Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

More
29 Sep 2010 03:03 #402637 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Ilike that tail light.looks very bright.Iam just about in the same place you are with my wiring.spent about 4 hours in the garage saturday only to get just the tail light brake light working.I looked into my wiring diagram and the wiring colors flipped on me right at the starter solenoid.swapped them around and voala it cranks. also my bike has some reserve lighting deal.finally figured that out.what did you come up with to provide a temp. gas supply?I am running for now just the stock ignition. checked it last night with plug out while cranking and I have a pretty decent spark.will be refering back to your install of the dyna in the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 07:31 - 29 Sep 2010 07:32 #402672 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Very cool. i like the flashing.
i've forgotten? did u post all of whats involved for that led conversion and flasher, in here somewhere?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 07:32 by mark1122.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Sep 2010 07:46 #402675 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
mark1122 wrote:

i've forgotten? did u post all of whats involved for that led conversion and flasher, in here somewhere?

Mark, I showed the physical mounting stuff, but not the wiring. It's really simple once you figure out which wires on the new taillight operate which functions. They didn't send a detailed wiring diagram since it had the connectors to plug into the R6 factory harness. I actually hardwired it into the original KZ taillight connector, so it plugs in just like a stocker.

Camaroguy, I will steal the gas tank off my son's go-kart for a temp. fuel source. He will be pissed off at me for it, but he can deal for a couple of days. That kid doesn't miss anything.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Sep 2010 08:03 #402677 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
nothing like getting closer to starting it up.....slow...then fast.....then it slows down again...then one day your close...like you are now...way to stay on it....time to boogie down soon....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 08:15 #402681 by mark1122
testarossa wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

Mark, I showed the physical mounting stuff, but not the wiring. It's really simple once you figure out which wires on the new taillight operate which functions. They didn't send a detailed wiring diagram since it had the connectors to plug into the R6 factory harness. I actually hardwired it into the original KZ taillight connector, so it plugs in just like a stocker.

so u bought a plug in led unit for the r6 lt?
did u need anything else to make it flash?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2010 08:30 #402686 by testarossa
mark1122 wrote:

so u bought a plug in led unit for the r6 lt?
did u need anything else to make it flash?[/quote]

No, the taillight included the sequential flaser unit. I actually seems to work with either a constant 12v input or with the pulsed input from the standard flasher can. I currently need the regular flasher to operate the front turn signals, so the taillight gets the pulsed 12v from the normal KZ wiring. It even keeps time with the front turn signals.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 10:20 #402699 by mark1122
I see.
It looks great. well done.B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2010 20:20 #402789 by testarossa
Well I finished wiring up the Dyna this afternoon. I couldn't really do a better job of describing how to do it than the instructions. The wiring is straightforward in my opinion. I did notice one thing confusing about the timing instructions, so I'll walk through that in case anyone else plans on installing this ignition.

First you remove the stock timing cover and all the components of the points ignition. Next you replace the stock rotor with the one that Dyna provides:

Then you install the Dyna crank trigger plate:

Leave the screws loose at this point so you can rotate the plate when timing the bike. Make sure to connect the four pin connector to the main harness for the ignition.

Next it instructs you to remove the spark plugs and rotate the engine until the trigger for cyls. 2 and three lights the LED on the control box. Then you rotate the plate until the the led is lit at the 40* mark. Now you tighten the three mounting screws and lock the timing in place.

I set my control box atop the clutch cover to see the LED while turning the engine.

With the timing correct for 2 and 3, you move on to adjusting the timing for 1 and 4. Here's where I was somewhat confused. It says to rotate the engine 180* to the same 40* mark for cylinders 1 and 4. You are then supposed to move that particular sensor to light the LED. I couldn't tell from the instructions, which sensor was for 1 and 4. I just tried one and of course it was wrong. Then I had to re-do 2 and 3. Now back to 1 and 4. The proper sensor to adjust is the left one that I pointed to in the next pic:

Now you just replace the timing cover and secure the wiring. The static timing is complete, and you should be able to start the bike.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2010 20:33 #402792 by testarossa
Now with the ignition finished, there's only one thing left to get it started. I needed to check the float levels on the carbs. I used the clear tube method, and it's a good thing. All four were set so that the fuel level was even with the flange. With floats adjusted, I should be able to install the carbs and hit the switch, but wait. I have fuel dripping from the overflow on #2. What, I just adjusted the float how could that be.

Well I stripped the float bowl off and discovered that the small brass overflow tube had a hairline crack that ran the length of the tube. So, in the interest of getting her started, I soldered the tube, and it seems to be holding for now. Not sure how it cracked or if it will hold, so I'll be looking for a float bowl and two of the chrome caps to fix the issues with this carb set.

Ok, so I install the carbs, air filters, and hook up the throttle linkage. Connect the go-kart gas tank, and say a little prayer.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2010 20:36 #402793 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Awesome! Feels great, doesn't it?

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
29 Sep 2010 21:34 #402801 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
:woohoo: WOOOOOHOOOOO! You even beat my time estimate by half a week. Now, I predict first ride this weekend ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
29 Sep 2010 22:16 #402808 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Awesome! Did u run it long enough to get dizzy from the fumes?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.