trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....

More
09 Aug 2010 18:39 #389743 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
Sunpro 7 color LED selection... In comparing to my hand held DVM.... spot on in voltage measurements....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2010 18:41 #389744 by PLUMMEN
thread jacker! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Aug 2010 19:01 #389754 by Old Man Rock
Tally whacker...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Aug 2010 22:24 - 09 Aug 2010 22:28 #389796 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
i asked for a pic of the nieghbors hotty....whats that stuff:blink:

pretty cool......that will help on long rides to know everything is functioning well......and on start up the next day from flogging it.....i always wonder when it hic ups if stuff is playing games...

(youtube)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 09 Aug 2010 22:28 by trianglelaguna.

More
10 Aug 2010 04:34 #389831 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2010 05:17 #389838 by Old Man Rock
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hell, I don't know why Craig looks so pissed in that image... Mary Ann.... Yummy! :woohoo:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
10 Aug 2010 05:51 #389843 by Old Man Rock
"pretty cool......that will help on long rides to know everything is functioning well......and on start up the next day from flogging it.....i always wonder when it hic ups if stuff is playing games..."....

Exactly Craig!... ;)

Here's a fine example of just that...
Let's say your on a ride and stop for lunch...After lunch, turn on your ignition key only, no engine start and you notice the volt meter displaying at battery voltage of 11.8Vdc...

Hmmm, that's not right should be higher especially after a run where I noticed it displaying 14 - 14.5Vdc.... You verify you didn't leave lights or something on during lunch hence power drain while non running...

Start the engine and one of two things can be witnessed...
1) Volt meter displays 14Vdc @ idle...
2) Volt meter displays 12Vdc only....

Knowing & understanding ohms law, what's the most likely problem....

Answer:
1) Charging system is obviously working due to 14V (+) measurement while engine running.... So either I have a bad/faulty/corroded ground somewhere off the battery (less likely but possible) or the battery isn't taking/holding a charge.

Ah, battery getting ready to take a dump on me.... Not holding a charge, possibly open cell, not shorted...

2) This one will be a little more tricky for battery/cells may be partially shorting holding the charging system down...

Now someone may come back and say well I have a short in my harness... Possibly but in that case, most likely would blow open a fuse...

Grab out a wrench/screw driver in your carry on tool kit.... remove all connections other than battery and volt meter... Whats the voltage measurement now!

Good/bad what ever... Disconnect to basic run only operations, charging back up/not what ever... Obviously this t-shoot could go on forever and is off the point here so I'll stop now.... :blush:

Conclusion:
That's right boys and girls... you now have a volt meter with you on your rides! carry a couple alligator clip jumpers on 2' conductors for testing! Whoa, what a concept!!!! :ohmy:

All in all.... Home run! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee...:woohoo:

Not to mention all those different purdy color choices...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
10 Aug 2010 08:51 #389889 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2010 16:16 - 10 Aug 2010 18:28 #389952 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
well i went and bought a real compressor with a 20 gal tank and 155 psi...a spray gun set and all the regulators and tools to maintain it,a media blaster and three bags of play sand and a gal of 70 grit aluminum oxide(the beach sand here is softer/finer and i will be using it instead in hindsight) and a bunch of sanding disks and supplies to begin.....

I am now waiting on a paints list from a friend and then I am gonna do the gpz 550's frame motor and rims while i wait on a e-bay gas tank to surface...may even do the fairings and body ,but maybe need to do all at once to ensure exact match with the body color.....

Amy today ,after seeing the bikes progress and change in condition said"that's my bike" so that is cool....she will learn on that one...and i think it will be a safe and great bike for her to learn on ...top notch imo..

I am doing it kawasaki early racing green and the rims will be old school goldish bronze......see pic below for colors i'm shooting for...maybe some small black pinstripes in a few spots and the old school kerker white decals on the fairing under the grips

this will also be the color i do my 1981 1000j in so the gpz will be good practice....and i want to buy enough paint to be able to match the big and little kawis

in two weekends I am building a pvc and plastic spray booth that can be broken down and stored like a tent.....with a door flap and tiny fan and side vent

the pic below is the colors i'm shooting for....i expect the paints to cost around five hundred...anything less and i will be ok too..

I will be using

1.)frame and wheels primer

2.)body primer(if different is needed self etching ect

3.)frame and motor blacks

4.)wheels gold

5.)body green

6.) clear coats

we'll see what this all runs...here we go i guess.......i'm ready and have 3 hr dvd i bought that is 5 stars reviewed on auto spraying and tips and tricks

tomorrow i'm sand blasting the bike and will show some pics..i did a few cases and a fork leg and i am happy with the results...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 10 Aug 2010 18:28 by trianglelaguna.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2010 16:23 #389953 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic trianglelagunas 550 build /project thread.....
Where/how are you sourcing the Kawi Green? I'm interested in doing a bike in similar colors in the future.

More
10 Aug 2010 16:48 #389956 by Patton
trianglelaguna wrote:

...am building a pvc and plastic spray booth that can be broken down and stored like a tent.....with a door flap and tiny fan and side vent....

If feasible, would consider double door flaps (help enter with least outside air intrusion), and two fans, one pushing inside air out the vent, and the other drawing air from outside into inside through a furnace filter.

Run fans a few minutes before entering, and keep them running while spraying.

Wear a mask.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2010 18:25 #389977 by trianglelaguna
DoubleDub wrote:

Where/how are you sourcing the Kawi Green? I'm interested in doing a bike in similar colors in the future.

if i reveal my paint help...then i have to track folks down and kill them...it goes against my pacifist nature but i will obey the painters law...not to kill man....not to eat meat...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife