KZ900 A4 in kansas

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
28 Mar 2011 22:12 - 28 Mar 2011 22:15 #441111 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
Sorry, I'm late to the party! :whistle: I must commend you krusty, I don't think I could read my threads from start to finish. Most of the info is in my swingarm thread though, and not my project thread...I'm sure you are aware. I did not modify my swingarm like slingshot showed because I did not have the welder or the experience to safely do the modification. I did however feel comfortable altering steel. I wanted to do the work myself rather than farm it out, so cutting the frame was my solution. Like Stu found out, simply spreading the frame splayes it out at the swingarm pivot, so your pivot bushings are no longer square to your swingarm. You could try to heat your frame to allow the tension to relax. I widened my frame nearly 1.5", so I needed to "accordion" my frame to widen it and keep the swingarm pivot points square. In hindsight, I should have made a new, STRAIGHT upper rear motor mount and bolted it in to keep the entire rear cradle square. As it is, I had to make a one off, asymetrical upper rear motor mount....I'll live :P If you decide you want to go the way I did it and have any questions, I'll give you my contact info and help any way I can. Of course, on top of everything, I had a frame support jig I made that was square and level so that I had a solid reference point to measure from. Several GOOD levels, string lines one good tape measure (don't mix and match tape measures) a couple straight edges and a line laser got me through it B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Last edit: 28 Mar 2011 22:15 by porchev914.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2011 22:17 #441113 by Krusty_47
Replied by Krusty_47 on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas

Stu Pidasole wrote: "If you don't mind me asking though Stu. Why are you so unhappy with the frame the way you did it?"

im ganna be honest. cutting it seemed easier at the time since i can weld/fabricate. easier dosnt meen best solution. when i cut the bottom brace/rear motor mount cross tube and spread it, the pivot was not square. i had to make more cuts to square the frame. if i was to do it all over again, i would modify the swingarm no doubt. i hope it all works out for you buddy. Joe

Thanks for letting me know Joe. I believe I read about the in Porchev's thread. Although no matter what I would have to cut out the swing are mounts to fit the larger swingarm mount and mounting equipment. It's going to be an evolution as I learn what will work and what won't. Any suggestion and help will be greatly appreciated.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

More
28 Mar 2011 22:41 #441120 by Krusty_47

porchev914 wrote: Sorry, I'm late to the party! :whistle: I must commend you krusty, I don't think I could read my threads from start to finish. Most of the info is in my swingarm thread though, and not my project thread...I'm sure you are aware. I did not modify my swingarm like slingshot showed because I did not have the welder or the experience to safely do the modification. I did however feel comfortable altering steel. I wanted to do the work myself rather than farm it out, so cutting the frame was my solution. Like Stu found out, simply spreading the frame splayes it out at the swingarm pivot, so your pivot bushings are no longer square to your swingarm. You could try to heat your frame to allow the tension to relax. I widened my frame nearly 1.5", so I needed to "accordion" my frame to widen it and keep the swingarm pivot points square. In hindsight, I should have made a new, STRAIGHT upper rear motor mount and bolted it in to keep the entire rear cradle square. As it is, I had to make a one off, asymetrical upper rear motor mount....I'll live :P If you decide you want to go the way I did it and have any questions, I'll give you my contact info and help any way I can. Of course, on top of everything, I had a frame support jig I made that was square and level so that I had a solid reference point to measure from. Several GOOD levels, string lines one good tape measure (don't mix and match tape measures) a couple straight edges and a line laser got me through it B)

I was planning on cutting the frame originally at the cradle. Then I was going to weld in 3/8th in steal slid in between the cut and rounded off to match the radius of the frame tubing. Then I have going to slice tubing that was the same size as the frame and welding it in. Making almost a diamond shape. I attached a crude Paint representation of what I'm talking about.

This would be if you were looking at it from the top.

I honestly think that would be the easiest way to go, provide plenty of support and keeps everything in line. Just lathe out some spacer for the swingarm and motor mounts and I'd be done. I believe it would be a total of 6 cuts and splices. 2 on the top of the cradle 2 at the bottom and 2 on the back bracing for the tail.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2011 10:29 #441197 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
mod the swingarm :) .

that's my .02.

it's your bike :whistle: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
02 Apr 2011 12:58 #442162 by Krusty_47
Ok so number one...Thinking about it and taking in all of your advice I have decided to see what I can do about modding the swing arm. I already have some ideas and I'll have to talk to my buddy and see how we can get it accomplished.

Number Two.

The mail man seemed to be in a cheerful mood when he dropped off this :-D

A huge thank you to PROXY. Sir you are the man.

This is my new to me Corbin Gunfight seat. Besides the burn mark where you sit this thing is prett much flawless. I am extreme happy to add it to the parts for my project.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
02 Apr 2011 14:05 #442174 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
whered ya find that nice seat?

More
02 Apr 2011 15:29 #442189 by Krusty_47

Stu Pidasole wrote: whered ya find that nice seat?

Proxy had it. Picked it up for 66 bucks including shipping.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

More
03 Apr 2011 00:21 #442286 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
kudos to proxy.

nice score to you krusty on the seat.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Apr 2011 00:30 #442287 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
Damn! $66 is a heckuva deal on any Corbin seat.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
03 Apr 2011 21:22 #442432 by Krusty_47
Yeah I can't wait to use it for sure. I couldn't believe the deal and couldn't pass it up. I really can't thank Proxy enough for it. It's one of the many missing piece I need for the project. If someone has Original side covers or knows of a place the has original replicas that you don't have to drill out that would be great.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
03 Apr 2011 21:29 #442434 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
good score man. lots of guys are running that seat.

More
03 Apr 2011 21:42 #442438 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas

Krusty_47 wrote: ...If someone has Original side covers or knows of a place the has original replicas that you don't have to drill out that would be great.

Listed at Z1E:

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3707

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3705

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD