Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 05 May 2010 20:20 #365835

• irishwill
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
they bolt on....and the holes are eccentric so if you mount them one way it will move the bars closer to the rider than the opposite way.

Leon...I am going to make a few more stems for the three sets of the new clamps....on a cnc...so I could rattle you one off...if you have the time to wait....wont be much seeing as you already bought the other stuff....just what it costs me plus shipping...
I also have a set of lowered gsxr 1000 forks here if ya need em...haha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 16 May 2010 21:29 #368439

• nedrowjoe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
81 csr 1000 bone stock with k and n oval pod filters, the bike had been went through five or six years ago by a local shop with the filters and jetting, i am not confident with carburation yet, running right now the plugs seem to be rich, if i put a v and h 4 to 1 megaphone on, i will increase flow (how much hp?) so i will lean out the engine somewhat, is it safe to just run it and check the plugs to tell if i need jetting or is that much of a difference that i will definatley have to change jets.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 04:08 #368457

• testarossa
  • testarossa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
I wish that I could help, but I'm not really a carb expert yet. I never even had my CSR running. I would guess that if you are still on stock jets, then you should be lean with the 4 into 1 and pods. I bet that if you post your question in the carburetor section, then someone would be happy to help. Also, you can just call Z1 Enterprises. Their sales staff is very knowledgeable, and recommended jet sizes to me for my carbs. Their price on the jets is super cheap, and if the jets are all that you order, then they stick them in a priorty mail envelope. Usually in your mailbox in 3 days.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 05:09 #368462

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
nedrowjoe wrote:

81 csr 1000 bone stock with k and n oval pod filters, the bike had been went through five or six years ago by a local shop with the filters and jetting, i am not confident with carburation yet, running right now the plugs seem to be rich, if i put a v and h 4 to 1 megaphone on, i will increase flow (how much hp?) so i will lean out the engine somewhat, is it safe to just run it and check the plugs to tell if i need jetting or is that much of a difference that i will definatley have to change jets.

It's safe to put the pipe on and run the bike. Nothing to worry about in that regard. If it's way lean, it will stumble and fall all over itself. If it's on the fringe, it may surge.

If it surges,lift the needles one clip position.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 05:14 #368463

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
531blackbanshee wrote:

hey testarossa here is a couple pics of one of the upper triples that ben is talkin about i have busa legs and a gsxr 1000 lower on these.hth,
leon

See the big round adjusters on the top of the forks?

When you setup the bike, turn them equally all the way down until you have 1 line showing. As they are now, the front will be too soft.

Set the damping adjusters to OEM delivered settings. You'll be right in the ballpark ;)

I got some time to work on my front suspension tuning this weekend. Amazing is all I can say about how the bike handles now. Feels like a Ninja!

Last edit: by larrycavan.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 08:29 #368503

• testarossa
  • testarossa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
Larry, what front end are you running on your bike? I figured that I would need to crank my preload adjusters way down. I think that the KZ has about 150lbs over what the GSXR weighs. I hope that I can adjust enough with just the preload settings. I would rather not have to replace those springs just yet.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 10:45 #368525

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
'96 ZX 7 ;)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 14:13 #368558

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
larrycavan wrote:

When you setup the bike, turn them equally all the way down until you have 1 line showing. As they are now, the front will be too soft.

Set the damping adjusters to OEM delivered settings. You'll be right in the ballpark ;)

I got some time to work on my front suspension tuning this weekend. Amazing is all I can say about how the bike handles now. Feels like a Ninja!

Make sure u test the brakes hard, on the front end. if the front wheel locks up easy and skids, u need more preload. the forks need to dive just enough to transfer weight to the front wheel for strong braking.

i almost got run over buy skidding into the next lane,INTO oncomming trafic, at a curve entry.:woohoo:
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 14:29 #368562

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
Pearls of wisdom from the giants before us B)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 18:14 #368613

• nedrowjoe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
awesome i'll give her a try at runnin, i'm betting i'll end up jetting it, when u say needle position, I'm guessing that is their are four needles?, or just one, i'm used to toying with single cylinder two stroke dirtbikes, i know its a world of difference, I am very lucky in that if i call z1 enterprises by two thirty, i'll have my stuff the next day, i only live like 45 mins from them, B), do you know how much hp i will gain, just wanna say my stock kz with 93 hp has over 100 hp

Last edit: by nedrowjoe.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 18:55 #368633

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
testarossa wrote:

Larry, what front end are you running on your bike? I figured that I would need to crank my preload adjusters way down. I think that the KZ has about 150lbs over what the GSXR weighs. I hope that I can adjust enough with just the preload settings. I would rather not have to replace those springs just yet.

1996 ZX7R is what I have. On some year zx7's the adjusters are preload, on other years they are ride height. Mine happened to be the ride height adjusters. Worked like a charm when I cranked them down.

A couple of times my header hit the road in bumpy corners and needless to say, I didn't like that feeling :ohmy:

The adjusters were setup with 6 lines showing. I cranked them down to 1 showing.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up on. Looks like you've got a ton of adjustment to work with :)

Last edit: by larrycavan.

Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build 17 May 2010 19:00 #368636

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
mark1122 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Make sure u test the brakes hard, on the front end. if the front wheel locks up easy and skids, u need more preload. the forks need to dive just enough to transfer weight to the front wheel for strong braking.

i almost got run over buy skidding into the next lane,INTO oncomming trafic, at a curve entry.:woohoo:

:woohoo: I'm happy to report that I didn't experience that thrill Mark...... I'll just bet your heart beat was hitting redline about that time :laugh: