78 Z1R Winter Project

More
24 Jun 2010 14:25 #377980 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic 78 Z1R Winter Project
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks guys!! :)

Josh, I didn't get the set from Z1E, it's a 225 piece kit I got off ebay for just over $50 shipped. It came with a lot of the fairing and bodywork hardware specific to the Z1-R. It was a great price and almost every size fastener came with 10% more than they listed. I went through my set when I got it and noticed that I was missing one bolt, it wasn't a big deal but I let them know anyway and I had 3 of them by the end of the week.

The only complaints I have are that some of the heads have smooth sides while others are ridged, and the instructions aren't great. The instructions weren't a big deal to me because the bike didn't have the original bolts in it so I was planning to use the parts diagrams for sizes anyway. Also I'm sure if I told them about the different heads they would fix it, but I know what stainless hardware costs, and they weren't making much money on it to begin with. Plus I don't think anyone will notice; although I'm sure at some point I'll be pulling each bolt out to polish off the little ridges, but I've got bigger things to concern myself with right now. :laugh:

Here's the ebay item if anyone's interested;

1978 Z1-R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Jun 2010 05:17 #378112 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 78 Z1R Winter Project
Sorry, Jake, I remember seeing that big pile of parts from Z1E, and I assumed that you got the bolts there. Anyway, that is too good of a deal to pass up. I doubt that anyone will notice if some of your bolts heads are knurled and some not. They will be too busy staring at their reflection in that fabulous paint. Hell for their prices, you should call them to see what they want for the turbo kit on the bike in the picture.:woohoo:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
25 Jun 2010 09:45 #378154 by JakeB
Don't be sorry, I wanted to mention that ebay item/seller on here for others to take advantage of anyway. You just reminded me and gave me a perfect segue as well! B)

I'm sure nobody will notice the bolt heads either, it's just one of those things that I will notice all the time and, at some point, will bother me enough to change it. Fortunately, I'm not at that point yet! :laugh:

When I said that the covers were not perfect, I meant they were far from it; I'm sure yours are already much nicer. There's a nick in the clutch cover that will probably take three hours to get out, but for now I am just going to leave them as-is. They look really good until you get about a foot away then you can see the bad spots. I'm sure when the annual no-motorcyle-action depression kicks in next winter I will put a proper shine on them, but for now riding season is ticking away and I've already wasted enough of it. :(

Thanks!

1978 Z1-R

• testarossa
  • User
More
25 Jun 2010 09:57 #378159 by testarossa
I hear you man. If the KZ were my only bike, then I would be haulin ass to get it done just the same. Unfortunately the to-do list on my ZX grows by the day.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
25 Jun 2010 10:09 #378166 by JakeB
I know what you mean with the to-do list, my car needs some work right now. I already have the parts, but it's all hands on deck with the bike until it's done.

The car can wait, I need to be riding yesterday! :woohoo:

1978 Z1-R

More
29 Jun 2010 23:38 #379157 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic 78 Z1R Winter Project
Okay, I don't know about anybody else around here...well, wait...yes, I do: WE are ALL jonesing for some updates!
:woohoo:
Also, I've decided that you'll be restoring my Z1R in the fall...you'll have it done by Christmas (the way YOU do things!) :lol:

Seriously: very impressive. I watch this thread with great anticipation.

-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
30 Jun 2010 10:10 #379217 by JakeB
Bad Kaw wrote:

Okay, I don't know about anybody else around here...well, wait...yes, I do: WE are ALL jonesing for some updates!
:woohoo:
Also, I've decided that you'll be restoring my Z1R in the fall...you'll have it done by Christmas (the way YOU do things!) :lol:

Seriously: very impressive. I watch this thread with great anticipation.

-KR

Hey thanks!

I realize that I haven't given you guys any updates recently, but don't think that it's due to a lack of progress. I have been spending every spare moment working on the bike so I don't have any time to spend posting. When I get it done I will put some time into wrapping up this thread. I have something in the works that I think you guys will really like.

I don't have any pictures for you now, but the frame is rolling and the engine is in. I just have to install a few more bits, clean the carbs, bleed brakes, etc. Still a lot of work to be done, but I think I will be able to finish in a few more days.

I probably won't get a chance to post pictures until next week, so be patient and I promise it will be worth the wait.

P.S. not sure where I'm going to fit the toolbox and air compressor in the dorm, but I can give it a shot! :laugh:

1978 Z1-R

More
24 Jul 2010 17:29 - 24 Jul 2010 17:32 #385350 by JakeB
I finally got my video posted on youtube, although they're still not giving me the song I want. :angry:

I don't have much time for a full update right now, but I'll give you a little bit. The bike was 'finished' on July 3rd at about 11:45 pm. :woohoo:

I am VERY happy with how it turned out, and I'm not afraid to ride it after all, just terrified to park it anywhere and leave it. I think I might be getting a little separation anxiety! :huh:

I took some photos of it today, but I don't have any time to post those now so I will leave you with this little video I made.

Hope you like it!

1978 Z1-R
Last edit: 24 Jul 2010 17:32 by JakeB.

More
25 Jul 2010 03:46 #385470 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic 78 Z1R Winter Project
cool video. the bike looks real good.nice job.

• testarossa
  • User
More
26 Jul 2010 05:46 #385855 by testarossa
Way to go Jake! I can't wait to see the pictures. Cool video. I'm jelous.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
26 Jul 2010 07:28 #385882 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 78 Z1R Winter Project
congrats on getting the bike done jake,good job.
can't wait to see pics from your avatar pic it turned out very nice tho.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
31 Jul 2010 07:00 #387201 by JakeB
I finally quite being lazy enough to upload some pictures to photobucket, and get them on here. Sorry about the wait guys.

It was actually really difficult to get decent pictures of the bike, these are from a second set I did because none of the first set turned out well at all.

This one is the same as my new avatar pic, just a lot bigger;

Slightly different angle;

I included this one just so you can see my brand new oem steering stem bolt, I'm very proud of that $16 bolt :laugh:

My engine, and my foot;

My tank, love that paint job! :woohoo:

To say the least I am EXTREMELY happy with the way it turn out. I get tons of compliments on it, and it's very satisfying to say, "yeah...I did that."

1978 Z1-R