Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
18 Jan 2011 15:59 #423348 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Lets get a better look at those stripes:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
18 Jan 2011 16:11 #423353 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
wow man, that looks great. good job. whens the cap comming?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
18 Jan 2011 16:18 #423355 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Very good job Josh. Is that as sprayed, or have you even touched it with sandpaper and a buffer yet?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jan 2011 16:41 #423367 by testarossa
kz1k wrote:

When you send me $43. :laugh:
Just kidding. It may have to wait a week or two. I just got done putting tires on the Maxima, Christmas, then my sons birthday, my wife's birthday is in two weeks, and now I need tires on the truck. I'm bleeding money right now.

Adam, the tank and tail are fresh paint that I haven't even touched. The sidecovers have been colorsanded and buffed from my previous attempt at clearcoat. I didn't even get much orange peel, and there are only two very minor runs that will be easily fixed. I will need to colorsand since there are a few dust nibs. Much happier with my clear this time.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • User
More
18 Jan 2011 16:48 #423370 by porchev914
Excellent then. The best paint job is the one that requires the least amount of cutting before buffing B)

FRANKEN Z!

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
18 Jan 2011 17:07 #423376 by kz1k
testarossa wrote:

kz1k wrote:

Just kidding. It may have to wait a week or two. I just got done putting tires on the Maxima, Christmas, then my sons birthday, my wife's birthday is in two weeks, and now I need tires on the truck. I'm bleeding money right now.

Adam, the tank and tail are fresh paint that I haven't even touched. The sidecovers have been colorsanded and buffed from my previous attempt at clearcoat. I didn't even get much orange peel, and there are only two very minor runs that will be easily fixed. I will need to colorsand since there are a few dust nibs. Much happier with my clear this time.

if it looks that good with just the paint.....:woohoo:. please be careful. a buddy of mine sprayed his race car...came out tits. then he buffed through the clear coat. spelled disaster. you have a lot less surface area, but still. talk about a diamond in the rough!:lol:

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

More
18 Jan 2011 17:27 #423383 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Man that looks good... Starting to re-evaluate my color choices, hmmmm.

Now I got one more "expert" to ask for paint advice :lol:

Great work!

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• porchev914
  • User
More
18 Jan 2011 18:05 #423393 by porchev914
kz1k wrote:

testarossa wrote:

kz1k wrote:

if it looks that good with just the paint.....:woohoo:. please be careful. a buddy of mine sprayed his race car...came out tits. then he buffed through the clear coat. spelled disaster. you have a lot less surface area, but still. talk about a diamond in the rough!:lol:

Your buddy either didn't have enough film thickness, or he didn't know how to use his buffer and burned through. Either way, it was operator/painter error. Josh already suffered his through his initial learining curve. I don't expect there to be any problems this go around. Unless you didn't keep your gun parallel and your tip distance constant all the way down to the bottom of the tank......if not, well, what Joe said :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
18 Jan 2011 18:07 - 18 Jan 2011 18:12 #423395 by kz1k
porchev914 wrote:

kz1k wrote:

testarossa wrote:

kz1k wrote:

Your buddy either didn't have enough film thickness, or he didn't know how to use his buffer and burned through. Either way, it was operator/painter error. Josh already suffered his through his initial learining curve. I don't expect there to be any problems this go around. Unless you didn't keep your gun parallel and your tip distance constant all the way down to the bottom of the tank......if not, well, what Joe said :laugh:

he said when he used the adjustable buffer, like a jackass he hit the speed control while he was buffing and it went right through the clear. nobodys perfect...well maybe...a 3500 lb car is a lil tougher than a cycle tank.

either way, youve come too far to make a careless mistake. it looks great....keep it that way by using your head. im sure youll do a great job!:)

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 18 Jan 2011 18:12 by kz1k.

• porchev914
  • User
More
18 Jan 2011 18:30 #423405 by porchev914
Paint is paint, whether its on 1" thick steel or .050" plastic sidecovers. I've burned through more than my fair share of paint jobs, and I passed on a few pointers to Josh to minimize potential hazard spots. He'll be OK. Don't make me look like a fool for propping you up Josh :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jan 2011 19:38 #423421 by testarossa
There shouldn't be any issues. The only run in the tank is on the seam at the bottom. Just a tiny drip that I can cut off with a razor. I'll just need to hit the dust nibs in the top of the tank. I never even need to get close to the edges. On the tail is a more significant run on the back edge just above the taillight. I'm certain that I can get that without too much trouble. There is five coats of clear on everything. That's 6mils thick. I also got a buffing kit that has 3" diameter velro backed pads. It's awesome for working on smaller pieces, and used in a variable speed drill you can adjust your speed on the fly.

And Joe, as Adam said. I already went through that burning through the clearcoat routine. Only I did it with my sandpaper. We ain't going there again.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
18 Jan 2011 21:24 #423450 by RedlineJunkie
Replied by RedlineJunkie on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
I love that color and stripe scheme! Well done. B)