Megasquirt (large images)

More
04 Aug 2008 23:20 #230246 by Makarth
Megasquirt (large images) was created by Makarth
so i finally got it it's awesome and it took me 5 minutes to mess up but thankfully i had a nifty little vacuum to unsolder it and do it. so enough chat.... it's pic time!

so yea i'm excited to get this thing rolling but i seriously hope it works. i'm pretty paranoid about something being on backwards or something

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2008 04:36 #230254 by Dave Sloan
Replied by Dave Sloan on topic Megasquirt (large images)
Is that a ver 3 board, are you going to run ms1 or 11?
Have fun it an addictive experience :laugh: :blink:

Z650B2 - Injected

More
05 Aug 2008 06:48 #230276 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Megasquirt (large images)
Yep, says V3.0 in upper right corner of the board :)

Megatunix has a bunch of different gauge types to select from,
and you cam plug the stimulator board into the MS, then plug the MS into your computer and play all day.

You have to make the "Vroom, Vroom" sounds yourself though :D

I really need to get the motor and the rest of the bike finished :(

KD9JUR

More
05 Aug 2008 10:27 #230310 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Megasquirt (large images)
ms II oh btw the manual says you can run the tach feature off points so i was wondering if it would work with the dyna s ignition. i want the ability for the board to fire the ignition so i can advance or retard the timing with megasquirt

More
05 Aug 2008 15:39 - 05 Aug 2008 15:44 #230356 by Dave Sloan
Bugger missed that steve :blush:Did you get my PM?
Yes it will run off of the dyna s but only for fuel, the tach feature that you mention is to give hte ecu an rpm signal.If you want to run ignition you have to come up with a missing tooth wheel and run a single vr or hall sensor (as the MS1 has only I ignition channel) , I have played with this setup for a year and have just recently gone to a dyna s until my house renovations and my gpz900 streetfighter are done and then I will re visit the ignition. The problem I had was that the bike started really badly. I believe that it has to do with the toothed wheel decoder in the extra code loosing sync because the cranking speed is not constant. (no flywheel weight and the starter clutch possibly slipping a bit.
Arrtuh on the ms forum has come up withh a solution using 2 hall sensors that he has had excellnt results with on his GS1100 turbo.

Z650B2 - Injected
Last edit: 05 Aug 2008 15:44 by Dave Sloan.

More
05 Aug 2008 16:31 - 05 Aug 2008 17:08 #230364 by steell
Just checked and saw a PM from you Dave, I must have read it then got distracted and forgot about it :(

Somewhere I was reading about running two channel ignition and using two pickups, it was ether the MS Extra forum or the adapter board forum on MSEFI. There are a number of adapter boards available for MS, I'm using one with four low impedance injector drivers on it so I can use GPz1100 injectors without resisters or a flyback board on MS ver 2.2 board. It juat seemed like the right way to use low impedance injectors.

There are other adapter boards for other stuff, and I think there is one that will let you use the Kawasaki ignition.

Here's the adapter board I'm using?

www.jbperf.com/p&h_board/

Going back to look for the ignition one.

Dual VR conditioner board, might help but it's not the complete answer.

www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

Maybe this will help (MS Extra code)

Many Mazda and Toyota engines utilise Nippondenso ignition which uses a dual wheel crank angle sensor (CAS) which has one 24 tooth wheel and a 2 or single tooth second wheel. This is also needed to run a 5cylinder engine in COP mode it can also be used inventively to give 4 cyl COP or could be used with the dual pickup crank trigger from SDS for 4cyl wasted spark.

Link to msextra ignition hardware page

Ignition coil driver board for driving up to four coils.

www.glensgarage.com/catalog/ignition-coi...ver-board-p-101.html

KD9JUR
Last edit: 05 Aug 2008 17:08 by steell.

More
05 Aug 2008 18:04 #230381 by Dave Sloan
the extra code runs the 2 kawa wasted spark coils no probelm the only probl;em is with really bad starting when you only run the crank sensor like I was but I am nor keen to try and adapt a 2nd sensor to read off of a cam. Arrtu has his 2 hall sesnors reading off of the same wheel butthe -1 tooth is set up so that only the one sensor reads it.He has been running it for a while now and has told me that it works great. As soon as I have a bit of spare time I will ask my mate Ian (newtyres1 on the ms forum)if he will give me a hand to make up a board to mount thhe 2 sensors and components on and I think it will work out great.
What are you doing about the charging output on the bike? Are you using hte original kawasaki indicators and taillight etc? We are looking at making up boards to fit these but not using bulbd but leds to save a fair bit of power, what do you think?

Z650B2 - Injected

More
06 Aug 2008 10:09 - 06 Aug 2008 10:12 #230511 by Makarth
Dave Sloan wrote:

the extra code runs the 2 kawa wasted spark coils no probelm the only probl;em is with really bad starting when you only run the crank sensor like I was but I am nor keen to try and adapt a 2nd sensor to read off of a cam. Arrtu has his 2 hall sesnors reading off of the same wheel butthe -1 tooth is set up so that only the one sensor reads it.He has been running it for a while now and has told me that it works great. As soon as I have a bit of spare time I will ask my mate Ian (newtyres1 on the ms forum)if he will give me a hand to make up a board to mount thhe 2 sensors and components on and I think it will work out great.
What are you doing about the charging output on the bike? Are you using hte original kawasaki indicators and taillight etc? We are looking at making up boards to fit these but not using bulbd but leds to save a fair bit of power, what do you think?

i'm ditching all the halogen bulbs and my dash is going into a card board box. basically i'll just use a palm with palmlog to read the engine speed and then guess actual speed on that. i wanna make this bike with as few lights as possible and maybe buy a HID kit and sell the extra that comes with it on this forum. as for the -1 tooth setup... i think im going to buy a ford EDIS system which translates the VR sensor into a square wave for the MS to read. I already have the ignition mod and low impedance flyback mod. I'll keep a watchful eye on the dual sensor though. Do you put the wheel in the points housing remove the centrifugal advancer? i was under the impression that you could run the ignition timing off dynaS and still let the MSII board fire the coils. Also as a side not i won't be using GPZ 1100 throttle bodies or injectors (i have both flyback circuits so i can run low or high impedance inj).

edit: as for your boards and LEDs.... i go to sparkfun.com they have just about everything you'll need or want including luxeon 5 watt bulbs which will blind someone :blink:

Last edit: 06 Aug 2008 10:12 by Makarth.

More
06 Aug 2008 13:42 #230551 by steell

Also as a side not i won't be using GPZ 1100 throttle bodies or injectors

You going to let us in on the secret? :)

GSXR?

Make them yourself?

Something else?

KD9JUR

More
06 Aug 2008 14:21 #230553 by Makarth
i'm going to attempt to make a plenum system with a single throttle body and maybe make like an intake scoop out of fiber glass that runs along the side of the gas tank like a vmax or something. it's just an idea. I'm CADing some stuff up to just get my idea down. i can photoshop something up if you wanna see what i had planned.

More
06 Aug 2008 19:48 #230585 by Makarth
heres a quick reference

More
06 Aug 2008 20:24 - 06 Aug 2008 20:25 #230590 by steell
Kind of related to something I've been thinking about.

I have a GPz750 aluminum swingarm on my KZ750E project bike, and there's lots of room above it with the airbox gone. I've been thinking about making an aluminum tank to fit in there and mount the GSXR fuel pump on the bottom of the tank, move the battery and electrics up to the top main tube where the gas tank sits, make a fake tank to cover where the tank used to be, and run two air ducts through there that would be fed by the two air scoops in a GSXR fairing and dump into a plenum feeding the GPz750 Turbo throttle bodies.

I probably won't do it though, as I'd like to get the thing finished this decade :D

By the way, where are you going to mount the injectors? In the runner between the plenum and the ports?

KD9JUR
Last edit: 06 Aug 2008 20:25 by steell.