begining of my 650 build

More
26 Oct 2009 08:48 #329718 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic begining of my 650 build
Yeah I'm keeping my eye on this one. I had the lower motor pretty much together when I was trying it. I sure hope it works.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
26 Oct 2009 09:01 #329723 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic begining of my 650 build
Mark Wing wrote:

Yeah I'm keeping my eye on this one. I had the lower motor pretty much together when I was trying it. I sure hope it works.

Mark

Well my cases are empty, and some gasket surfaces have already been scrapped (not using a gasket for mock up) and the starter clutch and its saft are out... but it works so far with the cases snugged up pretty well.

I am going to go ahead and buy another gear set (hopefully from a more honest seller!) I am also going to try and swap all the parts from the 600 trans to the 650 input shaft and see it it will work (I had the 2nd gears swapped just to check shaft diameter, and year the diameter seems to be the same.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
26 Oct 2009 09:49 #329727 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic begining of my 650 build
I was thinking of pressing the gears on to the 650 shafts too, mainly to keep the 650 clutch instead of using the 550's. I had pretty much given up on a 6 speed but this gives me hope, good luck.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Oct 2009 09:53 #329729 by hardr0ck68
I was reading the other day and found a thread on a busa forum that mentions the kz650 and busa clutch plates can be interchanged.

I am now wonering if there is a slipper clutch off of a newer bike that can be fitted. I doubt any clutch basket mods will be drop in.... but it is intresting to think about.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:31 #337997 by hardr0ck68
FINALLY

I got my crank from e-bay. Unfortunately it will have to sit for about another week as x-mas shopping has whipped out my checking account.

I have decided to run the zx600 clutch, and primary shaft gear. The parts are smaller and lighter, that was the final decider... why lighten the crank and not address other peices that can be easily swapped?

I picked up a motor, a kz750 that is dirty as hell but clean on the inside. Everything I have pulled from this motor looks new. I am not sure if I will use this head or the GPZ head. This one is solid other than a broken stud boss, maybe just clean it up and run it until I get around to doing the top end properly.

If anyone wants the lower end to this new motor let me know. I will literally give it away.

Next is the clutch cover off of a zr7-s I think if I fit the clutch pull pin from a zx600 cover I can do away with the clutch rod. Not really a performance upgrade but trick none the less.

My snap-on stud puller finally showed, it ruins the studs it pulls (cause I bought the wrong size, it only engages on the threads of the studs) but it is not a problem because I will be replacing the studs with APE ones. Now need to pull the studs on the 650 cases, finish with the masking tape and them blast them!!

Ok, time for the Pictures!!!!

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:32 #337998 by hardr0ck68
Carbon in the new head

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:33 #337999 by hardr0ck68
broken stud boss

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:34 #338000 by hardr0ck68
The boss is getting angry with the slow pace!

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:35 #338001 by hardr0ck68
750 bottom end that is in my way! Some one take it please!!

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2009 19:37 - 12 Dec 2009 09:39 #338002 by hardr0ck68
zr7-s clutch cover, looks good huh?

sorry, that is a gpz clutch cover, the zr7-s clutch cover is under one of my benches. I will be using the zr7-s cover if I can make it work with the zx600 clutch.

BTW I sent the my connecting rods back into Carillo today. They will spec. them and make me aware of any problems. I am half hoping they say the rods are buggered so I can justify ordering custom rods from them. I would go +2mm on the little end to accommodate kz1000 piston pins (and pistons ;) )

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2009 09:39 by hardr0ck68.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Dec 2009 03:41 #339060 by hardr0ck68
Ok the crankshaft is finally on it's way to APE. I decided on APE because of their price ~490 for lightening, polishing, and nitrideing where as the falicon supercrank was 500+ for just lightening and polishing. I also read comparisons of APE vs falicon work, it seems on a kz1000 the APE crank came out lighter, I figure I would rather have the crank be to light than not light enough... I am alright with the idea of slippin the clutch at 5G to get off the line, hell my buddy cant get his r6 to move with anything less than 8g. But I will be pissed if I spend all this time and money and can't clearly feel the difference.

I have decided to sent the zx600 transmission in as well for undercutting. the early zx6's are notorious for tranny problems and I don't want to be splitting these cases for the next 5 years at least!

1977 kz650 c1