Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Oct 2010 19:23 #404695 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
fantastic. B)
never had a vac petcock kz before,glad to hear u figured it out. B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
06 Oct 2010 20:01 #404707 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Allright now I need to know the best strategy to fine tune the carbs. Currently, I have 120 mains, 20 pilots, screws 1.5 turns out, needles clipped on the fourth slot. I suspect that I should be a little rich all the way around. Vacuum sync is good, valve clearances are good, and I'll set the timing with the light tomorrow.

So do I start from the bottom end, and adjust the screws first? Then get the pilots right followed by the needles? Finally, set the mains by doing throttle chop testing? Or do I start from the top and work my way down.

I'm guessing that you start from the bottom since the pilots affect the midrange at the transition and so on. I plan to only try one change at a time.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
06 Oct 2010 21:31 #404750 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Mine is a 1978 KZ1000 A2 with a vacuum petcock. Pretty sure it's stock that way. Stupid thing weeps a bit despite a rebuild kit.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
07 Oct 2010 06:48 #404816 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
i hate vacuum petcocks.
glad you found the gremlin.
i always jet and then adjust screws and needles.seems to get me where i am going anyways.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Oct 2010 07:19 #404820 by mark1122
since u will spend most of your time on the pilots, i would start there. unless 1 of the circuits is way off, then get it close first.
cruise at 3000 rpm,then 4000rpm, then 5000rpm, in 1st gear (1st is more sensitive). try to hold it there until u are neither accelerating nor decelerating (15 sec. ?). if the mix is off, it will feel like surge.if it is smooth u are golden
record your results. take a note pad with u and use it to describe how bad each rpm is and at which rpm it is good.u can go up at 500 rpm intervals as it gets better.u just want to find a range, so u know if the range gets smaller or larger as u make fuel changes.

now increase the fuel by adjusting the pilot screws about 1/2 turn.if the screws are on the head side of the slide, they will control fuel entry, if the screws are on the air bx side of the slides they control air flow.
now retest. if it is better or worse, u will know which way to go next. use 1/4 turn changes when u get close.
pay attention to the amount of change at each rpm and the way it feels dif. this is the way u will learn the dif between the FEEL of rich and lean.
keep adjusting to get it right.
i would suggest u place some tape on the grip, and mark off 1/4, 1/2, 1/3, and full throttle. its not needed for the pilot test but it will be needed later.
if u change the needle later, u can easily revisit this test after all u are done.
hope this helps. :)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 07:25 #404822 by testarossa
mark1122 wrote:

since u will spend most of your time on the pilots, i would start there. unless 1 of the circuits is way off, then get it close first.
cruise at 3000 rpm,then 4000rpm, then 5000rpm, in 1st gear (1st is more sensitive). try to hold it there until u are neither accelerating nor decelerating (15 sec. ?). if the mix is off, it will feel like surge.if it is smooth u are golden
record your results. take a note pad with u and use it to describe how bad each rpm is and at which rpm it is good.u can go up at 500 rpm intervals as it gets better.u just want to find a range, so u know if the range gets smaller or larger as u make fuel changes.

now increase the fuel by adjusting the pilot screws about 1/2 turn.if the screws are on the head side of the slide, they will control fuel entry, if the screws are on the air bx side of the slides they control air flow.
now retest. if it is better or worse, u will know which way to go next. use 1/4 turn changes when u get close.
pay attention to the amount of change at each rpm and the way it feels dif. this is the way u will learn the dif between the FEEL of rich and lean.
keep adjusting to get it right.
i would suggest u place some tape on the grip, and mark off 1/4, 1/2, 1/3, and full throttle. its not needed for the pilot test but it will be needed later.
if u change the needle later, u can easily revisit this test after all u are done.
hope this helps. :)

Excellent info as usual Mark. That's a lot to type with one finger. I'll give that a shot.

Are you stuck at home right now?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Oct 2010 07:29 - 07 Oct 2010 07:33 #404823 by mark1122
yes i'm still waiting to hear back from the surgeon.
i just got off the phone and there are no answers yet.:(

i think the most important part of this first test is to pay close attention ,and try to learn the dif between the feel of rich and lean, even if u have to over adjust to learn it. this will be very helpful.
have fun

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 07:33 by mark1122.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 07:32 #404826 by testarossa
So you are just sitting around with a broken wrist? Has it been stabilized?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Oct 2010 07:44 #404835 by mark1122
i have a partial cast. it is open on 1 side all the way down from my thumb towards the inner bend of my elbow.
surprisingly, it doesn't hurt much. :)
so i am trying to organize my music files right now.
my son has downloaded hundreds of songs. im trying to weed out all of the rap and crap, and make a list of my own. it take a long time since i have to listen to each song for a bit to know whether it deserves a spot on my list. then i will put it all to disks for my truck.
i like rock and new country.
i'm not a big fan of the new music, it seems to all have a portion of rap to it.:(

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 08:56 #404857 by testarossa
I'm glad they didn't leave you sitting there with a floppy wrist.

It's a shame that almost nobody records regular rock music these days. I have been forcing myself to listen to a new rock alternative station recently since it's either that or the 80's happy lite rock station at work. You kinda get used to the semi-rap songs. I should just buy an Ipod, but this damn old motorcycle consumes all my spending money these days. Not much of a new country fan myself, I like the old stuff better. My wife kills me with the new country, it's constant with her. I guess I just get burned out on the new stuff. As you can imagine, there are no shortage of country music stations in Houston.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Oct 2010 09:04 #404864 by mark1122
i used to hate country, still hate the old stuff. my kids started listening to the new country, and i kinda liked the odd song. then it just kinda grew on me.
it has a bit of rock like guitar sounds, and that must have been the catch for me ? u have to get used to the banjo's and stuff for sure. :laugh:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Oct 2010 09:06 #404865 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
testarossa wrote:

I'm glad they didn't leave you sitting there with a floppy wrist.

It's a shame that almost nobody records regular rock music these days. I have been forcing myself to listen to a new rock alternative station recently since it's either that or the 80's happy lite rock station at work. You kinda get used to the semi-rap songs. I should just buy an Ipod, but this damn old motorcycle consumes all my spending money these days. Not much of a new country fan myself, I like the old stuff better. My wife kills me with the new country, it's constant with her. I guess I just get burned out on the new stuff. As you can imagine, there are no shortage of country music stations in Houston.

just a walkin down the street,a rappin to the beat.
when who should i meet,just a beaten his meat? :blink:
damn, i could be a rapper too! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments: