KZ900 A4 in kansas

More
25 Mar 2011 21:46 #440447 by Krusty_47
Replied by Krusty_47 on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
Ok so here are some pics of the mounts as they stand right now. I'm pretty sure we are going to change the setup and just widen the frame and putting them back into the stock location.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Mar 2011 21:53 #440451 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
can you narrow the pivot on swingarm instead? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 Mar 2011 22:07 #440455 by Krusty_47
While that is an option I don't think I would be able to and keep the wheel on the center line and cut off the right side of the swingarm mount. I'm not very rushed on this so I'm going to get the front forks mounted next weekend and then I can see what I can do to mount the swingarm. I also have to consider chain clearance against the frame. The one thing that sucks about this swingarm is that the chain rider right down the left side.

The black rubber on the far side of the swingarm is the chain protector where the chain runs. Where it's mount now would rub against the frame. That's why I think widening the frame is the best option at this point.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

More
28 Mar 2011 15:21 #440994 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
keep us posted on your progress.porchev and stu pidasole have both widened their frames.

can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• rslingshot
  • Banned
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
More
28 Mar 2011 17:45 #441023 by rslingshot
Replied by rslingshot on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
Here is a couple of pics of a single sided swingarm fitting into a 89 gsxr which I know the 89 gsxr swingarm fits the kz so the sss can be made to fit the kz frame also without cutting and widening the frame. Just cut the swing arm on the right side remove the material you need to fit and weld it back up.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
28 Mar 2011 17:59 #441028 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
How the hell did I miss this thread? Well Krusty, looks like you have a good plan, and I like the VFR swinger and wheel. How much wider is the swingarm than the frame? If you plan on widening the frame, make sure to jig it up so everything stays straight. See porchev914's post, I know you have.

BTW my condolences on your father. I know it's been a while, but I lost my dad back in 2004, and I know what you are going through.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
28 Mar 2011 18:44 #441045 by Krusty_47
Yeah it was tough but my family got through it.

As for the width difference...We are talking less than half an inch. I will see about just cutting off that amount from the right side of the swingarm and see if it would line up right but I have the feeling it might not. I'll keep you all posted with pictures and write-ups as they come along.

And I have read through Porchev's thread about 4 times now. And I'm sure I'm not done reading through it.

Right now the rear wheel is lined up perfectly with the front but the chain would hit the frame the way it is now. I plan on jigging it up and widening the frame the all of 1/2 an inch I need to fit it in there and line it up correctly. That won't be for a couple of weeks as it's soccer season for the kids and we'll have 3 games every Saturday. Although I will have pictures of the front fork and tripple tree on the bike this weekend.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. We'll see how everything pans out. And don't worry there will be updates.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
28 Mar 2011 19:00 #441049 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
DONT CUT YOUR FRAME!!!!!

i did, and regret it. if anyone recommends cutting your frame give em a slap for me!

leave that damn frame alone, modify the swing arm. i would buy a diff frame, and modify my arm, but i have tons of hours in my frame allready. be smart.

More
28 Mar 2011 19:32 #441052 by Krusty_47
I'm going to do everything I can not to cut it. I would really rather not do that but I may not have a choice to get that wheel centered on the bike. I have no intension on cutting the frame at all. It's such a small difference that I may just jig it up and push the frame out the less than an inch I need. Put in the proper support and then put a torch on it to release the tension. Although, I am going to be taking a good long look at the swing arm and see what I might be able to do it it and make it work.

On the lighter side of things. I just got my new tapered steering bearings in today. I also just got done speaking with Proxy and picked up a Corbin Gunfighter on the cheap. Thank you so much Proxy.

So thinks are going as smoothly as they can and I can't complain at all.

If you don't mind me asking though Stu. Why are you so unhappy with the frame the way you did it?

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1

More
28 Mar 2011 21:36 #441093 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas

Krusty_47 wrote: I'm going to do everything I can not to cut it. I would really rather not do that but I may not have a choice to get that wheel centered on the bike....

Centerlines of front tract and rear track should be parallel, but need not overlap.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
28 Mar 2011 21:37 #441094 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic KZ900 A4 in kansas
"If you don't mind me asking though Stu. Why are you so unhappy with the frame the way you did it?"

im ganna be honest. cutting it seemed easier at the time since i can weld/fabricate. easier dosnt meen best solution. when i cut the bottom brace/rear motor mount cross tube and spread it, the pivot was not square. i had to make more cuts to square the frame. if i was to do it all over again, i would modify the swingarm no doubt. i hope it all works out for you buddy. Joe

More
28 Mar 2011 22:03 #441107 by Krusty_47

Patton wrote:

Krusty_47 wrote: I'm going to do everything I can not to cut it. I would really rather not do that but I may not have a choice to get that wheel centered on the bike....

Centerlines of front tract and rear track should be parallel, but need not overlap.

Good Fortune! :)

Ok so a half inch off to the right isn't going to be a big issue then? If so then that's what I will do. I can modify the swingarm to fit and hopefully it won't be bad. I would love to move it maybe a bit further to make sure there is clearance for the chain and less of an offset for the sprocket.

Just so you know this is the first bike I've ridden and modified so I'm unsure of what modifications will change the handeling. I've been doing tons of researching and I want to make sure I do it right. First and foremost I want to make sure its safe to ride. After that I want it to ride and handle well. And lastly I want it to look good and be a bike I can be proud of.

1976 KZ900 A4
1980 KZ1000 G1