out to be demagnetized and bunk...

bike is really looking good.....next step is to find a donor tank and get it running(going to the junkyard to get lawnmower tanks this week)then is to go and buy 200.00-300.00 in primer and supplies so i can do a proper frame and parts restore...

then go back and pay 450 once it runs and be legal....

i really need a tank if anyone knows any leads please let me know

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2010 03:28 #400788 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
It rolls and stops now better...batttery this saturday and carbs...Z-1 ent for the filter and new ex rings.. i finally got the header repainted and cleaned up sunday and turns out it was pretty rusted through from sitting/driving around a few blocks from the pacific ocean for ten yrs....
i just sand blasted it anyways and flat blacked the header and satin blacked out the can...it looks funky but i will scavange another at some point
Front brakes are 90 perecnt better and today i bought a nice clean working condition rear caliper rather than rebuild my seized one...i get great pressure to the rear caliper banjo but it is blocked from there...anyone need a needs rebuild caliper??
Going through the carbs next,they move freely and were not oxidized like the outer bike was all of the inner stuff was like a bike should be but the ocean and fog did wonders for the outer bike......redid a lot of brackets and cases but i wanna hear it run and go for a short ride before i strip it and start the whole thing to repaint form empty frame up.... at this point Amy wants either a white body set or a greeny with eddie stirpes incorporated...

more this weekend...this bike is next at bat now that the MKII is riding so back on the bench she goes..

getting excited to have a lighter ripper to toss around!!
last one...wait till you see how much it changed it was knarly and left for dead...i am in love with this bike already... [/quote]

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
22 Sep 2010 03:35 #400790 by 9am53
do you know if your 550 calipers are the same as GPz1100 calipers from the same year?

Looking good btw, really makes me want a smaller bike for throwing around...although us big boys can toss around pretty much anything short of a goldwing.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2010 05:20 #400798 by trianglelaguna
boy i dont know but the wheels and tires and rotors will be the give away see if this link works.....

www.gpz550.com/gpz550/specs85.htm

the cool thing is that by the amount of crash and fixes ...scrathces on all sides tiny but under new parts...i think this one really did come from the old superbike school...the is a long slide mark inside the untouched bullet fairing and windsheild on the speedo front...screeeech...the bleeder nipple casting on the anti dive is cleanly 45ed from sliding at an upside down angle and the crash bars look like they were put to a grinder from all angles...:woohoo: but the bike kept getting rebuilt...so i think it may be a bit of history here too

see the pics at the lower page of this link...they had about 20 all the same and this one is a carbon copy down to the mopds and scrathes from track days....kinda cool if it could be on the road again too B)

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp...v%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
22 Sep 2010 05:38 #400801 by 9am53
I will measure the mounting bracket hole spacings and caliper piston diameter, if the one I need is the same as yours that you are throwing away you wanna deal? I can send you a rotor puller when I am done with it. lol

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Sep 2010 08:54 #400854 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
I vote for a pearl white paint job with black accents, all the superbike school decals on there and the engine blacked out :woohoo:
You've got the tools to clean her up nice and right. I know working on these bikes isn't normally your cup of tea, but you're slowly turning into a hybrid turd puncher :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2010 10:40 #400877 by trianglelaguna
i am enjoying working on em that is for sure ...it is just tough with my A.D.D to stay on task i end up spinning around and loose the wrench that is in my back pocket...but while searching i notice that the painters handle tucked in the corner would fit great in that busted push broom,cept the charger for the ryobi drill that's battery is running the radio in the beater civic,is in the trunk of the ford taurus which i then notice needs the windows cleaned....which reminds me i have the receipts for those unused copper fittings from my side job in the taurus glovebox...oh well it's lunch time wheres my phone i'll see when Amy's coming home...hey there's that wrench i was looking for...wheres my phone.....

i just read this to Amy to see if it fits...she told me that's about right...then went in the bedroom and brought me the 10mm end wrench she found while doing laundry the other day...So!!!!! there is that wrench!!!!!wheres my phone????

actually the idea of getting a kz1000j standard or a cop bike frame and motor and making a streetfighter becomes more appealing..but only after my six bikes are done .....i'm stripping the green 76 900 A4 to the frame soon and got a pile of goodies to (old school) and am painting the frame -restoring the motor with a 1045 kit i have stock cams ,a valve job , painting the body set 76 green refreshed and pinstripes stock again...this should go onto the bench by halloween and be a fast one ,as i don't wanna stall the primary bike in parts....

but see if i ever did try and morph some c-list new gear(Big Piston Fork from 2009 zx-6???)...then who would bitch about the but ugly bikes anymore...who would be here to scream foul...who be left for so many to hate....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2010 10:43 #400878 by trianglelaguna
i'll post a pic when i pull it off...it's yours i'll send it in a zip lock wrapped in a shirt...may get the bike on the bench next sat-sun...it's yours if it fits...let me know what else your missing cause my 1000j came with extra stuff and some of the j-model brackets and stuff were close....

9am53 wrote:

I will measure the mounting bracket hole spacings and caliper piston diameter, if the one I need is the same as yours that you are throwing away you wanna deal? I can send you a rotor puller when I am done with it. lol

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
22 Sep 2010 10:48 #400879 by 9am53
I will let you know, you da man