Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Oct 2010 04:17 #406093 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Leon you're right. You have to remove the subframe connectors to get the exhaust out, so that you can get the powertrain connector out, so you can get the driveshaft out etc, etc, etc. I already have the bellhousing bolts out, and still can't get the tranny out since I left the link pipe from the header to the catalityc converter in. :angry:

TexasKZ, I would be tempted to do that to the car if it were mine, but mama wouldn't have it. Actually I would probably turbo it first, but an LS1 would sure sound cool in that little car.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Oct 2010 07:19 #406111 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
testarossa wrote:

jus1975 wrote:

i wish i would have saw this before you started on that tank. you should not start at the center but at the outside edges then work your way inward. it works out better and less repair afterwards

That's a good tip. It's no matter, the remainder of the dent will be corrected with filler. I just didn't want filler that was 1/4" deep. I'll keep that one in mind for the next time I pull a dent.

Mark, the screws were at 1 1/4 turns out from seated. I have the screws that are on the engine side of the carb. I suspect that this will change with the smaller jets. I doubt that I can fool with it today. I'm committed to catching up on car maintenance. Oil changes all around, and sadly the Miata needs a throwout bearing.

if u had the fuel screws at 1 1/4 turn , they may be ok. if u think it is still rich at 1 1/4, just turn them in more. u dont change the jet unless u run out of screw travel, or close to it.
i would drop the needle before a pilot change too, just to see if it helps. the needle will overlap the top end of the pilot circuit.
good luck.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Oct 2010 07:28 #406113 by testarossa
mark1122 wrote:

testarossa wrote:

jus1975 wrote:

i wish i would have saw this before you started on that tank. you should not start at the center but at the outside edges then work your way inward. it works out better and less repair afterwards

That's a good tip. It's no matter, the remainder of the dent will be corrected with filler. I just didn't want filler that was 1/4" deep. I'll keep that one in mind for the next time I pull a dent.

Mark, the screws were at 1 1/4 turns out from seated. I have the screws that are on the engine side of the carb. I suspect that this will change with the smaller jets. I doubt that I can fool with it today. I'm committed to catching up on car maintenance. Oil changes all around, and sadly the Miata needs a throwout bearing.

if u had the fuel screws at 1 1/4 turn , they may be ok. if u think it is still rich at 1 1/4, just turn them in more. u dont change the jet unless u run out of screw travel, or close to it.
i would drop the needle before a pilot change too, just to see if it helps. the needle will overlap the top end of the pilot circuit.
good luck.

I guess that I will learn this one the hard way. I already changed the pilots. I'll try with the 17.5s since they are already in there. I'll know about the pilots right away if I have to set the screws at 3 turns out. It's going to be tough to find the time for testing in the next two weeks.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
12 Oct 2010 07:53 #406116 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Your bike looks great, nice job! :)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Oct 2010 07:53 #406117 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
sounds good in the clip...i like the dirt bike bars and stock looking guage location...and the painted stripe too.....cool.........closaaaaa

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
12 Oct 2010 19:43 #406256 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
That is too cool I just watched the video....

NICE WORK!!

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

More
12 Oct 2010 19:48 #406258 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
I have more questions??

How do you plan on adapting the old KZ speedo to the new front tire/wheel combination?

Can you adapt? I think one of the styling highlights of the KZ is the gage pack. If you can just adapt somehow, then it would mean I can use the old style gages on the KZ I am building.

They are like a signature of the KZ, I really want to use them.

your thread is very detailed and informative Thank you for sharing!!

???

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Oct 2010 20:32 #406268 by testarossa
tk11b40 wrote:

I have more questions??

How do you plan on adapting the old KZ speedo to the new front tire/wheel combination?

Can you adapt? I think one of the styling highlights of the KZ is the gage pack. If you can just adapt somehow, then it would mean I can use the old style gages on the KZ I am building.

They are like a signature of the KZ, I really want to use them.

your thread is very detailed and informative Thank you for sharing!!

???

I fully agree about the gauges. I'm working on that one at the moment. You know I'll post any info that I discover. Lord knows that I scratched my head long enough to figure out how to mount the gauges to the GSXR top clamp. I have to at least try and make them work. I should have kept the GSXR dashboard. I bet that I could have hidden the guts of the Suzuki speedo behind the KZ gauge face and made something work. Hmmmm....

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
12 Oct 2010 20:49 #406275 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
maybe buy a little GPS unit and stick it inside the KZ guage housing.. ? frame it with a little CF plate. just brainstorming. or a bicycle speedo?:huh:

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Oct 2010 19:56 #406502 by testarossa
Excellent suggestion Nelson. I have a spare bike speedo that I could use in a pinch.

I actually started a discussion about this subject here: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=4&id=405926

Feel free to chime in there with any more suggestions. I'm all ears at this point. No idea is too crazy.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2010 18:24 #407871 by testarossa
A small update since I actually got a little time to work on the bike today. I got the shifter actually connected to the DIY rearsets this evening. Kinda tricky to route the connecting rod without hitting the side stand.

Well I found the idiot light cover that fell off when I was lapping the subdivision. Unfortunately I found it on top of the head. :angry:

After I experimented a little with the 17.5 pilots, I have discovered that the 20s were right in the first place. I can't even get the bike to idle without being on the choke with the 17.5s in place. I tried everything from 1 to 3 turns out on the pilot screws. Mark was right, as usual. Maybe, I'll have time to correct it on Friday.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
20 Oct 2010 22:01 - 21 Oct 2010 06:34 #407902 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
That sucks about the indicator lamp cover. I don't think it will be to difficult to find a replacement. Mine was gone when I bought the bike..along with smashed gauges. I think I spent $50 on a replacement gauge cluster including the indicator lamp assembly off ebay. Just getting the cover should be cheap and easy. Good luck on the jetting, I'm suprised you need to vary much from the stock baseline with a stock engine. I wanna work on my bike, but a buddy invited me to a moto track and I haven't ridden since I had my ACL surgury. I think I need a little adrenaline to boost my bike building drive :P

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 06:34 by porchev914.