Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Jan 2011 08:22 #426745 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Thats AWESOME !!! Congrats Bud.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 08:26 #426746 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Now we just need the ride video! WTF! :laugh: Congrats!

More
29 Jan 2011 10:25 #426765 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Great! Now it's time for a photo shoot with a good camera and lighting.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Jan 2011 12:59 #426789 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Thanks fellas. I have to thank all of you for suggestions, inspiration, ass kickings, technical support, and whatever else that I am forgetting. This bike is really a collaboration of your collective assistance with this build.

Mark1122 was especially helpful with a lot of early decisions that have added up to being a good handling bike in my early estimation. Mark also has the uncanny ability to know just when to suggest the solution to the next hurdle. It's like he's done this before or something. Also, he has a certain red bike that I was lusting over, long before I was even a member on this site.

531blackbanshee, what can I say. Killer Z1-R inspiration, and excellent fabricating/machining ideas. Not to mention, an all around good guy to bs with on the computer.

Tony, thanks a million, billion, bazillon for the exhaust. I ran it with the stock baffle, and it seems so quite at idle, but when you hit the other side of 4500rpm and pour the coal to her, BAAWAAAAA! It does sound pretty cool. Oh yeah, you do have the coolest blue MKII ever. My paint isn't quite as dark, but I tried to emulate that luminous blue.

Patton, who hasn't Patton helped? Always delivers technical expertise with no condescension.

Old Man Rock, I had an orange crush for you bike before I ever became a member. I spent considerable time studying your info posted to this site before I ever turned a wrench on my bike. This was a big reason that my build worked out as well as it did. Anybody considering this type of project should spend at least six months studying before you start. I spent two years, mostly due to finances, but well worth it in any case.

To be continued...

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2011 14:02 - 29 Jan 2011 19:03 #426795 by testarossa
tk11b40 another super cool orange inspiration of a bike. This is another bike that I lusted over in my lurking days. Not to mention that I really like the paint on Ted's Ducati.

Porchev914, innovation, and camaraderie. His bike will be one of the coolest hybrids on this site when it's done. Adam is a really cool guy to bounce ideas off of. Even if the idea is far fetched, he's willing to consider it. Not many people are that open minded. Adam's help with the bodywork really did the trick. I already had read tons of info about painting, but it helps to talk with an actual person who has that experience.

Larrycavan, yet another inspirational bike. I love the fact that it has stock looking LTD bodywork on that cool, custom bike. Technical guru, nuff said.

PLUMMEN, another cool guy to bs with. Could build one of these bikes blindfolded. Not to mention, he likes to talk hot rods and hot boats. Right up my alley.

Nelson, I'm gonna build me a seat like your avatar some day. You better get busy if you want to have one before me.

DoubleDub, I studied your body work thread for a while. I just didn't retain the part about the blue tape. Oh well, I came out ok in the end. White stripes, DUH!

Drooz, super cool red bike. Not sure if he ever comes around much any more.

Irishwill, another super cool hybrid bike. Thanks for loaning me that top clamp even though it didn't fit my forks.

StreetfighterKZ I don't see him here very much, but he helped me out in the beginning.

Thane_420 yet another cool bike and it's a shame that he's not around much any more. I got a lot of ideas from his bike initially. Partially what led me to use GSXR parts.

JakeB where did you go with that awesome Z1R? Thanks for the early inspiration.

KZstreetfighter71, one cool bike that I never got to see finished, and a lot of projects that looked like they had real potential. Another guy that I don't see around much any more.

Trianglelaguna, thanks for keeping it real. The forum needs people who are willing to be honest. Sometimes, I feel like there is too much patting on the back. You are one funny dude, and you know how to take a picture of a bike. Your KZ900 looks soo good in your pictures, and I know that the paint isn't perfect. That California scenery doesn't hurt.

Last but not least, I need to thank my family. My wife Brandy has been very tolerant of my goofy projects all through our 11 year marriage. I screw around with old cars, boats, motorcycles, build kayaks, canoes, and generally drag dirt in, stink up the house with chemicals and cleaners. She tolerates it all. Not to mention, she puts up our kids while I'm trying to cut my fingers off with an angle grinder. Our kids are the joy in our lives, and the reason that I strive to be a better person.

If I didn't mention you, don't be offended. I probably forgot half the people who have contributed to this build. Truly every member of this forum plays some part because they make the forum possible. I read a lot of threads, and take ideas without commenting many times. KZR rules!

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jan 2011 19:03 by testarossa.

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
29 Jan 2011 14:05 #426796 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
well said!

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2011 14:05 #426797 by testarossa
BTW I did get the bike inspected today. No problemo. The inspection kid got a smile when he was checking the rear lights. I know he was looking around for blinkers when he noticed the integrated taillight. Got a little grin and nod on that one. He says, that bike looks pretty good for a 1978. If only he knew.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2011 14:10 #426799 by testarossa
Supersize the image to check out my chicken strips. I haven't quite got to the edge, but not too bad so far. Not sure if I ever will on the right side. I have scraped the header collector on the bottom outside a couple of times. That's about as far as I can lean into a right turn with this exhaust.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jan 2011 14:16 #426801 by testarossa
See I'm already remembering people that I meant to thank.
Tdub is another cool guy with a bike that kept me inspired in the early stages. Hasn't been around a lot lately since he's been off in Germany learning to be an engineer or something silly like that. :laugh: I know you are gonna get that 810 moving soon, aren't you Tyler?

Can't wait for spring. No way to take a glamor shot around here right now. Everything is brown. And the onboard video might have to wait a little while until I can get one of those GoPro cameras or something.

I didn't quite get to that little Michelin Man, did I?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2011 14:31 #426803 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
A classy bike for an equally classy dude. Nicely done my friend.

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
29 Jan 2011 16:41 #426844 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
at least the michelin man will live to fight another day!:laugh:
awesome speach and a good pay back to every member to remind them what this site is about.
cool people building cool bikes,
good job josh.
i hope your goals for it's first build :P were realized!

bike looks kick freakin a$$!

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
29 Jan 2011 17:24 #426867 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
super awesome! makes me more inspired to get busy on mine.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.