Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 650 Project (slow progess, new pics) 10 May 2008 22:20 #212688

• cmmman
  • cmmman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
HI everyone, first of all this i have enjoyed this forum for a while and have gathered lots of info here that has helped alot.

I have had the bike since 2003. It had sitting in a shed and last registered in '93. As far as i can tell it is a 1977 650b frame with a 79 650D engine, SR tank, triple disks, painted fenders and tail. Odometer read around 6600. It had broken clutch,tach and speedo cables, torn up seat and needed tires. Considering the price, couldnt complain.
Tried starting it when i got it home and it ran but not well enough to ride.

Not much happened on the bike till 2005 when i rebuilt the carbs in the summer and got it running pretty well. I was going to just get an new seat and ride it but then i decided the project was going to go in another direction. This was a direct result of hen i was in college i used to watch alot of motorcycle shows on cable when i should have been doing homework. It is best described as a "bobber" style now.

Summer, 2006. The rear section of the frame was shortened and lowered, single seat and fender mounted to the swingarm. I pretty much did the frame mods and made the seat and fender in about a week, then called it good for the year.

Last summer, Total disasembly. Used chemical stripper on the wheels, tank, fenders, and fork lowers to remove the old finishes. The frame and these items were all painted the same color with Nason single stage urethane. the color i wanted was a dark gunmetal grey. I ended up with like a battleship grey looking color. Anyway the bike went back together, with alot of new parts. new bridgestone spitfire RWL tires, fork seals, chain, sprockets, countershaft, clutch pushrod, and shift rod seals, aftermarket front MC, made SS brake lines from parts from Pegasus racing, emgo pods, allen bolts on the frame, All balls in the neck, all new cables, and cleaned and painted various little things going back together. Was in a big hurry putting it together cause i needed it in one piece since i was moving, so some things didnt get the attention they need but oh well for now.

Here it is as it sits today.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cmmman.

KZ 650 Project 10 May 2008 22:25 #212689

• cmmman
  • User
Wow that first pic is huge. the body work is just red oxide primer now and is waiting for a final sanding and trying to find a color that will go with that :X grey.

Here is my lastest ebay score.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

KZ 650 Project 10 May 2008 22:27 #212691

• KzzIcan
  • User
Its looking good. We all have works in progress. I definitly like how you mounted that rear fender.

KZ 650 Project 10 May 2008 22:30 #212692

• cmmman
  • User
heres another, As far as i can tell from looking through the members photos of 650's This is a yoshimura pipe.
Would i be correct in sayin that? Its in really nice shape with only one small dent.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

Last edit: by cmmman. Reason: pic

KZ 650 Project 10 May 2008 22:34 #212694

• cmmman
  • User
heres the dent. Needs to be painted to look really good again, i think im going to use POR-15 Black velvet high temp. paint.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

KZ 650 Project 10 May 2008 22:42 #212696

• cmmman
  • User
KzzIcan wrote:

Its looking good. We all have works in progress. I definitly like how you mounted that rear fender.

In that pic it is just sitting on the tire. I made that sissy bar and the fender is pieces of 2 stock fenders welded together so the formed edge is all the way around.

I made wider shock mounts on the swingarm and the ends of the sissy bar serve as spacers for the shocks on the bottom since the top shock mounts are now wider than they were before.

These pics are kinda crummy, they are from a free 2 MP Cannon Powershot. Im going to try and gets some better ones tommorow.
1977 KZ650B, modified.

KZ 650 Project 11 May 2008 11:45 #212820

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Great project, yes that is a Yoshimura pipe. My 650 was the jig for making those pipes. Man you scored a great pipe their. After my first one was wrecked with my bike I found a pos that was full of dents. That little dent I wouldn't worrie about' that's where they hit anyway.
Mark

Oh yeah that's the [NON] EPA pipe too. the street legal one has a bigger tail piece.
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Last edit: by Mark Wing.

KZ 650 Project 12 May 2008 08:54 #213043

• cmmman
  • User
Mark Wing wrote:

Oh yeah that's the [NON] EPA pipe too. the street legal one has a bigger tail piece.

NON EPA, oh noB) maybe i should get rid of it, not.

I have yet to run the bike with the current pods, 4 into 1 configuration. I am about to make an order for some parts and I would like to get a jump on the changing in jetting and order new ones now.

Mark, i see you run vm29's with your yoshi modded engine. My engine is stock and run the stock vm24ss with the accelerator pump. I rebuilt with K&L kits and and rebuild kit for the acel. pump. the bike ran great.

From what i can gather in past posts, 110 main and 17.5 pilot would be spot on for a 4 into 1 and pods. Can anyone add anything from their experience? i would like to avoid buying multiple sets of jets if i dont have to.
1977 KZ650B, modified.

KZ 650 Project 12 May 2008 15:52 #213103

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Nice project!

I had a Yosh pipe like that when I bought my 650. Man was it loud but sure sounded sweet. It had no baffle in it.
You'll have to remove it to change your oil filter. No big deal. After many changes you'll be able to do it in the dark! :laugh:

Here it is with the pipe painted silver:

And in black:

I did find it made the back end of my bike black with soot as it's a short pipe, compared to the Kerker I have on it now.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

KZ 650 Project 12 May 2008 21:05 #213204

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
I hope someone else chimes in here but I think that sounds good on your jetting. I know with every thing done to my motor I run 122.5 mains and I think 17.5 or 20's pilots.
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

KZ 650 Project (Small amount of progress, Pics) 18 Jun 2008 23:07 #220830

• cmmman
  • User
I got some work done on the 650. I was checking the valve clearances so i figured i would paint the valve cover while im at it cause i cant stand to polish any thing, especially as bad as this engine is. Also made some block off plates for the smog system.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

KZ 650 Project (Small amount of progress, Pics) 18 Jun 2008 23:12 #220831

• cmmman
  • User
I took about half the thickness off the smog cover back since i took that first pic. the valve cover i milled the ribs off and the raised portion where the covers sit so it is flat. the paint i used is duplicolor engine enamel in cast iron finish color. in the pic you can see on dimple where i touched it in between coats.
1977 KZ650B, modified.
Attachments:

• Page: